• 2 Post By fuelscience
  • 2 Post By craig
  • 1 Post By fuelscience
  • 1 Post By stop-eject

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2400 mile road trip results

I just got back from a road trip--Nashville to Lubbock and back via Oklahoma City. I thought I'd post my mpg. I started with a full charge, and I was only able to charge once. One motel we stayed at had a handy 110V outlet, and they agreed to let me charge overnight.

Total miles: 2393.4
Total gasoline consumed: 81.5 gallons
Overall mpg: 29.4

The trip odometer reported 28.6 mpg. Also, the trip odometer reported 248.7 electric miles. It's obviously reporting electric miles traveled in charge-sustaining mode since the total mileage in charge-depleting mode would be around 70.

None of this is new news, but I thought I'd post in case anyone might be interested in how the vehicle performs in charge-sustaining mode.
stop-eject and craig like this.

2018 Pacific Hybrid Limited, Velvet Red Pearl Coat. 2014 Volt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Thanks for visiting our city. Did you have time to check out any of the Buddy Holly things since you came from such a musically inclined city? Back to the original subject, did you drive 75 and 80 on the trip? 29.4 is very good for such a large comfortable vehicle!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelscience View Post
I just got back from a road trip--Nashville to Lubbock and back via Oklahoma City. I thought I'd post my mpg. I started with a full charge, and I was only able to charge once. One motel we stayed at had a handy 110V outlet, and they agreed to let me charge overnight.

The trip odometer reported 28.6 mpg. Also, the trip odometer reported 248.7 electric miles. It's obviously reporting electric miles traveled in charge-sustaining mode since the total mileage in charge-depleting mode would be around 70.

None of this is new news, but I thought I'd post in case anyone might be interested in how the vehicle performs in charge-sustaining mode.
My calculation says 29.367 MPG. LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Our Pacifica Hybrids do not have a charge-sustaining mode or else it would have an EV/HV button. That's one of the things I miss most from owning another PHEV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltdriver&PacHylurker View Post
Thanks for visiting our city. Did you have time to check out any of the Buddy Holly things since you came from such a musically inclined city? Back to the original subject, did you drive 75 and 80 on the trip? 29.4 is very good for such a large comfortable vehicle!
I enjoyed Lubbock, but between a conference and relatives in the area I didn't make it to the Buddy Holly sites. I did enjoy the 75 mph speed limits on two-lane roads!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappy007 View Post
Our Pacifica Hybrids do not have a charge-sustaining mode or else it would have an EV/HV button. That's one of the things I miss most from owning another PHEV.
I would beg to differ. PHEVs are always operating in either a charge-depleting mode or a charge-sustaining mode. Whenever you're operating a hybrid and not depleting the battery, it's in charge-sustaining mode. So a Prius always operates in charge-sustaining mode. On vehicles like the Chevy Volt (which I used to own), one can force the car into charge-sustaining mode before the battery is fully depleted. With the Pacifica, you operate in charge-depleting mode until the battery is discharged to the level Chrysler has deemed appropriate, and then the vehicle switches to charge-sustaining mode. It would be nice if one could choose to switch to charge-sustaining mode before the battery has depleted, but Chrysler chose not to let us make that decision.
stop-eject likes this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
I have a similar experience. The hybrid mode MPG meter is close to the manual calculations, and the advertised 33MPG is achievable only when driving slower than the usual Interstate speeds.
fuelscience likes this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:

I got very similar results, as I recall, from our December trip down to Florida. I think I got over 30 for one leg, but then under 28 for another. I also remember the car's overall mpg showed a little bit lower mpg than my calculated... so similar to what you are seeing.

Thanks for sharing.

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Tri–Pane Panoramic Sunroof
18–Inch x 7.5–Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
Build date 10/25/2018
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
I would beg to differ. PHEVs are always operating in either a charge-depleting mode or a charge-sustaining mode. Whenever you're operating a hybrid and not depleting the battery, it's in charge-sustaining mode. So a Prius always operates in charge-sustaining mode. On vehicles like the Chevy Volt (which I used to own), one can force the car into charge-sustaining mode before the battery is fully depleted. With the Pacifica, you operate in charge-depleting mode until the battery is discharged to the level Chrysler has deemed appropriate, and then the vehicle switches to charge-sustaining mode. It would be nice if one could choose to switch to charge-sustaining mode before the battery has depleted, but Chrysler chose not to let us make that decision.
Driving my Volt from Lubbock to Fort Worth using hold mode I get 42 to 44 mpg at 75 mph in a car that's rated at 38 mpg. Without hold mode at 75 mph I get 30 to 35. From my house to the highway I run in normal mode accelerating up to 59 mph on electric. All my stops and starts are in normal mode. I run the last 40 miles in normal.

I really want to see the PacHy add hold mode. I think I could get 33 mpg consistently and it would encourage me to buy one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page