Battery teardwon video - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Battery teardwon video

This guy is focuses mostly on reusing the cells for his solar system storage, but the video is still interesting to watch. I'm impressed with his almost total disregard for the safety procedures.
BrettP, m0ebius604 and AZBean like this.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jAO8dqBbSo
This guy is focuses mostly on reusing the cells for his solar system storage, but the video is still interesting to watch. I'm impressed with his almost total disregard for the safety procedures.
So if I understand it correctly, the Pacifica hybrid has very good batteries.
...got the battery pack because of a fire in a Pacifica?

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jAO8dqBbSo
Almost total disregard. He did have a fire extinguisher

So the battery pack is 6 groups of 16 cells in series. That is what he meant when he said they were "16S". Each group of 16 cells was measured at 56 volts. 56 / 16 = 3.5, which is about right for a discharged lithium cell. If all six groups are wired in series then the total pack voltage should be 6 x 56 = 336 volts. Fully charged the pack voltage should be 6 x 16 x 3.7 = 355 volts. He says he thinks the cells are 45 amp hours. 45 x 355 = 15.975 kilowatt hours which sounds about right.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
So if I understand it correctly, the Pacifica hybrid has very good batteries.
...got the battery pack because of a fire in a Pacifica?
Yes, it looks like the battery had a bit of damage from a fire that originated externally. Maybe the owner was reckless with his cigarette.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
Almost total disregard. He did have a fire extinguisher
I didn't notice the fire extinguisher, but he held the test leads in one hand when measuring the module voltage.
I don't blame him. The extreme measures called for by OEM may be necessary only in rare cases where the battery is on a verge of meltdown or where its metal frame and case are energized. Otherwise one needs to do something really stupid to get in trouble. Only removing the power jumper bars between the modules have to be done with precautions and insulated tools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
So the battery pack is 6 groups of 16 cells in series. That is what he meant when he said they were "16S". Each group of 16 cells was measured at 56 volts. 56 / 16 = 3.5, which is about right for a discharged lithium cell. If all six groups are wired in series then the total pack voltage should be 6 x 56 = 336 volts. Fully charged the pack voltage should be 6 x 16 x 3.7 = 355 volts. He says he thinks the cells are 45 amp hours. 45 x 355 = 15.975 kilowatt hours which sounds about right.
His 45AH guess is just that. Not possible to tell the capacity from size and weight. BMW i3 went from 60AH to 120AH modules in the span of 5 years without any changes in the size and only minimal in weight.
m0ebius604 likes this.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, it looks like the battery had a bit of damage from a fire that originated externally. Maybe the owner was reckless with his cigarette.
Burning cats likely!

The battery label should describe the battery kW and ah of its internals. I'm on a plane at the moment and havent watched the video yet.

But what i've seen with tesla battery's and such someone will die. There are live terminals inside these at voltages around 300v when "drained"!

Thats plenty enough.. by the book, 50vDC is life threatening at less than 500ma.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 10-19-2018 at 06:11 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
Burning cats likely!

The battery label should describe the battery kW and ah of its internals. I'm on a plane at the moment and havent watched the video yet.

But what i've seen with tesla battery's and such someone will die. There are live terminals inside these at voltages around 300v when "drained"!

Thats plenty enough.. by the book, 50vDC is life threatening at less than 500ma.
He didn't say anything about the labels and ratings on them. The battery design looks similar to the Bolt's. According to the incredibly detailed video linked below, the safety disconnect effectively separates the battery in two parts, so the highest voltage that can be found would be 160V. And it would take a considerable effort and recklessness to actually put anything conductive or bare hands across that voltage. It takes some very basic precautions to be safe. After all even a low voltage is not harmless. Dropping a screwdriver between the terminals of a regular 12V Lead battery can be deadly.

Anyway, the battery isn't difficult to repair. I don't know why FCA considers it unserviceable.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:01 AM

Garage
Weber's a pro, look at what the average joe is doing.

We can play a fun game here and count the safety hazards/violations.

We are on the frontier of electriv vehicles and there are really no rules in the aftermarket, wreckers and salvage. And wont be until someone dies.

The average joe can bring these home and do anything they like at this point in time.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 10-20-2018 at 12:06 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:42 AM

what's fascinating to me is how similar this pack is to one in Lexus RX / Highlander

yeah i know it's lithium and water cooled not ni-mh air cooled but the size is very similar which is crazy IMO because the PacHy battery has 30 miles of range and Lexus / Toyota is not even a plug in at all !

the weight difference is substantial though - 153 lbs vs 368 lbs ...

so 200 lbs more, but it's definitely worth it to get that 30 miles of range.

not to mention the tax credit

also crazy PacHy gets same 30 mpg as Lexus RX 450h even though PacHy has 140 cubic feet cargo space and Lexus has 55 cubic feet and both cars are powered by V6 of about the same size.

for a company that invented the hybrid over 20 years ago Toyota really needs to up their game ...
stop-eject likes this.

Last edited by g1981c; 04-03-2019 at 06:05 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1981c View Post
for a company that invented the hybrid over 20 years ago Toyota really needs to up their game ...
Curbside Newsstand: Toyota Offers Free Access To Its Hybrid Patents ? Too Little, Too Late?

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page