PacHy Charging Strategy - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
View Poll Results: How do you charge your PacHy's battery?
Plug in and charge immediately (240V), leaving the battery fully charged for use. 22 26.51%
Set charging during the overnight hours to maximize green benefit and save money (240V). 19 22.89%
Set charging for the 2 hours immediately prior to PacHy use (240V). 2 2.41%
Use Level 1 charger (120V) and need to charge 14 hours overnight. 40 48.19%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkeys1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
What EV are you speaking of and what battery technology does it use? Older EV models used NiMh which does not follow that rule.

If your charge graph is for Li-Ion, I will investigate why i'm wrong because its the material that takes the charge like I described - has nothing to do with what its for. That being said the future holds Li-Ion materials that can be flash charged to full in 2min and does not follow these rules either.

But older than present should..
It only uses 75 to 80 % of the battery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Haha! Yeah that adds up now give or take a few percent

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
What EV are you speaking of and what battery technology does it use? Older EV models used NiMh which does not follow that rule.

If your charge graph is for Li-Ion, I will investigate why i'm wrong because its the material that takes the charge like I described - has nothing to do with what its for. That being said the future holds Li-Ion materials that can be flash charged to full in 2min and does not follow these rules either.

It's a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicosan View Post
Quote:

It's a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid.
Sorry, there are many people here that have other EV's and not just the pacifica which is why I had to ask and clarify.

I failed to elaborate in this thread that EV batteries are protected above 80% and below 20% of the actual battery capacity to ensure the 10year warranty life. So 0% is actually around 20% at the battery and 100% is around 80% at the battery. Your charge graph dip at 90% charge acceptance is actually occuring at around 65-70% at the battery.

You can prove it to yourself because you'll never get the 16 kwh advertised amount into your 16kwh Pacfica battery. And if you do on a public pay charger, they're robbing you [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pacificaforums.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Like most batteries, being below 20% charge rapidly damages the cells. But unlike other batteries, being over 80% causes several problems for the Li-Ion material such as rapid aging, Slow charge rate and regen close to 100% would damage the battery since the battery can not absorb the energy being created.. it has to go somewhere.

The extended charge time to full are largely avoided stopping it at 80%.

Edit: (that 80% is displayed as 100% in the car.)
stop-eject likes this.

-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 11-04-2017 at 01:24 PM.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM

Im counting on the vehicle’s battery management system to prolong its life. My time is worth more than the marginal effect of micromanaging charge, and similarly its worth more to me to always have as close to full state of charge as possible instead of eking out a few cents of savings via time of use electricity pricing plans.
seo68 and Batmobile_WS6 like this.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
Im counting on the vehicle?s battery management system to prolong its life. My time is worth more than the marginal effect of micromanaging charge, and similarly its worth more to me to always have as close to full state of charge as possible instead of eking out a few cents of savings via time of use electricity pricing plans.
Good on yah. Me too

-British Columbia Canada

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 PM

Garage
The battery is only good for 30 miles. There is not much headroom for the partial charging. I tried to do the partial charging on my other car, using a script to shut down EVSE when the charging current starts tapering off. It never worked reliably, and I lease that car anyway...
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:04 AM

Garage
Why do a partial charge?

The average charge over its lifetime will not be 100% or 0% and that is all it needs. Would be closer to 50%, no?

Unless your storing the vehicle for exceedingly long term you shouldnt have to do anything but use it [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pacificaforums.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

A sitting car is an aging car. Just like a laptop battery sitting fully charged and ready to go.

Edit: Occurred to me, trying to half charge the van defeats the purpose on many levels and would likely bias the average charge too low and cause increase aging IMO.

-British Columbia Canada

Last edited by m0ebius604; 11-13-2017 at 12:27 AM.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Why do a partial charge?

The average charge over its lifetime will not be 100% or 0% and that is all it needs. Would be closer to 50%, no?

Unless your storing the vehicle for exceedingly long term you shouldnt have to do anything but use it [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.pacificaforums.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

A sitting car is an aging car. Just like a laptop battery sitting fully charged and ready to go.

Edit: Occurred to me, trying to half charge the van defeats the purpose on many levels and would likely bias the average charge too low and cause increase aging IMO.
So would you say the best practice is to plug-in the PacHy at the end of the day, charge it, and leave it plugged-in until the next morning when ready to use? Would that allow the battery to automatically precondition off house power if connected to an L2 EVSE?
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumHybrid View Post
Quote:
Why do a partial charge?

So would you say the best practice is to plug-in the PacHy at the end of the day, charge it, and leave it plugged-in until the next morning when ready to use? Would that allow the battery to automatically precondition off house power if connected to an L2 EVSE?
Thats right, plug it in and leave it until your ready to leave.

Use a charge schedule if that saves you money.

Its needs to be determined if this vehicle will prepare off the charger. Every EV I've used will use the wall power as long as its plugged in (which only make sense) and would allow remote start w/o ICE to not use that battery. Maybe someone with a juicebox can comment.
duneii likes this.

-British Columbia Canada

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Garage
Its worth noting that when you plug your charger into the car it is not directly connected to the battery. There is an on board charge module (OBCM) that takes the AC voltage from the charger in and converts it to 400v DC as well as manages the HV charge process dynamically through two way communication with the battery module. The OBCM also controls the ideal charge rate.. with preference on completing as soon as possible. Some cars allow you to change this.

So once its complete it can disconnect the charger from the vehicle so there is no need to unplug it yourself. It can also run the vehicle from the wall power depending on the software which would be the added bonus because even a 12v 70ah 650cca battery only supplies 882w per hour, and a level 1 is good for 1800w per hour
Batmobile_WS6 likes this.

-British Columbia Canada

Last edited by m0ebius604; 11-13-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page