New and Happy owner - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

New and Happy owner

Hi All,
I was enjoying the practicality of my '11 grand Caravan and wasn't looking to get anything new. Then early one February morning, while taking the mutt for his mandatory leg stretch, i was startled by a dark wraith silently approaching through the gloom. I then set about learning what this apparition was.

So, turns out its hybrid van capable of going 55km on a charge!
I live 53km from work, and we have charge points in work!!!!

It has a great entertainment package!
I have a 10 year old son!!!

Combined fuel economy is posted as nearly double that of my GC!
I don't like paying for gas!!!!

It has a huge sunroof!!
My wife loves looking at the sky!!

So far it was looking good. and after doing lots of internet research (not much work got done that week), I found a dealership 10km away and went to have a look.
3 hours later, after a nice test drive, i put down my deposit.

I collected my PacHy on April 25th 2018, and i find it an amazing vehicle.
Now, you have to remember that my last 4 vehicles have been a 1986 Range rover, 2011 Wrangler (its the wife's and we still have it), a 2014 Jeep Cherokee and the 2011 Grand Caravan. So anything slick that makes beeping noises and allows the steering wheel to spin without my help feels like something J.K. Rowling thought up!

Other than the technological wonder that this thing is to me, it has also exceeded my expectations in the economy it is giving me. Given the insane price of gas here in Ontario ($1.37CAD/L) the 54km trip each way was costing me about $17 a day, than add on driving around in the evening doing the usual little trips to the gym, shops and kids activities, meant i was filling up the GC every 5 days.

I have now done 1289km since adoption, only 73 of those have been in hybrid mode.
The vehicle display is telling me i am averaging 3.5l/100km, but my spread sheet (based on the calc in other posts here) is showing an average of 2.53 L/100km

My best single run so far on electric only has been 61km.
I have yet to do a long run, but have a couple of trips coming up and i'll report in as and when that happens.
I have attached a couple of pics, including a screenshot of my spreadsheet (it was a quiet day in the office)

Take care all.
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: png Milage Spread sheet 09MAY2018.png (64.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png on charge in work.png (557.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: png 2018-05-09 10_34_56-IMG_2131.JPG ‎- Photos.png (909.0 KB, 40 views)
Bond007, hillgiant, mark and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

Hi all, a little update.

I am now 37 days into ownership, have 3183KM on the clock, and still on my first tank of gas (1/4 left)
So far no issues.
Did have a bit of a panic 2 weeks ago when camping. Was lying in the tent at about 4 am listening to the rain hammer down for half an hour, then realized that i hadn't closed the sunroof!!!!
needles to say the seats were soaked and the super-console cubbies were half full of water. I then sat in the soggy drivers seat debating on the outcome of turning on the heated seats, visions of "old Smokie" flashed through my mind and i wondered if my life would be defined by a entry in the Darwin Awards!!

So after not being electrocuted, i cranked the heater to full power and went back to sleep.

The kids decided after breakfast that it was cold and damp (weather not breakfast) and wanted to watch a movie, so 4 of them (not all mine) climbed in to the Pachy, which now was in full steam-room mode and left us adults to try lighting a fire with soggy wood and trying to get rid of all the beer before the ice melted.

Once the weather improved, i put the vented seats on and opened all the doors to air the girl out. It then took a further 6 days to finally get rid of the smell of campfire smoke :-)

But even though the dash and Uconnect were soaked, i have had no issues with any of the electrics, so that was a good test.

I have been running a spreadsheet tracking distance/charging costs etc. and so far i am running an average of 1.69L/100km and that is keeping me very happy.

I have uploaded a snapshot of my calculations
Stay safe out there

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: png 2018-06-01 09_38_46-Pay Slip Master - Excel.png (22.5 KB, 13 views)
CentralFla and Bond007 like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 11:58 AM

Wow, the benefits of a panoramic sunroof cannot be overemphasized. Good to hear that you are enjoying your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Hi All,
Been a while since my last update.
It has been a year since the patchy come into my life, and we have now done 34000km together. just about 8000 of those have been on the ICE. Given that the temp got down to - 25c this winter, i think that is pretty great.

Patchy has been used for all sorts of different trips in the past year, from posh taxi for friends, to taking s*&t to the dump. I have slept in the back on numerous occasions, using the 110v to inflate a queen airbed and either the air-con or heater running depending on time of year. I did think about modifying the wiring to allow the ignition to cycle on and off every hour, (this was well written up in another post by someone far cleverer than i am), but when i analyzed my skill set i quickly realized that a long stick was my better option.

As for the recall that came out mid 2018, i waited until all of the horror stories of catalytic converters spontaneously combusting dried up before getting it done last week.

I had the oil changed at 1 year.

Tires are lasting well (it helps that half the year i have winter tires on :-) )

other than the rear camera sometimes not working (very random, sometimes it goes weeks with no issues, then just quits for a day or so) my only real issue is with SIRIUS, both my wife and son insist on listening to 90's on 9 whenever they are in MY van. there is only SO much Celine Dion and Boys 2 Men i can handle!!!!!

In short, I love this thing, it classy, practical, comfortable and cheap to run. Now if only the Minister of Home Affairs would allow me to put the A Team stripe on.

Stay safe out there.
Paul
Bond007, mark and RC Mike like this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Wow, the benefits of a panoramic sunroof cannot be overemphasized. Good to hear that you are enjoying your car.
There have been such displays of cleaverness on this forum, I am awaiting soemone to design a rain sensing, sunroof closing circuit. It is not outside the abilities of what I have seen here so far.

What say clever ones?

Once, while camping I left my GC driver's side door open in a rainstorm. Ya feel dumb when you see the door pockets full of water!
Bond007 likes this.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltoppper View Post
There have been such displays of cleaverness on this forum, I am awaiting soemone to design a rain sensing, sunroof closing circuit. It is not outside the abilities of what I have seen here so far.

What say clever ones?

Once, while camping I left my GC driver's side door open in a rainstorm. Ya feel dumb when you see the door pockets full of water!
It would seem certainly possible without much effort. All that would be needed is a specific set of parameters added to the software connected with the rain-sensing wipers, i.e., if the ignition switch was in the 'OFF' position and any of the windows or sunroof were not completely closed, they would automatically close when rain was sensed on the windshield. It's actually a pretty good idea.

The only downside would be that the circuit would be constantly drawing energy from the already dismal 12v battery.
Bond007 and Haggy45 like this.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
It would seem certainly possible without much effort. All that would be needed is a specific set of parameters added to the software connected with the rain-sensing wipers, i.e., if the ignition switch was in the 'OFF' position and any of the windows or sunroof were not completely closed, they would automatically close when rain was sensed on the windshield. It's actually a pretty good idea.

The only downside would be that the circuit would be constantly drawing energy from the already dismal 12v battery.

But Id assume that when the ignition is off, all those systems would be powered off as well.

Haggy45 likes this.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggy45 View Post
Hi All,

Been a while since my last update.

It has been a year since the patchy come into my life, and we have now done 34000km together. just about 8000 of those have been on the ICE. Given that the temp got down to - 25c this winter, i think that is pretty great.

Patchy has been used for all sorts of different trips in the past year, from posh taxi for friends, to taking s*&t to the dump. I have slept in the back on numerous occasions, using the 110v to inflate a queen airbed and either the air-con or heater running depending on time of year. I did think about modifying the wiring to allow the ignition to cycle on and off every hour, (this was well written up in another post by someone far cleverer than i am), but when i analyzed my skill set i quickly realized that a long stick was my better option.

As for the recall that came out mid 2018, i waited until all of the horror stories of catalytic converters spontaneously combusting dried up before getting it done last week.

I had the oil changed at 1 year.

Tires are lasting well (it helps that half the year i have winter tires on :-) )

other than the rear camera sometimes not working (very random, sometimes it goes weeks with no issues, then just quits for a day or so) my only real issue is with SIRIUS, both my wife and son insist on listening to 90's on 9 whenever they are in MY van. there is only SO much Celine Dion and Boys 2 Men i can handle!!!!!

In short, I love this thing, it classy, practical, comfortable and cheap to run. Now if only the Minister of Home Affairs would allow me to put the A Team stripe on.

Stay safe out there.

Paul

Thanks for your very enjoyable write ups. Keep it coming.

Haggy45 likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:47 AM

Wow 90s on 9. You poor man. Much sympathy.
Haggy45 and RC Mike like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
But Id assume that when the ignition is off, all those systems would be powered off as well.

Couldn't the rain sensor trigger them to come back for, say, that brief period of 'saved power' that arises whenever the vehicle is turned off? It would close all the windows, then power back down (except for the rain sensor).

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page