won't charge when hot? - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp5717 View Post
Yeah, no amount of replacing electrical components will stop physics. I had this exact same issue but you probably won’t like my solution!

I live in Phoenix and once the outside temp passed 100, I started getting the same fault. My garage gets the brunt of the sun from my house and when it’s 115 outside, it gets very very hot in there and within minutes of me hooking up the charger, it faults for temperature. I had an extremely heavy duty extension power cable, (I ensured it met all power ratings and requirements), so I tried that and it still faulted fairly quickly. Finally, after losing my mind trying to find a solution, I realized I have a chest freezer in my garage as well, this chest freezer had a basket in the top, so I did some modding of the freezer to allow the power cable to come into the freezer and hooked up the EVSE in the freezer, then routes the EVSE’s cable out to the vehicle from there. The EVSE says it’s rated for down to -50 Celsius and I know my power cable matches. The results of the story is that it worked great after that! Never had another fault and the charging is back up to normal 12 hours instead of the like 16-19 hours it was taking before when I would have an overheating fault.
I'm in Phoenix too. It started this summer around 90 degrees for me. I'm paranoid about using an extension cord since the manual advises not to. Where did you find the EVSE's temp ratings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:51 AM

I almost feel humidity plays a role - it hasn't been blazing hot here in DFW but I've seen this issue in my garage, in hi-80s temps. Gets worse if humid.

2019 Pacifica S Hybrid Limited - Brilliant Black, all options
2016 Dodge// Charger R/T Scat Pack - B5 Blue
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperiod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp5717 View Post
Yeah, no amount of replacing electrical components will stop physics. I had this exact same issue but you probably won’t like my solution!

I live in Phoenix and once the outside temp passed 100, I started getting the same fault. My garage gets the brunt of the sun from my house and when it’s 115 outside, it gets very very hot in there and within minutes of me hooking up the charger, it faults for temperature. I had an extremely heavy duty extension power cable, (I ensured it met all power ratings and requirements), so I tried that and it still faulted fairly quickly. Finally, after losing my mind trying to find a solution, I realized I have a chest freezer in my garage as well, this chest freezer had a basket in the top, so I did some modding of the freezer to allow the power cable to come into the freezer and hooked up the EVSE in the freezer, then routes the EVSE’s cable out to the vehicle from there. The EVSE says it’s rated for down to -50 Celsius and I know my power cable matches. The results of the story is that it worked great after that! Never had another fault and the charging is back up to normal 12 hours instead of the like 16-19 hours it was taking before when I would have an overheating fault.
I'm in Phoenix too. It started this summer around 90 degrees for me. I'm paranoid about using an extension cord since the manual advises not to. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/PacificaForums/smilies/tango_face_sad.png[/IMG] Where did you find the EVSE's temp ratings?
Yeah, that’s Phoenix for you haha. It took me a while but I found it inscribed on the cabling connected to the EVSE.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
I almost feel humidity plays a role - it hasn't been blazing hot here in DFW but I've seen this issue in my garage, in hi-80s temps. Gets worse if humid.
I think the humidity plays a role. I've noticed the same thing in Florida when the temps, while definitely warm, might not be considered 'hot'. But with a high humidity, the same problem occurs. At the very least, EV range decreases.
Johnnyma45 likes this.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
I think the humidity plays a role. I've noticed the same thing in Florida when the temps, while definitely warm, might not be considered 'hot'. But with a high humidity, the same problem occurs. At the very least, EV range decreases.
Hmmmm. It wouldn’t seem that humidity would play a role in that. I think that high humidity only affects heat loss if evaporation is involved (like with the human body sweating). And since the thermistor would only detect temperature it wouldn’t care whether the humidity is 0 or 100%. Just my observation...

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page