Three boosters in the 3rd row? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Three boosters in the 3rd row?

Any paciifca owners out there have success with putting three highback or harness boosters (combination of both or with one convertible is ok too) across the 3rd row? I know they would have to be installed using seatbelts and maybe tethers rather than LATCH, which is ok with us.

We have been going back and forth between buying the Pacifica and the VW Atlas and we honestly can’t agree which would be better for 5 car seats/boosters (we have 4 children right now but might have one more baby while owning this next car). I thought minivans would be self evidently best for maximum car seat installations but the more I read about this issue the less sure I am.

(Yes, we could try three across with the 8 seater middle bench and two in the back but I read most car seats installed in the center 2nd row seat on the Pacifica impede the easy tilt functiion of the outboard seats. So we’d like to be sure we could do three in the back as an option anyway).

I replied on an old thread about this topic but want to start a new thread too in case it catches someone’s eye. Thanks for your insights!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Ive done three boosters in the back but the one in the middle I had to use a much smaller one (bubble bum). Outside ones were standard graco boosters. Little effort making sure everyones clipped but all worked out and felt like all were safe and secure.

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:37 PM

Are you really sure you want an SUV with having 5 kids...???

The Atlas can only place two car seats in the 3rd row, and you'll be forced to place remaining three in the 2nd row.
In the Pacifica, if you can squeeze three car seats in the third row, then you can use the remaining two seats in the center and driver side 2nd row seats, leaving the passenger side second row stowed in permanently for easier ingress and egress.
In addition, you already know that with small kids come a lot more baggage while traveling. With all your interior space used up with car seats and kids (I know how quickly it fills up...), you'll need more space in your cargo which the Pacifica has way better than Atlas....and you can use the stow n' go space for storage as well (You won't be stowing those seats with car seats installed). Any car's interior will feel really congested after fitting several car seats. You'll feel a lot better if you have a walkway in the middle or side with the minivan.
Kids and car doors do not mate well. Sliding doors are your friend here.
There is simply no way you can convince yourself practically that an SUV is much better than a minivan in this scenario. However, if you really like an Atlas and driving it makes you feel better, sure go ahead, accept the compromises and there's nothing stopping you. After all life is full of compromises anyway.

I'm sure you'd probably have seen this review which the Atlas wins.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-c...1420700957054/

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4under6 View Post
Any paciifca owners out there have success with putting three highback or harness boosters (combination of both or with one convertible is ok too) across the 3rd row? I know they would have to be installed using seatbelts and maybe tethers rather than LATCH, which is ok with us.

We have been going back and forth between buying the Pacifica and the VW Atlas and we honestly can't agree which would be better for 5 car seats/boosters (we have 4 children right now but might have one more baby while owning this next car). I thought minivans would be self evidently best for maximum car seat installations but the more I read about this issue the less sure I am.

(Yes, we could try three across with the 8 seater middle bench and two in the back but I read most car seats installed in the center 2nd row seat on the Pacifica impede the easy tilt function of the outboard seats. So we'd like to be sure we could do three in the back as an option anyway).

I replied on an old thread about this topic but want to start a new thread too in case it catches someone's eye. Thanks for your insights!
Not exactly what you were looking for, but I couldn't resist posting the link to a photo of a van with lots of carseats.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/504378-post21.html

I assume the 3rd row carseats or boosters in the photo must be seatbelted in as opposed to using the LATCH system. I don't know what the rules on child seats are, but at some point your oldest child might not need a carseat. A minivan with sliding doors makes getting kids into carseats so much easier. My four children are out of carseats, but I really liked having a van with young kids. The older ones sat in the back and the younger ones sat in the middle.

If you end up with an 8 passenger van and want the baby in the center of the second row, here is a link with a suggestion for car seats.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/548343-post15.html

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-20-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by apnar View Post
Ive done three boosters in the back but the one in the middle I had to use a much smaller one (bubble bum). Outside ones were standard graco boosters. Little effort making sure everyones clipped but all worked out and felt like all were safe and secure.
Thanks! The Bubble bum wouldn't work for us (and they are changing recommendations for the safety of those apparently...) but that does help with a sense of the width potential!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks! The Bubble bum wouldn't work for us (and they are changing recommendations for the safety of those apparently...) but that does help with a sense of the width potential!
It may be possible to find a medium set that might go three across if you needed to always have them in place. I just needed it for a one-off so used what I had handy. Specifically the two I had on the sides were these:

AFFIX? Youth Booster Car Seat with Latch System | gracobaby.com

2018 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Oct. 2017 build
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that info!

I did see that picture before posting and the kid in the back middle isn't in a booster so it's still a mystery! She also didn't say one way or the other if that configuration, with three convertible car seats in the center row, impeded the use of Easy Tilt - which is actually our main requirement for a vehicle. So if we can't reliably use that feature we won't buy. It is now recommended that children should be in boosters (preferably the high back kind) until at least 10, probably older. And they keep inching up all these recommendations every year, which is why it is obnoxious so many car companies haven't caught up with that changing reality. Wherever a child passenger could be seated a car/seat booster of some kind should fit/be accommodated.

The Pacifica is decent on this issue and there are other perks to consider, but they not the best. Safety first and all that. ;-)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that info!

I did see that picture before posting and the kid in the back middle isn't in a booster so it's still a mystery! She also didn't say one way or the other if that configuration, with three convertible car seats in the center row, impeded the use of Easy Tilt - which is actually our main requirement for a vehicle. So if we can't reliably use that feature we won't buy. It is now recommended that children should be in boosters (preferably the high back kind) until at least 10, probably older. And they keep inching up all these recommendations every year, which is why it is obnoxious so many car companies haven't caught up with that changing reality. Wherever a child passenger could be seated a car/seat booster of some kind should fit/be accommodated.

The Pacifica is decent on this issue and there are other perks to consider, but they not the best. Safety first and all that. ;-)
This was from an earlier post in the same thread mentioned above about three carseats in the center row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia3 View Post
Yup! And you can still tilt the seats to access the back without difficulty. I LOVE the 8th seat and flexibility the Pacifica offers. During the winter we’re thinking about stowing a seat and putting a kid in the third row.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While we all want our children to be safe in the vehicle and may follow the extended safety recommendations, I would also check your state laws on what age/weight/height is required to be in a child seat or booster. The shape, size, height, and weight of the child may also factor in to figuring out the appropriate carseats after legal requirements are met. It may also depend on the type of vehicle you have and the type of shoulder straps available.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-20-2019 at 06:43 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
This was from an earlier post in the same thread mentioned above about three carseats in the center row.

While we all want our children to be safe in the vehicle and may follow the extended safety recommendations, I would also check your state laws on what age/weight/height is required to be in a child seat or booster. The shape, size, and weight of the child may also factor in to figuring out the appropriate carseats after legal requirements are met. It may also depend on the type of vehicle you have and the type of shoulder straps available.
Um. Yeah. I think since we are buying a car and have a choice here we will go with the safest possible options. Car accidents are the number 1 killer of children in this country. I am generally skeptical about things like this and even with car seats we don't do the absolute guidelines by the letter (all my kids ff, for example) I think they'll all be in high back boosters for a long time (my oldest is only 5) so we will get a car that accommodates that reality.

Appreciate you pointing out that comment in the thread. There it appears they were talking about the easy tilt functioning if you have an infant seat in the middle and take out the seat and use the tilt feature with just the base. The Car Seat Lady did say some narrow infant seats (the one we have probably qualifies) can be installed rear facing and not impact the tilt feature as well. I get that is possible but we'd want to be able to use a convertible in that seat placement without impacting Tilt. BUT your comment raises the point that the person who shared that picture might have also been able to get it work with her three ff convertibles. Earlier in the thread there was someone who tested a rf diono (narrowest convertible carseat on the market) and it impeded the tilt feature. But you never know! Something might still work.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

The linked article above about the Atlas basically proved the point of our conundrum. We think mini vans are the obvious choice for big families but the more we map out logistics the more complex the Pacifica gets for us. We currently drive an Explorer and the only real issue is third row access. Sliding doors and more cargo capacity is definitely on our pro list for the Pacifica, and we'd welcome an aisle if the third row truly saw three across, but the loss of AWD and the car seat conundrum is a major issue. We don't need an 8 passenger car with 2 barely usable seats, we need a 7 passenger car with 7 usable seats. SO...if you know of specific configurations of three across in the 3rd row I'd love to hear them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page