won't charge when hot? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

won't charge when hot?

Lately I've been plugging in the van with the OEM charger that came with it. The charger starts blinking all these lights pretty quickly and it seems to correspond to when it's really hot in the garage. Is there a protect circuit in the charger if it gets hot or something. I'm guessing the temp in the garage is probably 90+ when this happens. The manual didn't help. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:20 AM

From the owner's manual, starting on page 27:

Troubleshooting Using The Status Indicator Display
If the vehicle is not charging properly, consult the status indicator lights...

When a fault is detected, the AC Power Indicator, the Fault Indicator, or both the AC Power and Fault Indicators will flash red. If only the AC Power Indicator is red, there is a problem on the AC Power side of the unit. If only the Fault Indicator is flashing red, there is a problem internal to the unit or with the vehicle. If both the AC Power and Fault Indicators are flashing red, an over temperature condition is detected at either the AC plug or within the EVSE enclosure. Additional information about the faults is provided by a fault code that is displayed on the two green Charge Rate Indicators. The fault code consists of four digits, each with a value of 1 or 2. The value of a digit is the number of indicators illuminated for that part of the sequence. For example, fault code (1, 2, 1, 1) will display the following sequence: One indicator will illuminate for 0.3 seconds, then two indicators will illuminate, then one indicator, and finally one indicator will illuminate. After all four fault code digits have been displayed, the indicators will remain off for one second before repeating the sequence.

In the case of over temperatures, the manual identifies the following possibilities:

Flashing Fault Code
1, 1, 2, 1

Flashing Indicator
Fault & AC Power

Fault Indication
EVSE Enclosure Internal Temperature is Too High

Recommended Actions
Use caution as the Portable EVSE Cordset housing may be hot. It is recommended to move the Portable EVSE Cordset out of direct sun exposure. Allow the unit to cool. If error persists, check the Portable EVSE Cordset at a service location.

Flashing Fault Code
1, 1, 1, 2

Flashing Indicator
Fault & AC Power

Fault Indication
Hot AC Power Plug

Recommended Actions
Use caution as the Portable EVSE Cordset AC Power Warning Plug may be hot. It is recommended to carefully unplug the unit from the wall outlet and allow it to cool down. Attempt to charge the vehicle at a different wall outlet. Contact a certified electrician to inspect/replace the wall outlet that was associated with the Hot AC Plug event. Charging will still occur, but at a reduced rate.

Flashing Fault Code
1, 1, 1, 1

Flashing Indicator
Fault & AC Power

Fault Indication
AC Power Plug Over Temperature

Recommended Actions
Use caution as the Portable EVSE Cordset AC Power Plug may be hot. It is recommended to carefully unplug the unit from the wall outlet and allow it to cool down. Attempt to charge the vehicle at a different outlet. Contact a certified electrician to inspect/replace the outlet that was associated with the Hot AC Plug event

2018 Bright White Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Ordered: 15 SEP 2017
VIN: 19 SEP 2017
D1: 19 SEP 2017
Build sheet: 25 SEP 2017
JS: 28 SEP 2017
SL: 28 OCT 2017
KZ: 29 OCT 2017
Sticker: 30 OCT 2017
Dealer: 21 NOV 2017
Possession: 28 NOV 2017

Last edited by seo68; 06-16-2018 at 01:34 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. That helps.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 06:17 AM

Mine does the same, but; if you open and close a door it will start charging.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 09:37 AM

Mine does this also. If I open and close the drivers door after plugging in it starts charging, I don't know why.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:55 AM

The factory EVSE charger has a thermistor in the male 120V plug head. This 10 Kohm thermistor is a temperature sensor that the EVSE uses to detect a poor connection to your outlet contacts that are overheating. If the outlet you are using is old or poor quality, it may not make good contact with your charge plug contacts and may overheat. The EVSE will not put your house at risk if this occurs.
Remedy: Go to your local big box store and purchase a 20a rated commercial grade household outlet and replace the one in your house. These have stronger pinch loading of the plug blades and will make better contact for years of plugging and unplugging (I replace all my "loose" outlets with these). I would also recommend using a dedicated service outlet (only one outlet on that breaker), or at least the first outlet of that circuit's chain of outlets.
BTW, for those of you who use a 240V to 120V pigtail converter or an extension cord against the recommendations of the EVSE labeling, you have lost this thermistor's protection and may be putting your home at risk.
PacDave likes this.

It's NOT Rocket Science!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 PacHy Limited
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocketman View Post
The factory EVSE charger has a thermistor in the male 120V plug head. This 10 Kohm thermistor is a temperature sensor that the EVSE uses to detect a poor connection to your outlet contacts that are overheating. If the outlet you are using is old or poor quality, it may not make good contact with your charge plug contacts and may overheat. The EVSE will not put your house at risk if this occurs.
Remedy: Go to your local big box store and purchase a 20a rated commercial grade household outlet and replace the one in your house. These have stronger pinch loading of the plug blades and will make better contact for years of plugging and unplugging (I replace all my "loose" outlets with these). I would also recommend using a dedicated service outlet (only one outlet on that breaker), or at least the first outlet of that circuit's chain of outlets.
BTW, for those of you who use a 240V to 120V pigtail converter or an extension cord against the recommendations of the EVSE labeling, you have lost this thermistor's protection and may be putting your home at risk.
I replaced my 15 amp outlet last summer but ended up having to put a fan on it until the weather cooled. The charger starting faulting even sooner this summer, and the fan isn't helping. I've tried another outlet in the garage with the same effect. If I plug it in the house and run it under the garage door, it works just fine. Ideas?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:57 AM

Yeah, no amount of replacing electrical components will stop physics. I had this exact same issue but you probably won’t like my solution!

I live in Phoenix and once the outside temp passed 100, I started getting the same fault. My garage gets the brunt of the sun from my house and when it’s 115 outside, it gets very very hot in there and within minutes of me hooking up the charger, it faults for temperature. I had an extremely heavy duty extension power cable, (I ensured it met all power ratings and requirements), so I tried that and it still faulted fairly quickly. Finally, after losing my mind trying to find a solution, I realized I have a chest freezer in my garage as well, this chest freezer had a basket in the top, so I did some modding of the freezer to allow the power cable to come into the freezer and hooked up the EVSE in the freezer, then routes the EVSE’s cable out to the vehicle from there. The EVSE says it’s rated for down to -50 Celsius and I know my power cable matches. The results of the story is that it worked great after that! Never had another fault and the charging is back up to normal 12 hours instead of the like 16-19 hours it was taking before when I would have an overheating fault.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctp5717 View Post
Yeah, no amount of replacing electrical components will stop physics. I had this exact same issue but you probably wonít like my solution!

I live in Phoenix and once the outside temp passed 100, I started getting the same fault. My garage gets the brunt of the sun from my house and when itís 115 outside, it gets very very hot in there and within minutes of me hooking up the charger, it faults for temperature. I had an extremely heavy duty extension power cable, (I ensured it met all power ratings and requirements), so I tried that and it still faulted fairly quickly. Finally, after losing my mind trying to find a solution, I realized I have a chest freezer in my garage as well, this chest freezer had a basket in the top, so I did some modding of the freezer to allow the power cable to come into the freezer and hooked up the EVSE in the freezer, then routes the EVSEís cable out to the vehicle from there. The EVSE says itís rated for down to -50 Celsius and I know my power cable matches. The results of the story is that it worked great after that! Never had another fault and the charging is back up to normal 12 hours instead of the like 16-19 hours it was taking before when I would have an overheating fault.
Made me laugh but, hey, it works!

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperiod View Post
I replaced my 15 amp outlet last summer but ended up having to put a fan on it until the weather cooled. The charger starting faulting even sooner this summer, and the fan isn't helping. I've tried another outlet in the garage with the same effect. If I plug it in the house and run it under the garage door, it works just fine. Ideas?
Small portable 120v or 12v with 120v adapter refrigerator. They sell them at truck stops.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page