Scheduled Charging doesn't work - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:02 PM

I'm planning on picking up a plug that will manually send current for me (wifi, smart, or otherwise). Does anyone know what specs we need to do this safely with a level 1 charger? Is 15 amps enough?

Like others before me, I've found the built in scheduler unreliable, with at least two entire nights of the charger never turning on and leaving my battery empty in the morning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:59 PM

I have measured the current draw of the supplied level 1 charger -- it was 11.82 amps, or 1.443 kilowatts. Fpr a wifi switch I was looking at a iTead Sonoff Pow. It doesn't come with a plug and socket so you would need to splice it into a short heavy duty extension cord. Not too hard to do. https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-Wirele.../dp/B06XSD6PD6
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
Yesterday I found a work around to the bad software. I charged during the day at work by turning off the schedule in the hybrid app menu. That evening I plugged in the car at home and went back to the scheduler menu and enabled it. The car stopped charging and stated it was waiting to charge per schedule. I came out at 11 PM when the schedule was set to start the charging, and miracle of miracles, it was actually doing what it was supposed to. Yes it is inconvenient to have to turn the schedule on and off every day, but it is much better than having to stay up late every night to go turn the van on to kick off the charging when the rates are much lower. I will check that this works for a few days before I declare victory. Still no call back from the dealer. Probably hoping I go away.
They already have you money lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
I have measured the current draw of the supplied level 1 charger -- it was 11.82 amps, or 1.443 kilowatts. Fpr a wifi switch I was looking at a iTead Sonoff Pow. It doesn't come with a plug and socket so you would need to splice it into a short heavy duty extension cord. Not too hard to do. https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-Wirele.../dp/B06XSD6PD6
Interesting. Why that one? There seems to be plenty of options that are rated up to 15 amps available. Why bother with splicing?

post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:48 AM

I can't say I spent much time searching for a wifi switch. The others I found either didn't list the maximum current draw at all, or were rated too low. What did you find?
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:30 AM

Just the first thing that shows up seems to say that it supports 15amp draw. I'm not that savvy on electronics though. I am genuinely asking... Am I missing something?

TP-Link Smart Plug, No Hub Required, Wi-Fi, Control your Devices from Anywhere, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (HS100)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178IC734..._q.OoAbXGZR2ST

post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:56 AM

You are right that should work. I did look at that one before but the specifications didn't list the maximum current. I see now that it says elsewhere on the page that that max current is 15A.
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
You are right that should work. I did look at that one before but the specifications didn't list the maximum current. I see now that it says elsewhere on the page that that max current is 15A.
Thanks for checking it out. Got me nervous, don't want to start an electrical fire!

post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 12:47 PM

I have same issue with scheduled charging for my 2 weeks old 2018 PacH. Its at dealer right now for diagnosis, will update later.

Last edited by 2018PacH; 12-20-2017 at 12:50 PM.
post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
Yesterday I found a work around to the bad software. I charged during the day at work by turning off the schedule in the hybrid app menu. That evening I plugged in the car at home and went back to the scheduler menu and enabled it. The car stopped charging and stated it was waiting to charge per schedule. I came out at 11 PM when the schedule was set to start the charging, and miracle of miracles, it was actually doing what it was supposed to. Yes it is inconvenient to have to turn the schedule on and off every day, but it is much better than having to stay up late every night to go turn the van on to kick off the charging when the rates are much lower. I will check that this works for a few days before I declare victory. Still no call back from the dealer. Probably hoping I go away.
I have 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, and have the same problems with the scheduling. The scheduler does not work whether I program it to charge within a certain time window, or whether I program it to start at a certain time and continue charging until full. It appears the only viable solution is that described by kmac. I also noticed that the scheduling works the very first time after I do some change (e.g. changing the start time from 11pm to 11:15pm).

I have Nissan Leaf and never had a slightest problem with the scheduler which I use every day for the last three years. What's more, Nissan's scheduler is much more convenient because it allows you to schedule the time of completion, not the time when the charging starts. My low-rate electricity window is from 11pm until 7am on weekdays. Because the battery is under more stress when it is fully charged, I reduce the stress by scheduling the completion time just before I actually need the car. I leave for work after 8am, so for Nissan Leaf I schedule the completion time at 7am. It is the least stress and in the most cost efficient way possible. With Chrysler, however, the best I can do is to schedule the charging from 4:45am until 7am (or until fully charged, which is the same result). First, this is not efficient, particularly when the car is already substantially charged to begin with. Second, with Chrysler's buggy software, at 4:45am I cannot verify whether the charging has actually started. I must schedule it at 11pm, so that I could go to bed after having checked that the charging actually started. This needlessly stresses the battery that is fully charged all night.

For L1 charging I partially solved the problem by using 120V timer Woods 50015WD which I bought on Amazon when it was $19. It works perfect especially because I can program weekends and weekdays differently. The major problem is that during weekdays I have only 8 hours (from 11pm until 7am) which is not enough to charge Pacifica, even from 20%. For L2 charging, I could not find a simialr timer. It appears the only viable solution (other than that probposed by kmac) is to buy an expensive new charger with the scheduling capability, or JuicePlug (for $199).

I was wondering if Chrysler responded in any way to those people who complained and were promised a software update? Did the update solve the issue? It appears Chrysler is well aware of the scheduling issue not only from such complaints, but also from monitoring this forum. If Chrysler is ignoring this issue, I think that we can bring a class action against Chrysler for misrepresentation and breach of warranty.
BostonPacHy2018 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page