2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

EZ oil change

11K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  PacificaMinivanFan 
#1 ·
I changed the van's oil at 3500 and it went surprisingly smooth. I didn't even need to jack the van up! (nor did I use an extractor). Anyone else enjoy this method?

The oil pan fits underneath the van with just enough clearance where I can open the panel to drain the oil. Somewhat tight fit, but nice not to have to jack up the vehicle.

I can do the same with my WRX, but wasn't expecting with the van - nice surprise!

Reactions: craig
#2 ·
I changed the van's oil at 3500 and it went surprisingly smooth. I didn't even need to jack the van up! (nor did I use an extractor). Anyone else enjoy this method?
This is encouraging as I enjoy changing the oil in our vehicles, as well. I changed the on-top oil filter at 3,000 miles, but not the oil itself (although I already bought a 5-qt container of Quaker State Full Synthetic Ultimate Durability MS6395 compatible oil at Walmart when I saw it was finally in stock). Probably wait until the van has closer to the recommend 10,000 miles. I have an oil extractor from TopSider, but not sure it gets out as much oil as pulling the plug and letting it drain from the bottom (that's another topic).

I'm sure someone is going to ask how many quarts you put in (yet another topic), so may as well ask now and get it out of the way. Was it 5 or 6 quarts?!

#3 ·
Yeah, having the filter on top is so nice.

#4 ·
I have been using Rhino ramps for oil changes for years - easier and safer than jacking - nice to know there is plenty of room.

#8 ·
I also used an extractor for my Pacifica. It worked perfectly and I extracted exactly 5 quarts. I pumped quite awhile to be sure I got all the oil out. I'LL never go back to changing my oil any other way.

#9 ·
Yup just did another oil change using the evacuation method. If you’re worried about gettting every single drop out and don’t mind paying extra, buy an extra bottle and pour it in after the suction finishes. Then pump that out. I tried this (I didn’t use the whole quart though) and it came out clean and clear. Then poured the 5quart Mobil 1 bottle in and checked the dipstick. Perfectly full!

#12 ·
Yeah, it's amazing that after about 8100 miles, the oil level was still exactly full and I extracted exactly 5 quarts. When I added 5 quarts, it was right to the full line. I've changed my own oil for many years but never seen that happen before.

#13 ·
Funny how that worked out, its almost like they designed it for using the evacuator!

#16 ·
Fumoto's have a quick release type lever that allows you to drain the oil without pulling the plug. They are nice too but require you to be under the van for it. Not that it's bad; they're really cool and quick.

I'm glad to hear the plug's reachable without jacking. I have no Fumoto on the Pac and don't yet have an extractor. Good to know!

#17 ·
Crawling around under your van to change the oil? How 20th Century!

#18 · (Edited)
I like and use Fomoto valves on my vehicles that are no longer under warranty AND won’t accept the Oil Extractor tube.

I wish all my vehicles had topside oil filters that could be replaced while the Oil Extractor is doing its thing.

#21 ·
6.25 Gallon Harbor Freight
6.25 gallons holds several oil changes. I have two now, one is for oil changes and another for "clean fluids" around car and house. I even used the clean oil extractor with a small suction cup mounted to the end of one of its long extractor tubes to retrieve a DVD case that fell into the "bad place" in my Super Console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.