info/advice on the 8th seat option - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

info/advice on the 8th seat option

I've narrowed down my search for a new Pacifica to the Limited trim. I am considering getting one with the 8th seat (no sunroof due to seatbelt placement). My question is how useful is the 8th seat for seating teens and adults? We also have a Toyota Camry and my kids fit fine in the back seat. Although we are a family of 5 I like the versatility of being able to take 8 adults. Is this realistic with that as the 8th seat? Also how well do 3 adults fit in the back seat? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 10:40 PM

I was really torn between the 8th seat or sunroof cause I never use the rear seats and so always stowed....so I thought ok, I can do a 5 passenger, but the sunroof won over that.

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

I just got back from the dealer and decided that when I finally buy one it will be with the 8th seat. I measured the middle seats with the 8th seat installed and found it to be roughly 51". Our Camry is about 54". Both have about 10" between the belts in the middle. For me there were a couple of determining factors. The sunroof is very cool, but even within the test drive time the novelty wore off for my wife and myself. We have 2 cars with sunroofs and almost never use them, but the Pacifica sunroof is very nice. If you are a true sunroof person I can see how the sunroof might win out.

So, for me the 8th passenger might be a little cramped, but it would beat taking 2 cars. The real deciding factor though was when I measured the back (3rd row) seat. The width of the back seat is only 46" with 8" between the belts. That could be really cramped for adults. When I have 5: it will be 2-2-1, for 6: 2-2-2, but when I have 7: it will be 2-3-2 (and of course 8: 2-3-3). The back seat (like on all mini vans is really narrow for 3 adults.
White Mocha likes this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy-o View Post
I just got back from the dealer and decided that when I finally buy one it will be with the 8th seat. I measured the middle seats with the 8th seat installed and found it to be roughly 51". Our Camry is about 54". Both have about 10" between the belts in the middle. For me there were a couple of determining factors. The sunroof is very cool, but even within the test drive time the novelty wore off for my wife and myself. We have 2 cars with sunroofs and almost never use them, but the Pacifica sunroof is very nice. If you are a true sunroof person I can see how the sunroof might win out.

So, for me the 8th passenger might be a little cramped, but it would beat taking 2 cars. The real deciding factor though was when I measured the back (3rd row) seat. The width of the back seat is only 46" with 8" between the belts. That could be really cramped for adults. When I have 5: it will be 2-2-1, for 6: 2-2-2, but when I have 7: it will be 2-3-2 (and of course 8: 2-3-3). The back seat (like on all mini vans is really narrow for 3 adults.
A sunroof is one of those beautiful things to have even if you rarely use it. I don't think I'd pay extra for one, but it broke my heart to have mine taken away to be replaced with what I believe to be worse than worthless 20" wheels. It's mostly the wheels that upset me, honestly. Now my insurance payments are going to be higher (because people only bother stealing wheels that are 20" or bigger), tire replacement more expensive, and the ride will be bumpier. Oh yeah, and I don't get the beautiful sunroof that's built into the limited price. I get so angry thinking about it.
BrettP likes this.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:33 AM

we got the 8 passenger and wish we got the 7, since my daughter loves the 3rd row, so the 2 seats on 2nd row is stowed all the time and she loves the big room, one useful thing for the 8th passenger seat that cannto be stowed is we use that to anchor the dog's leash seatbelt anchor, but it would be cleaner if we do not have the 8th seat. I know i can always take it out but another thing to add in the garage lol
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoncaravanman View Post
I was really torn between the 8th seat or sunroof cause I never use the rear seats and so always stowed....so I thought ok, I can do a 5 passenger, but the sunroof won over that.
If you never use the rear seats, why would you be torn? Seems like the sunroof would be a no-brainer in your case.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

I guess the bottom line is that people have different needs, and it's nice that different options are out there for different buyers. I just wanted to do my homework before committing. I read a review from someone who was felt "cheated" when she traded in her 2015 T & C (that was loaded) for a Pacifica. She complained that it did not have video screens like her T & C. I'm not sure how you buy a model without them instead of one with them and then get upset...

That's fun for your daughter that she has the big space, but I'm guessing there may be a time down the road when you will all be happy that she can take 5 friends with her somewhere.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builttwospill View Post
A sunroof is one of those beautiful things to have even if you rarely use it. I don't think I'd pay extra for one, but it broke my heart to have mine taken away to be replaced with what I believe to be worse than worthless 20" wheels. It's mostly the wheels that upset me, honestly. Now my insurance payments are going to be higher (because people only bother stealing wheels that are 20" or bigger), tire replacement more expensive, and the ride will be bumpier. Oh yeah, and I don't get the beautiful sunroof that's built into the limited price. I get so angry thinking about it.

I cannot understand your issues. Did you not read the specs of the vehicle you bought? How was the sunroof "taken away"?
Also, when was the last time your insurance company asked the size of your wheels? My 20" wheels are fitted with a keyed lug nut on each wheel, make stealing considerably more difficult, and the ride is considerably better that the four previous Dodge minivans I have owned, and the larger tire will get a better life due to the greater circumference. So don't believe all you read on-line.

Tony

Limited. Vel. Red/Alloy
Vac removed/Spare added
7seats/Full sunroof
Reg. Uconnect 8.4
20" wheels with Falken ZIEX tyres
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:37 PM

We got the eight seat for a just in case situation. Its nice to have if needed but otherwise it sits out of the car. Does anyone know of a floor mat to cover the plastic and anchor points for the eighth seat?
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrparne View Post
We got the eight seat for a just in case situation. Its nice to have if needed but otherwise it sits out of the car. Does anyone know of a floor mat to cover the plastic and anchor points for the eighth seat?
The Mopar slush mats should work. They include a removable section that fits between the 2 second row seats. Not sure how flat it would sit over the anchors though.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page