Remove headrests 2nd row - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Remove headrests 2nd row

Well, I finally did it, I needed to get those **** headrests off of the second row seats and after a quick pry of the rear plastic panel, I just had to unsnap one connector and viola, no headrests in the way of my child seats. Much better fitment without the headrests in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7166.jpg (268.4 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7163.jpg (137.3 KB, 710 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7165.jpg (95.0 KB, 691 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the info and the pics. So you removed the rear panel on the back of the 2nd row seats and unsnap the headrest connection and then remove. Sweet.

Can you take a pic of what it looks like with the headrests removed? Is it just 2 holes at the top of the seat?
post #3 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

I assume it's just as easy to reinstall them if needed? I'm thinking about state inspection time.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

post #4 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Reinstall is reverse, should be no issue unless you get a little over zealous and break one of the Christmas tree connectors (yellow tabs). Or if you snap the little casing that the release cable snaps into, but the plastic seems pretty flexible and as long as you're careful you should be okay. And the push retainers came out pretty easily as well, it helps to have the right release tool for that, but I did one seat with my bare hands and then once I saw what I was dealing with I went and grabbed my retaining pin removal tool for the other seat.
And as far as photos, I didn't grab any of the seat after, but yes you are left with the two holes from where the headrest goes into the seatback.
post #5 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Can you provide more info on your "retaining pin removal tool" please?
post #6 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Photos of the tool and the headrest removed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7405.jpg (148.5 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7403.jpg (186.5 KB, 545 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7404.jpg (180.4 KB, 511 views)
post #7 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuter View Post
Well, I finally did it, I needed to get those **** headrests off of the second row seats and after a quick pry of the rear plastic panel, I just had to unsnap one connector and viola, no headrests in the way of my child seats. Much better fitment without the headrests in the way.
Excellent... now how about the third row? I rented a Pacifica today and it was interesting trying to get a FF car seat back there. I ended up reclining the seat, installing the car seat, and moving the seat back forward as far as it would go.

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 76 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:50 AM

Interesting! I'm thinking of removing my 2nd row headrests in order to make it easier to "stow" the seats in the floor wells. As is now, even with the front row seats moved all the way forward, the headrests are in the way on both lowering and raising the seats if you try to do it with the OEM floor mats in place. Seems crazy to have to remove the floor mats every time you stow the seats when all you need is about 1" of extra clearance. I think the designers/engineers overlooked the additional clearance needed when you have the floor mats in place.

2017 Limited (built 9/29/16 at 6am)
Tusk White with black/mocha interior
Advanced Safety Tech
18" wheels
KeySense fob only because the dealer wouldn't take it off!
Bought a spare tire to keep in Stow n' Go well behind Driver.
post #9 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 04:54 PM

I followed your directions but our BRAND NEW pacifica limited has a metal ring stopper" preventing the head restraint rods from exciting the seat. I'm not a mechanic so pardon the lack of correct terms. The metal ring stopper in a different color mental. I tried to use pliers and a wrench. No dice.
post #10 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavs_20 View Post
I followed your directions but our BRAND NEW pacifica limited has a metal ring stopper" preventing the head restraint rods from exciting the seat. I'm not a mechanic so pardon the lack of correct terms. The metal ring stopper in a different color mental. I tried to use pliers and a wrench. No dice.
I wonder if they added that ring to keep folks from pulling them out. My van is an early build, so that may have been a revision. Can you photo the ring?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page