What do you put in your cargo roof carrier? - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaMinivanFan View Post
Have two golden retrievers, so each needs her own kennel. You'd be surprised how much sh*t one must bring when traveling with two dogs. I forgot that some of the trips will be to outdoor canine events (agility, scent work). We will be bringing outdoor folding aluminum chairs, a collapsible EZ-UP tent, a floor mat for the tent, and some shade cloth. The lighter chairs, floor mat and shade cloth could go up above in the carrier with other light stuff, but the EZ-UP tent and leg weights would definitely stay in the vehicle.

Yes, we owned an old Sears car top box decades ago, but the new streamlined versions by Yakima, Thule and others are greatly improved over them. There are some discussions about them in this sub forum (which made me consider the idea to begin with). I am not tall, so you are correct that access will be difficult, but I have seen others at hotels and rest areas use collapsible aluminum kitchen step stools they brought along. Hmm, giving the idea consideration again.
A folding kitchen step stool is a good idea.

@Claudia Any suggestions for the kinds of things to put in a roof box when transporting dogs?
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/511470-post9.html

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 02:52 PM

Has anyone seen the Lamborghinis with the Thule roof racks?...they look cool, huh...they are the only only ones who really need them. Personally, if you can fill the Pacifica to the brim, with people and stuff to the roof that you still need a Thule carrier...then that's A LOT of stuff you're carrying. I personally think they are way cool and would look pretty tough on the top, but unless I use it regularly where the van is packed at capacity...it's not worth it other than visual cosmetics.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
A folding kitchen step stool is a good idea.
IMO, here's a better one. It's cheaper than a step stool, much more portable, and allows you to reach much higher:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doorstep/362494174507
Less the $10 shipped.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (213.1 KB, 23 views)
SciTchr likes this.

2017 Gas Touring L, Curt hitch, 13" aftermarket overhead screen
2018 Limited PacHy, Curt hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
2019 Limited S PacHy, Drawtite hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:48 PM

I don't understand the big draw of hard top cargo carriers. There are few scenarios where a hard top is a better option than a soft carrier in my opinion. A soft top is HUNDREDS of dollars cheaper. After the trip is done, they're easy to fold up and store. A quality bag is just as waterproof. And they conform to abnormal sizes if needed. I suppose a hardtop is slightly more secure for those leaving valuables in it while parked outside, though I question whether that's a good idea regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cargo.jpg (161.8 KB, 28 views)

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:21 PM

Will this carrier mess with rear camera or back up sensors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Will this carrier mess with rear camera or back up sensors?
The rear hitch-mounted cargo carrier will certainly prevent the back up sensors from being utilized. Though, the Pacifica will disable the sensors once it realizes they're being covered (page 336 of the 2019 manual). And it doesn't take much cargo to begin covering up the rear camera.

Though this thread is more about roof cargo, I certainly recommend rear cargo carriers. Particularly one with a 60"x24" platform. Versus roof carriers, they're easier to load, support more weight, yet don't diminish mileage (as much) or overhead clearance.
Bond007 likes this.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Have two golden retrievers, so each needs her own kennel. You'd be surprised how much sh*t one must bring when traveling with two dogs. I forgot that some of the trips will be to outdoor canine events (agility, scent work). We will be bringing outdoor folding aluminum chairs, a collapsible EZ-UP tent, a floor mat for the tent, and some shade cloth. The lighter chairs, floor mat and shade cloth could go up above in the carrier with other light stuff, but the EZ-UP tent and leg weights would definitely stay in the vehicle.

Yes, we owned an old Sears car top box decades ago, but the new streamlined versions by Yakima, Thule and others are greatly improved over them. There are some discussions about them in this sub forum (which made me consider the idea to begin with). I am not tall, so you are correct that access will be difficult, but I have seen others at hotels and rest areas use collapsible aluminum kitchen step stools they brought along. Hmm, giving the idea consideration again.
I thought of you when I saw this wheel step. A bit pricey, but it would be compact (but so would a folding step stool). I don't know how many people would pay $90 for this, but it might be work for some people. Just keeping the options open.
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-...l-step-_-16354

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:25 PM

That's funny, SciTchr. The wheel itself is a natural step and is the one spot where one doesn't need an extra step IMO.
SciTchr likes this.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotbot View Post
That's funny, SciTchr. The wheel itself is a natural step and is the one spot where one doesn't need an extra step IMO.
It was advertised on the Subaru website "build your own" vehicle as an extra accessory. Not everyone would think to step on the wheel. (Thanks for mentioning that.) Some people might prefer the extra support a shelf might provide. I just thought it was interesting.

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-21-2019 at 01:39 AM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:07 AM

Garage
Quote:

Is this a hobby or is this a profession? Sounds like a lot of work either way. I noticed the amount of information you include in your signature. Nice

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page