Any families with front/rear-facing child seats here? - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:14 PM

Garage
I am 6'1" the forward facing seat is fine if you don't mind the 5 yr old putting their feet on the front seat back if the front seat is not moved forward.
The rear facing seat is a little tight as I have to either have the seat back too straight or the seat too forward for my legs on a long trip.
We keep the passenger seat forward for dropping off the 5yr old at day care to keep the seat back clean. I know you can tell them but they forget.
Bought the Limited not Hybrid. Have a vacuum so no spare. I am ordering the spare and will keep in the fold well for the second row. Suggest if wife is driving a lot a spare could come in handy. Mine couldn't change a spare but could call for help. Long vacation, strange places I don't want to wait for a repair truck.
Did I mention we love the vehicle and all the convenience of the Limited. Sliding door great with foot access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
Generaltso, you mentioned having the Britax strapped into the 2nd row and using the tilt to enter feature.... when you say strapped are you referring to the seatbelt or latch options?
No, sorry, we're using LATCH. You are correct that the tilt feature would not work with the seat belt.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM

If you are using the anchors built into the seat I have found if you recline the seat back and tighten the anchor then return the seat back to the upright it gets seat strapped in really tight. Does not move at all
Gohawks1224 likes this.

2017 Pacifica Dark Cordovan

post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkalla View Post
Pacificanians,

My wife and I have been going back and forth for just shy of 2 months, having a pretty standard disagreement between the normal Pacifica and the Plug-in; I am hoping folks can help me out with family-experience in the van that might tilt us one way or another:
  • She wants the Plug-in.
  • I can't stand giving up Stow-n-Go, tilt-forward 3rd row access, Vacuum or the HIDs.

The problem with this argument is that it is primarily emotional and not practical (she feels green, I want the utility).

Well, the reality is that we have two kids 1 of which is a newborn and in a rear-facing child seat. For the non-parents out there, rear-facing child seats are SO LARGE, in anything shy of a F150 King Cab, you usually need to move up the seat in front of it. For example, in our Pilot, the driver (me @ 5'11") lost 3-4 inches of legroom and had to straighten up the seat back.

The gist is that even in the largest car, rear-facing child seats (and some big front-facing... which we also have) will make you feel cramped.

Given this context, I wanted to ask the families with young children out there the following:
  1. How are the car seats fitting for, especially rear-facing? Any pictures?
  2. Do you find that "tilt forward" access to the 3rd row as handy as it seems?
  3. Do you regularly use the Stow and Go bins for storage?
  4. Do you actually stow the 2nd row seats from time to time or is this just a man-utility-fantasy?

Thank you all for the time and sharing your experience with us... feel like we've been talking about this forever and neither of us will budge so we keep driving our 11 year old Pilot...

I have 4 kids, one 9 month RF, 3 year old FF, 5 year old FF and a 11 year old no seat. all seats are the Graco 4ever All in one (recommended seat btw)

I rented a Pacifica for 4 days with the RF behind the passenger, no seat in the second row, and two FF in the third row.

Access to the third row was great. I used the recline of the second row to make it easier to get the 9 month old in his seat, and then moved the seat into locking position so that was an unexpected plus (and clearly not designed for that intention but does work).

third row FF seats were a little hard to get in with the headrest in place. Moving the headrest down helped a lot as it fit in between the rails (metal frames) on our car seat. I did manage to get both car seats flat against the rear third row seat but it did take time, and you have to recline the third row, install, and then move the third row back up into place to get the carseat snug. One complaint, I really wish automanufatures would start putting three teethers in the third row as opposed to one passenger side, and one center.

RF seat is a convertible and was installed with LATCH. No issues.

TO address your question, I had the passenger front seat all the way back, and still was able to tilt the second row seat forward without hitting the passenger seat.

We left the oldest up front so we could use the stow n go functionality PLUS giving us better access to the third row on the rental. I will certainly play around with sticking the oldest two in the third row. We will be using the stow n go bins on long trips for sure. I already ordered the plastic tubs for them. I do have weekly cardboard and misc recycling trips so one of the seats must stow. I found it easier to do the second row but an argument could be made saying the rear hatch is easier. I will also have the 8 passenger seating. Will play around with combinations seeing how many car seats I can get in the second row while still maintaining the access to the third row!

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrok View Post
I am 6'1" the forward facing seat is fine if you don't mind the 5 yr old putting their feet on the front seat back if the front seat is not moved forward.
The rear facing seat is a little tight as I have to either have the seat back too straight or the seat too forward for my legs on a long trip.
We keep the passenger seat forward for dropping off the 5yr old at day care to keep the seat back clean. I know you can tell them but they forget.
Bought the Limited not Hybrid. Have a vacuum so no spare. I am ordering the spare and will keep in the fold well for the second row. Suggest if wife is driving a lot a spare could come in handy. Mine couldn't change a spare but could call for help. Long vacation, strange places I don't want to wait for a repair truck.
Did I mention we love the vehicle and all the convenience of the Limited. Sliding door great with foot access.
This is actually hugely helpful to set expectations - people without kids don't realize how big the rear-facing child seats can be. I'm sad to see that we still need to move/straighten seats up even in a minivan to make room, but I would likely do exactly what you've done and put it behind the passenger or... ****... maybe put down one of the 2nd row seats and throw the base in the 3rd row and just lean in and snap the baby in place for quick trips.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks1224 View Post
I have 4 kids, one 9 month RF, 3 year old FF, 5 year old FF and a 11 year old no seat. all seats are the Graco 4ever All in one (recommended seat btw)

I rented a Pacifica for 4 days with the RF behind the passenger, no seat in the second row, and two FF in the third row.

Access to the third row was great. I used the recline of the second row to make it easier to get the 9 month old in his seat, and then moved the seat into locking position so that was an unexpected plus (and clearly not designed for that intention but does work).

third row FF seats were a little hard to get in with the headrest in place. Moving the headrest down helped a lot as it fit in between the rails (metal frames) on our car seat. I did manage to get both car seats flat against the rear third row seat but it did take time, and you have to recline the third row, install, and then move the third row back up into place to get the carseat snug. One complaint, I really wish automanufatures would start putting three teethers in the third row as opposed to one passenger side, and one center.

RF seat is a convertible and was installed with LATCH. No issues.

TO address your question, I had the passenger front seat all the way back, and still was able to tilt the second row seat forward without hitting the passenger seat.

We left the oldest up front so we could use the stow n go functionality PLUS giving us better access to the third row on the rental. I will certainly play around with sticking the oldest two in the third row. We will be using the stow n go bins on long trips for sure. I already ordered the plastic tubs for them. I do have weekly cardboard and misc recycling trips so one of the seats must stow. I found it easier to do the second row but an argument could be made saying the rear hatch is easier. I will also have the 8 passenger seating. Will play around with combinations seeing how many car seats I can get in the second row while still maintaining the access to the third row!
Awesome writeup! It's the different seating configurations that made it impossible for me to walk away from the stow and go capability and your post is a perfect example of how you might mix and match to make that happen.
Gohawks1224 likes this.
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 04:45 PM

I have a 10 month old rear facing in a Graco 2nd row passenger , and a 6year old in a booster aside.
Plenty of space up front for the passenger side even at my 6'2 frame...
As for the 3rd Row entry, I have used it about 10 times and it is pretty convenient...
Have not used the Stow and Go as of yet...about 13000 miles, and have had it for about 7 months.
Good Luck!
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:12 PM

Typically we have a 1yr old RF drivers side second row and a 4yr old FF passenger side second row. The drivers seat moves all the way back and tilts a considerable amount before contacting the RF Britax seat. With the back at a comfortable recline there's still a few inches. For the passenger side it's simple to get around the seat to the 3rd row (8th seat removed), and if we use the stow-and-go button for the front passenger seat there is a ton of space to get around. Even with the drivers side, I can stow-and-go assist tilt the front seat, tilt the RF Britax, and kids/smaller adults can still get to the 3rd row. On a recent road trip we had RF 2nd row drivers and passengers side with 8th seat installed, and 2 FF in the 3rd row. We put an adult between the 2 RF seats to take care of the kids (3 adults, 2 FF, 2 RF total). To get to the 3rd row we put both front seats into stow-n-go mode (tilted forward) for access to the rear. 3rd row center between 2 RF seats was pretty cramped, and would probably be impossible with 2 FF in the outboard seats.

My wife wanted the sunroof, but honestly, it's a van and you're buying it for utility/space/# of seats. I've used the 8th seat twice now and would have been up a creek without it. We also use the stow and go for storage of all types. On the recent road trip we put 3 sleeping bags in them. We keep a first aid kit, snow brush, and other random items in them too.

I've also stored a 2nd row seat and put 1 kid in the 2nd and 1 kid in the 3rd. It makes for a great loading platform, especially when raining. Open the door, put the kids in, climb in, close the door, then fuss with all the buckles.

Let me know if you have any questions about other configurations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170216_172457.jpg (197.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20170216_172436.jpg (203.8 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 20170216_172401.jpg (204.4 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 20170216_172331.jpg (188.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 20170216_172321.jpg (227.9 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 20170216_172259.jpg (214.2 KB, 156 views)
Tia3 and flower218 like this.
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston01 View Post
Typically we have a 1yr old RF drivers side second row and a 4yr old FF passenger side second row. The drivers seat moves all the way back and tilts a considerable amount before contacting the RF Britax seat. With the back at a comfortable recline there's still a few inches. For the passenger side it's simple to get around the seat to the 3rd row (8th seat removed), and if we use the stow-and-go button for the front passenger seat there is a ton of space to get around. Even with the drivers side, I can stow-and-go assist tilt the front seat, tilt the RF Britax, and kids/smaller adults can still get to the 3rd row. On a recent road trip we had RF 2nd row drivers and passengers side with 8th seat installed, and 2 FF in the 3rd row. We put an adult between the 2 RF seats to take care of the kids (3 adults, 2 FF, 2 RF total). To get to the 3rd row we put both front seats into stow-n-go mode (tilted forward) for access to the rear. 3rd row center between 2 RF seats was pretty cramped, and would probably be impossible with 2 FF in the outboard seats.

My wife wanted the sunroof, but honestly, it's a van and you're buying it for utility/space/# of seats. I've used the 8th seat twice now and would have been up a creek without it. We also use the stow and go for storage of all types. On the recent road trip we put 3 sleeping bags in them. We keep a first aid kit, snow brush, and other random items in them too.

I've also stored a 2nd row seat and put 1 kid in the 2nd and 1 kid in the 3rd. It makes for a great loading platform, especially when raining. Open the door, put the kids in, climb in, close the door, then fuss with all the buckles.

Let me know if you have any questions about other configurations.

Awesome pics. My kids are going to have a hard time seeing the screens from the third row with the car seats in the second row. Really wish Chrysler could have made the screen extend upward on rails or something. A center screen is still optimal!

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:32 PM

I'm really hoping somebody figures out how to add another monitor so I can put one in the center ceiling.
Gohawks1224 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page