What do you put in your cargo roof carrier? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

What do you put in your cargo roof carrier?

I believe the weight capacity of the Pacifica roof rack system is 150 lbs. If a cargo roof carrier (Yakima, Thule, etc) weights around 50 lbs, that leaves about 100 lbs of cargo. For those who use them on long trips, what do you commonly put in them? And what do you avoid putting in them?

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaMinivanFan View Post
I believe the weight capacity of the Pacifica roof rack system is 150 lbs. If a cargo roof carrier (Yakima, Thule, etc) weights around 50 lbs, that leaves about 100 lbs of cargo. For those who use them on long trips, what do you commonly put in them? And what do you avoid putting in them?
I'd only put the light bulky stuff up there; it's difficult to get at. But just for the record, I'd pack more carefully, and avoid taking stuff before using a roof rack. You'll know it's there all the time, and especially at gas fill-ups.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Waldo. Does anyone who actually uses a Yakima/Thule-type roof carrier on road trips want to chime in?

Molten silver exterior
Advanced Safety Tech
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
We used an overhead box when going on extended trips when we had 6 or 7 people in our Grand Caravan van that didn't have the stow and go space. We haven't tried our Dodge GC roof carrier on our Pacifica yet, but we put things like jackets, special occasion clothes in a garment bag, shoes, diapers, beach towels, a sleeping bag, and other random stuff that we didn't need to access often or take into the motel every night on a long trip. It just depends on where you drive, who goes with you, and what you plan to do while there.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Waldo. Does anyone who actually uses a Yakima/Thule-type roof carrier on road trips want to chime in?

I use mine all the time for ski trips. Super easy to throw a bunch of skis up there and doesnít matter if they are still a bit wet or snow covered on the way back.

Also use it for car camping trips. Great for things like sleeping bags and such.

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 10:18 AM

I don't suppose anyone had ever considered stowing the mis-behaving child up there.... nahhhh.... we'd NEVER think of doing something like THAT........

What IS that thumping noise I keep hearing??
Bond007 and Waldo like this.

Last edited by Teejay1959; 02-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Thread Starter here. Thanks for replies. Ok, I'm having second thoughts about getting a roof carrier. We travel with two dogs, each in their own kennel located just behind the front seats. The second and third row seats are stowed. We pack two additional kennels (collapsed, of course) for the dogs to use in hotels, along with a bunch of other things for the dogs (bowls, food, leashes, harnesses, etc) with which we will need ready access. I store the kennels on their long ends, one along the right side of the rear area, the other along the left (with towels between the metal kennel and the plastic trim of the car). I also pack a small cache of tools and auto supplies (windshield washer fluid, etc), but need quick access to them, too. We pack our clothes and other items in carry-on size suit cases that can fit in the cargo carrier (properly secured), but it will get plenty hot up there, so probably not a good idea. Would not want to put computer up there either. That would leave extra towels, sheets to protect top of hotel bed from dogs, outerwear, and a few other soft items that could fit up above, but it isn't worth it if that's all for which we use it. Was hoping the roof carrier would help free up some room. Guess I'll just work on organizing things better.

Molten silver exterior
Advanced Safety Tech
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:12 PM

You definitely should have second thoughts. I had a roof carrier a long time ago - I found it impacted handling in the wind and turns, was hard to access, wasn't waterproof, and caused poor mileage.
Can't both dogs go in 1 kennel? Do you really need spare kennels? Unless you are moving, 2 adults and 2 dogs ought to have plenty of room for all their crap in a pacifica.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Thread Starter here. Thanks for replies. Ok, I'm having second thoughts about getting a roof carrier. We travel with two dogs, each in their own kennel located just behind the front seats. The second and third row seats are stowed. We pack two additional kennels (collapsed, of course) for the dogs to use in hotels, along with a bunch of other things for the dogs (bowls, food, leashes, harnesses, etc) with which we will need ready access. I store the kennels on their long ends, one along the right side of the rear area, the other along the left (with towels between the metal kennel and the plastic trim of the car). I also pack a small cache of tools and auto supplies (windshield washer fluid, etc), but need quick access to them, too. We pack our clothes and other items in carry-on size suit cases that can fit in the cargo carrier (properly secured), but it will get plenty hot up there, so probably not a good idea. Would not want to put computer up there either. That would leave extra towels, sheets to protect top of hotel bed from dogs, outerwear, and a few other soft items that could fit up above, but it isn't worth it if that's all for which we use it. Was hoping the roof carrier would help free up some room. Guess I'll just work on organizing things better.
I didn't mean to make the roof top box seem inaccessible. It was just easier to put stuff up there that needed to be transported on a trip that we didn't need all the time. Consider the height of the person accessing the roof top box and whether he/she can stand in the sliding door frame to get what is needed if necessary.
I have to admit that my 6 ft husband usually put things into or took things out of the box on our GC.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoninDel View Post
You definitely should have second thoughts. I had a roof carrier a long time ago - I found it impacted handling in the wind and turns, was hard to access, wasn't waterproof, and caused poor mileage.
Can't both dogs go in 1 kennel? Do you really need spare kennels? Unless you are moving, 2 adults and 2 dogs ought to have plenty of room for all their crap in a pacifica.
Have two golden retrievers, so each needs her own kennel. You'd be surprised how much sh*t one must bring when traveling with two dogs. I forgot that some of the trips will be to outdoor canine events (agility, scent work). We will be bringing outdoor folding aluminum chairs, a collapsible EZ-UP tent, a floor mat for the tent, and some shade cloth. The lighter chairs, floor mat and shade cloth could go up above in the carrier with other light stuff, but the EZ-UP tent and leg weights would definitely stay in the vehicle.

Yes, we owned an old Sears car top box decades ago, but the new streamlined versions by Yakima, Thule and others are greatly improved over them. There are some discussions about them in this sub forum (which made me consider the idea to begin with). I am not tall, so you are correct that access will be difficult, but I have seen others at hotels and rest areas use collapsible aluminum kitchen step stools they brought along. Hmm, giving the idea consideration again.

Molten silver exterior
Advanced Safety Tech
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page