Spare key and fob use - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Spare key and fob use

so I has everybody got two keys plus I have a key sensor I have three keys to that just cut a one key for the emergency door lock key. My issue is if I lose the key in my pocket but I use a hide a key that means I got to keep another key fob in the car it'll start the car if someone breaks in..likely it was superficial and if so what to do keep a spare fob in the car take out the battery so they can't use it in case I have to use the hide a key to get into the car if I lost my key?

@019 Pacifica Touring L Advanced Safety Tech Group, S Appearance Package, Premium Audio Group, Key Sense, Uconnect 4C NAV w/ 8.4 " Display and Jazz Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
so I has everybody got two keys plus I have a key sensor I have three keys to that just cut a one key for the emergency door lock key. My issue is if I lose the key in my pocket but I use a hide a key that means I got to keep another key fob in the car it'll start the car if someone breaks in..likely it was superficial and if so what to do keep a spare fob in the car take out the battery so they can't use it in case I have to use the hide a key to get into the car if I lost my key?
I get that you are asking a question about keys - but I read your post several times and gave up trying to figure out what you are asking.
Lily and brado1 like this.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

I'm sorry this Android voice recognition doesn't work so good. I would just like to have an emergency entrance and starting option for my car. I made an emergency key at home Depot yesterday. I can use the key to enter the car if I lost my keys however I can't start the car unless I need leave another fob in the car. However if I leave a fob in the car and leave my car unlocked or someone breaks into my car they can then start my car. My thought is I can leave a spare fob in the car and take out the battery so as not to work unless mean emergency once I enter the car I can put the battery back in the fob to start my car. Any other better ideas?

@019 Pacifica Touring L Advanced Safety Tech Group, S Appearance Package, Premium Audio Group, Key Sense, Uconnect 4C NAV w/ 8.4 " Display and Jazz Blue

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:23 AM

Garage
I think this question is well worth thinking trough given that most of us have driven vehicles with a key ignition vs. a push-button engine start in past years. This past paradigm may have us look at the "hidden" key on our key fob and think we have a good backup if we put that key in our pocket, however there is no keyhole to actually start the engine. Thus, we can get back in the vehicle if we have lost the key fob but can't actually drive the vehicle. The original post author would need a backup key fob in a lead covered box hidden in the vehicle to use the backup key and then use the hidden extra key fob to get rolling again.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:17 AM
dmj

Quote:
My thought is I can leave a spare fob in the car and take out the battery so as not to work unless mean emergency once I enter the car I can put the battery back in the fob to start my car. Any other better ideas?
Here's what you need:
https://www.amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-S.../dp/B00Y3FLYWG
This bag blocks radio frequencies. The car shouldn't "see" the fob when it's in the bag, thus allowing you to hide the (inactive) fob inside the car. The car won't start until the fob is removed from the bag.
DoninDel likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Faraday key Pouch

Thanks for the great advice, that will do the trick!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

You can buy on ebay for about $2.00 from china or about $5.00 in US.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great advice, that will do the trick!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...acat=0&_sop=15

You can buy on ebay for about $2.00 from china or about $5.00 in US.
Yep, or get his and hers (2) shipped from U.S. for under $6 like this (this e-Bay listing ends soon):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Anti-T...QAAOSwUv5bZQ5F

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:35 PM

And if you are keeping that key hidden inside the car, I would take out the battery and place a couple new unopened ones as well in the bag. There is a good likelihood that you may never even have to use that key and during the astronomically low probability of you losing your original key but not losing the manual cut key and are able to access the car, you donít wanna be stuck with a dead battery. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MLambert likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:21 PM

I would also take the battery out of the spare fob and know for sure.

Also, I think that if you lock the van up and leave it as normal, but return and open the door with only a key it will set off the alarm.
Bond007 likes this.

Pat
17 Pacifica Touring L

Previous vans:
08 T&C Touring
00 T&C 3.8
95 GV 3.3
89 Caravan 3.0
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj View Post
Here's what you need:
https://www.amazon.com/Keyfob-RFID-S.../dp/B00Y3FLYWG
This bag blocks radio frequencies. The car shouldn't "see" the fob when it's in the bag, thus allowing you to hide the (inactive) fob inside the car. The car won't start until the fob is removed from the bag.
Simply wrapping the key fob in aluminum foil works too and you probably already have that in your kitchen.
pachyderm likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page