PacHy Charging Strategy - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
View Poll Results: How do you charge your PacHy's battery?
Plug in and charge immediately (240V), leaving the battery fully charged for use. 22 28.57%
Set charging during the overnight hours to maximize green benefit and save money (240V). 17 22.08%
Set charging for the 2 hours immediately prior to PacHy use (240V). 2 2.60%
Use Level 1 charger (120V) and need to charge 14 hours overnight. 36 46.75%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Question PacHy Charging Strategy

Just curious to know what everyone is doing for their charging strategy. I've researched best battery practices, and it appears that leaving the battery in a state between 20-80% is the most beneficial for battery health, so unless I know the car is going to be used later in the day, I prefer to plug in during the evening and set the charging time to the two hours before the car is needed the next morning.

For example, if I need the car for 9am tomorrow, I would set vehicle charging to begin at 6:45am, assuming that a full charge takes 2 hours (240V), and would end no later than 8:45am. That ensures that the battery is fully charged for a very short time, and keeps the battery near 20% during the overnight hours (as there is a battery reserve even when it reads 0% charge). It also has the added benefit of warming the battery in the AM before early morning use (particularly in colder weather).

Anyone doing the same thing? Or have a different strategy for their PacHy? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:15 PM

The car doesn't use the whole range of the battery, but I plan on doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:23 PM

I'm pretty close to the middle two answers, actually. I set the charger for overnight but try and delay so that it finishes charging in the early AM, close to the time that I need the PacHy while still in those 'super saver' hours. That said, if I get home in the day and there's a chance that I'll need to run errands or go out later I'll top off the battery (Answer #1). Better than running out of electricity and ending up in hybrid mode.
PlatinumHybrid and stop-eject like this.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumHybrid View Post
Just curious to know what everyone is doing for their charging strategy. I've researched best battery practices, and it appears that leaving the battery in a state between 20-80% is the most beneficial for battery health, so unless I know the car is going to be used later in the day, I prefer to plug in during the evening and set the charging time to the two hours before the car is needed the next morning.

For example, if I need the car for 9am tomorrow, I would set vehicle charging to begin at 6:45am, assuming that a full charge takes 2 hours (240V), and would end no later than 8:45am. That ensures that the battery is fully charged for a very short time, and keeps the battery near 20% during the overnight hours (as there is a battery reserve even when it reads 0% charge). It also has the added benefit of warming the battery in the AM before early morning use (particularly in colder weather).

EV's manufacturers protect the sub 20 and plus 80 range so we are unable to abuse the HV batteries therefore 0% = 20% and 80% = 100% to the consumer to ensure the 10year warranty.

If your at 100% battery charge you would damage a battery during regen, as there is no room for the current to be absorbed.

Longest life occurs when the HV battery is stored at approx 30-50% charge and is how they are shipped on PDI.

Have you had problems with your Laptop batterys dying in a year or too when they're plugged in all the time? 100% charge causes this. Try ejecting the battery at 40% until you know you need it and then charge it to full.

My laptop battery is now 8years old and the battery works like new. Of course using a battery between 80-20% range and sweeping full to empty then recharging every day averages 50% so just using the vehicle normally will achieve the best life.

Just my 2 cents.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 11-02-2017 at 12:46 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 06:15 PM

I'm using a level 1 charger, and noticed that the PacHy drastically reduces the charging rate once the battery is near 100%. Starting a charge from 0%, the battery will reach 90% charge in about 10 hours, then the remaining charge, especially going from 99% to 100%, takes several more hours.

I don't have a kill-a-watt device to verify, but it seems as if the charger is limiting current as the charge approaches 100%, to help preserve battery longevity.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckjy View Post
I'm using a level 1 charger, and noticed that the PacHy drastically reduces the charging rate once the battery is near 100%. Starting a charge from 0%, the battery will reach 90% charge in about 10 hours, then the remaining charge, especially going from 99% to 100%, takes several more hours.

I don't have a kill-a-watt device to verify, but it seems as if the charger is limiting current as the charge approaches 100%, to help preserve battery longevity.
Oh, all EV Lithium batteries accept full charge rate upto 60% and then pull back to a trickle by 80%. Generally more than half the charge time is the last 20% and this is the healthiest method to charge the lithium cells.
Batmobile_WS6 and PacDave like this.

-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM

Garage
Heres a interesting resource for a look inside recharging various battery types including Li-Ion cells. Recomend skip to Li-Ion charging information because the other tech is old news and doesnt apply for us.

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snva557/snva557.pdf

Keep in mind this is focused on single cells, and describes the charging process in great details but these fundamentals are essentially scaled up for our 96 cell Li-Ion HV Batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0667_1509669906897.PNG (187.5 KB, 29 views)

-British Columbia Canada

Last edited by m0ebius604; 11-02-2017 at 08:55 PM.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
Oh, all EV Lithium batteries accept full charge rate upto 60% and then pull back to a trickle by 80%. Generally more than half the charge time is the last 20% and this is the healthiest method to charge the lithium cells.
My EVSE doesn't agree with this. It shows (to my surprise as well), a bulk charge that slightly tapers over 90%+ of the charge time, the precipitously drops for the last few minutes until full.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_4082.PNG (101.7 KB, 42 views)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicosan View Post
Quote:
My EVSE doesn't agree with this. It shows (to my surprise as well), a bulk charge that slightly tapers over 90%+ of the charge time, the precipitously drops for the last few minutes until full.
What EV are you speaking of and what battery technology does it use? Older EV models used NiMh which does not follow that rule.

If your charge graph is for Li-Ion, I will investigate why i'm wrong because its the material that takes the charge like I described - has nothing to do with what its for. That being said the future holds Li-Ion materials that can be flash charged to full in 2min and does not follow these rules either.

But older than present should..

-British Columbia Canada

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
What EV are you speaking of and what battery technology does it use? Older EV models used NiMh which does not follow that rule.

If your charge graph is for Li-Ion, I will investigate why i'm wrong because its the material that takes the charge like I described - has nothing to do with what its for. That being said the future holds Li-Ion materials that can be flash charged to full in 2min and does not follow these rules either.

But older than present should..
It only uses 75 to 80 % of the battery.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page