Remove headrests 2nd row - Page 8 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

That’s no good. I’d love to see the photos of the new design. There has to be a way to get them out. Just may not be as simple as the older design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:42 PM

I’m trying to remove the headrests on a 2018 touring l plus. I believe I have the same issue as the last poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0BB0D27D-4344-4CC2-A7B4-C9DFC3489918_1557510194989.jpg (94.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg A6A2E897-6DC2-4A9D-85DF-807BB741A324_1557510222146.jpg (80.7 KB, 45 views)
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpacifica View Post
Can you provide more info on your "retaining pin removal tool" please?
A Vault Boy siting!
To remain on topic...
I choose to keep my 2nd row headrests intact so my sons can be comfortable while playing Fallout 76 on the PS4 in my PacHy Limited.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 PM

Thomma12, I have the exact same looking plastic clips on my headrest. I am not a mechanically inclined person so i was unable to figure out how to remove them without snapping them to pieces. Did you have any luck?
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM

No I haven’t - I’m pretty frustrated with it. I love the van for the most part but the headrest issue is ridiculous - most people with minivans have kids and having kids means several years with car seats. Very disappointed that making sure a car seat could be safely installed wasn’t a priority in the design. My fault for not checking but it’s MINIVAN and I’ve also never came across an issue of not being able to remove a headrest. That part makes me miss the Honda I traded in.
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:45 PM

I'm just posting to see if anyone else has solved the issue on the 2019 Models. I took the seat back off and did a little bit of investigation. I think the Plastic clip we're seeing may actually be a part of the new "headrest guide" that came with this model. I can't find the current part on Mopars page, but here is the old headrest guide (parts.donjacksoncdj.com/oem-parts/mopar-headrest-guide-5rn60dx9ad?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9c2Vjb25kLXJvdy1zZWF0cyZsP TEwMiZuPUFzc2VtYmxpZXMgUGFnZSZhPWNocnlzbGVyJm89cGF jaWZpY2EmeT0yMDE5JnQ9bGltaXRlZCZlPTMtNmwtdjYtZ2Fz) . (Sorry for the ridiculous long URL, new posters can't submit links apparently). I'm no expert, but it looks like the plastic clip may be a redesigned part of this, rather than what is holding the headrest rod in. I can't seem to figure out how the rod is being held in though, at least not without a full service manual.
post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

Any update on if a solution has been discovered for the new-style 2019 headrests?
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM

I was looking at forum posts about this issue, hoping someone had figured this out.
I just spent about a half an hour on our new 2019 Pacifica, looking for a release mechanism for the 2nd row stow-and-go headrests - from the back of the seat - with the back cover removed.
I did find the release pin, but it is not accessed from the seat back.
So, after removing the cable release for the headrest, I moved the seat back to its upright position.

If you feel around the top of the seat along the front, just under the plastic headrest rail guides - there is a bump. If you move the fabric down past that bump, you will see a metal clip.
I took these pictures after I had removed the metal retaining clips. The clip fits in that slot visible in the attached pictures, and locks the headrest rail in place. I used a hook type tool to pull the pin out of each plastic guide - and the headrest rail is released. Now you can remove the headrest and the attached cable portion.

There is only a single catch on each of headrest rails, which is the reason they are not adjustable.

Now my Diono RXT's will fit correctly in the 2nd row seats, with the headrests removed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stow-and-go headrest clip_3.jpg (646.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg stow-and-go headrest clip location_2.jpg (196.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg stow-and-go headrest clip location_1.jpg (233.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by djcatinhat; Yesterday at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in