Better than 33 miles on a charge - Page 4 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 PM

Garage
One option would be a big help in the energy savings- a ventilation only mode for the climate control. This is an obvious oversight on the Chrysler's part.

I couldn't make it home on the electrons today. Can't tell why- the traffic didn't seem much different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190322_163605.jpg (83.3 KB, 24 views)
Frig likes this.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
I probably shouldn't have called it "hypermiling" because I didn't do any crazy hypemiling tricks like inflating tires to 50PSI or removing upholstery to save weight. It was nothing more than conservative driving and not using the climate control. The driving style matters a lot, it needs to be steady and slow, and only as much of it can be done realistically. I don't want to keep a line of cursing drivers behind me. Today I made it work (the downhill direction) with 65% of juice remaining, should be able to make it home in the EV mode.

In the winter the ICE runs because of the low temperatures. In a good weather I need to put an effort to avoid running out of power.
Next time you’re experimenting, try getting off to a quick start from a full stop just to see what it does (in other words, just the opposite of steady and slow). I was quite surprised that it did not detrimentally affect my efficiency.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #33 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
One option would be a big help in the energy savings- a ventilation only mode for the climate control. This is an obvious oversight on the Chrysler's part.

I couldn't make it home on the electrons today. Can't tell why- the traffic didn't seem much different.
Wind speed/direction? I noticed on one trip when I had a fairly strong wind at my back that made a significant improvement in the MPG for that trip. I’m wanting to say it was in the neighborhood of 10%. By the time I made the return leg although the wind was coming from generally the same direction it had died down quite a bit and I did not suffer a 10% penalty on the way home.

post #34 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM

Garage
I'll try to do it next week- if I'll remember.

post #35 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:14 PM

@stop-eject Nice to see how long you can go, congrats. Anxious to get warmer temperatures here to see.
post #36 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 PM

Garage
So I tried a more spirited driving today. I wasn't very fast because of the traffic and the effort not to trigger the ICE. The results are puzzling. My electric mileage didn't change at all, but the indicated MPGe were lower by a wide margin.

My full electric run was 38.1 miles, indicated MPGe 96.6
Next I had 37.7 electric+ 0.3 gas miles, MPGe 88.2 When the ICE starts, it poisons MPGe immediately, the number goes down. It is safe to say that my electric MPGe was in the mid 90s.
Today I made 37.8 electric + 0.3 gas miles. I snapped a pic right before it switched to the gas, MPGe was 74.4. After 0.3 gas miles it went down to 70.

Let's calculate the real MPGe. The van took 12.87kWh to fully charge. It's "fuel" economy was 37.8/12.78= 2.96m/kWh or 2.96*33.7=99.6MPGe

The EPA ratings for the van are 84MPGe and 33 miles range. 84/33.7= 2.5m/kwh. 33/2.5=13.2kWh.

The takeaways are:
1. The van charged with less electricity that it should have, but manage to drive more miles on it.

2. The recuperation is so effective, the driving style doesn't matter (although more testing is needed to eliminate traffic and wind variations)
3. The MPGe display is lying, and the error is affected by the driving style. I can theorize that it errs in the recuperation calculations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190325_172606.jpg (76.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190325_172437.jpg (83.2 KB, 11 views)
Frig likes this.

post #37 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
So I tried a more spirited driving today. I wasn't very fast because of the traffic and the effort not to trigger the ICE. The results are puzzling. My electric mileage didn't change at all, but the indicated MPGe were lower by a wide margin.

My full electric run was 38.1 miles, indicated MPGe 96.6
Next I had 37.7 electric+ 0.3 gas miles, MPGe 88.2 When the ICE starts, it poisons MPGe immediately, the number goes down. It is safe to say that my electric MPGe was in the mid 90s.
Today I made 37.8 electric + 0.3 gas miles. I snapped a pic right before it switched to the gas, MPGe was 74.4. After 0.3 gas miles it went down to 70.

Let's calculate the real MPGe. The van took 12.87kWh to fully charge. It's "fuel" economy was 37.8/12.78= 2.96m/kWh or 2.96*33.7=99.6MPGe

The EPA ratings for the van are 84MPGe and 33 miles range. 84/33.7= 2.5m/kwh. 33/2.5=13.2kWh.

The takeaways are:
1. The van charged with less electricity that it should have, but manage to drive more miles on it.

2. The recuperation is so effective, the driving style doesn't matter (although more testing is needed to eliminate traffic and wind variations)
3. The MPGe display is lying, and the error is affected by the driving style. I can theorize that it errs in the recuperation calculations.
Just trying to understand your terminology. When you say ‘recuperation’ are you basically talking about the regenerative braking/coasting?

And it seems you’re also saying that when you used a more spirited method of driving the MPGe calculation actually showed a lower value but in reality it had to be pretty close to the same as your normal driving method because of the fact that you got about the same number of miles from a full charge. Is that pretty much the gist of it?

If so, this is interesting because I seem to be getting the opposite. More spirited driving seems to make my MPGe increase slightly. Although I am using a form of ‘pulse and glide’ I’m only varying between about 28 mph and 35 mph most of the time. Sometimes I experiment with going back to more normal steady-state driving and I usually see the MPGe drop a bit. It is possible, however, that the difference between the two types of driving is not as great as I had previously believed. I’m not sure yet. Still experimenting.

post #38 of 60 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDave View Post
Just trying to understand your terminology. When you say ‘recuperation’ are you basically talking about the regenerative braking/coasting?

And it seems you’re also saying that when you used a more spirited method of driving the MPGe calculation actually showed a lower value but in reality it had to be pretty close to the same as your normal driving method because of the fact that you got about the same number of miles from a full charge. Is that pretty much the gist of it?
Yes and yes. I'm not a native English speaker and it probably shows from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDave View Post
If so, this is interesting because I seem to be getting the opposite. More spirited driving seems to make my MPGe increase slightly. Although I am using a form of ‘pulse and glide’ I’m only varying between about 28 mph and 35 mph most of the time. Sometimes I experiment with going back to more normal steady-state driving and I usually see the MPGe drop a bit. It is possible, however, that the difference between the two types of driving is not as great as I had previously believed. I’m not sure yet. Still experimenting.
If the dashboard MPGe calculation algorithm is wrong, the error may be different depending on the circumstances. My speeds are from 10mph in traffic to 60+ on the highway portion of the commute over hilly terrain. Your conditions maybe entirely different. MPGe is mainly based on the power measurement, and it is a bit more complex than a household meter because of the variations in voltage and frequency. It should also take into the account the charging losses. Still not a rocket science.

post #39 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 PM

From my driving, 4 kids and wife in the van, I can get 40-42 miles before ICE kicks in, I do turn off AC, but leave the fan working (we're in the 60's for now so its doable). I haven't tried putting it into neutral, but half tempted. For me I tend to be very smooth with the accelerator, and utilize the regen as much as possible.

Buuuuuut, I think when we're talking about regen or even acceleration, we need to consider more than just motor efficiency. The higher the current the higher the heat losses, you can't escape it, unless engineers designed everything for max current, which would be make the entire system much more expensive and heavy.

Everything from conductors to controllers and of course the battery will see performance dip when under higher load. I think there's definitely a balance point where that current draw becomes inefficient.
post #40 of 60 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM

Garage
What are your driving conditions- hills, speed, traffic lights? Do measure the distance over a round trip to control for altitude changes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page