Inflatable Spare Tire vs. Donut - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Inflatable Spare Tire vs. Donut

I have a 2017 hybrid, which came with neither of these options. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with either purchasing the inflatable spare tire kit ($434 on the Mopar site) or just buying a donut separately and keeping it in the cargo?

I went on tirerack.com, and it looks like their cheapest steel wheel+ tire combo is ($180), so definitely seems cheaper than buying OEM.

Either of these options, I guess would have to just sit in the cargo area, which sounds like it could be annoying and noisy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjake85 View Post
I have a 2017 hybrid, which came with neither of these options. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences with either purchasing the inflatable spare tire kit ($434 on the Mopar site) or just buying a donut separately and keeping it in the cargo?

I went on tirerack.com, and it looks like their cheapest steel wheel+ tire combo is ($180), so definitely seems cheaper than buying OEM.

Either of these options, I guess would have to just sit in the cargo area, which sounds like it could be annoying and noisy...
To me the issue boils down to where you plan to typically drive the vehicle. If you are mostly in-town or Interstate Highway driving, chances are you don't need a spare at all. If on the other hand you frequently travel to rural or backwoods places then a spare is kind of important. I'm not sure if your vehicle came with the Vacuum System, but if so there is a thread on the forum about removing such that the normal Spare Tire Kit can mount in it's place. To me the Vacuum is useless, not because it doesn't work but because we just don't use it. If you must have a Spare Tire then it would be preferable to have it hidden in the interior side-wall over having it laying in the Cargo space full-time. One Owner actually placed it on the Roof-Rack.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 07:48 PM

Good thought @wisejd , but @Crazyjake85 drives a hybrid and can't have either the spare or the vacuum because the 12V battery lives back there.

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
To me the issue boils down to where you plan to typically drive the vehicle. If you are mostly in-town or Interstate Highway driving, chances are you don't need a spare at all. If on the other hand you frequently travel to rural or backwoods places then a spare is kind of important. I'm not sure if your vehicle came with the Vacuum System, but if so there is a thread on the forum about removing such that the normal Spare Tire Kit can mount in it's place. To me the Vacuum is useless, not because it doesn't work but because we just don't use it. If you must have a Spare Tire then it would be preferable to have it hidden in the interior side-wall over having it laying in the Cargo space full-time. One Owner actually placed it on the Roof-Rack.

This was exactly our thought process when deciding to go with the vacuum delete on our Limited. More than a couple times per year, we go on pretty long road trips. Long stretches of rural road with no signs of civilization for 40 miles. While we have roadside assistance, we also have kids. A flat tire and a 2 hour wait for a tow truck was unacceptable, however unlikely that situation may be. A spare was mandatory, and giving up a vacuum we would literally never use was an easy choice to make that happen.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:15 AM

Garage
I was mislead when I bought the car because I asked where the spare tire was located and the sales man could not tell me exactly or did not want to tell me knowing that probable I was going to walk away from the deal if I knew that there was not a spare tire in my Pacifica. But later on at home when I found that out this is what I reasoned. The last time I used a spare tire was almost 15 years ago. The last time two times that I had a flat tire I never used the spare tire, I just over inflated the tired and that gave me long enough time to reach a place where the tire was fixed. In a long trip, the repair kit in our Pacifica will give me enough time to find a place to repair the tire. If you have doubts, buy a spare repair kit, no plugs but one of those spray cans, that will give you enough time to find a place to repair the flat tire. If you are a handy man there are repair kits with plugs, I have seen a friend of mine using one of those in a long trip, but again, to me is an over kill. If you are not over driving your tires the scenario of a flat tire where the tire is totally unfixable with a hole the side of your fit is totally unlikely. All you will see usually is a hole made by a nail that will deflate your tire slowly and those are fully fixable with these repair kits that are provided with your car and that include an air pump.

After reasoning all that, a spare tire is not longer in my list of must have in a car.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:00 AM

Garage
I understand the thought process in using the kit over the spare wheel; most in-use flats are from running over things like nails, and in that case my default action is Fix-A-Flat and get to a place to have the tire R/R'd. And like @citanic , I have not even had an issue for many years, so I was not uncomfortable with the kit. Of course, a tire can fail catastrophically, in which case only a different wheel will get you back on the road, but that's rare enough in my mind not to feel the need to carry one.

An alternative to either option would be keeping a can of quick fix like Fix-A-Flat, to at least have a backup plan. Neither of my other vehicles have spares or kits, just a spare can. Maybe I'm playing with fire, but all good so far anyway.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Garage
But a catastrophically failure in a tire can only happen if you have abused (over used) the tire. If you use to change tires when you should the only way for that to happens is if you hit something in the road that will cut your tire instead of punching it. The odds of something like that happening to you is at the level of getting hit by a lightning. Like I said, no having the spare tire as an option in my TL+ opened my mind to rethink the situation and scratch the spare tire from my mandatory must have in a car. If it's there, ok, if it's not there I'll not accept anything without a repair kit that includes an air pump. air pump in bold letters.

-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.

Last edited by citanic; 05-09-2018 at 10:11 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 AM

Garage
Hey, didn't mean to get you riled up there, sorry. Just putting out there that Fix-A-Flat can be an acceptable enough alternative to get you to a shop for a proper repair.
citanic likes this.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjake85 View Post

The spare tire kit from Mopar should come with a jack, so if you buy a donut tire, consider how you will change it. The van doesn't come with a jack.

We purchased the spare tire kit from Mopar shortly after purchasing the van almost two years ago and have not used it. We purchased a new Outback in January and last week (at less than 5,000 miles) had a nail/road hazard puncture in the tire within two miles of our house. (The tire pressure sensor indicated a problem was occurring.) Within minutes of pulling into the garage, the tire completely flattened from the fast leak. Tire repair places were closed. The Outback had a spare, the tire was changed, repair was made the next day, and the tire was changed back. We haven't had many flats over the years, but we like to have a spare tire anyway. Having some sort of spare gives you more options. We haven't tried the fix it goo yet.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Hey, didn't mean to get you riled up there, sorry. Just putting out there that Fix-A-Flat can be an acceptable enough alternative to get you to a shop for a proper repair.
I know. My issue with Fix-A-Flat is that still you need to inflate the tire in some way

-

2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page