Best Home Level 2 Charger? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Best Home Level 2 Charger?

Hi. I'm wondering which Level 2 charger most people get. I'm considering the Juice Box and the Chargepoint one. I'd most like to get one that I can move between my home and my beach house (with the proper outlet at each location).

Thanks for any advice you have.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 09:42 PM

I have the JuceBox Pro 40 and I’m very happy with it. It is plugin so would be easy to move. You can get an extra “Tab for Wall Bracket” as they call it which is the part on the wall for $8.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:46 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either charger.

I have the Chargepoint and I'm very happy with it. I like how it tracks how much charge I use (provides a charging history). I suspect the Juicebox has the same functionality. One added bonus (for me) is there are a fair amount of Chargepoint chargers near my work, so if I charge up at work I have a record of all my charging (home and work) in the one app.

Our Pacifica's can't take advantage of the higher charging rates of the 40 amp models... so, get the 32 amp model if you don't want the thicker/heavier cord that comes with the 40 amp chargers. Conversely, consider getting the 40 amp model if you plan use it for another PHEV/EV that can take advantage of the 40 amps in the future.

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Tri–Pane Panoramic Sunroof
18–Inch x 7.5–Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
Build date 10/25/2018

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM

We also have a chargepoint and are also happy with it.

We have time of use rates, so I have the charger scheduled to charge only then. But if we're depleted and need more juice we can open the app and click "charge now" without doing anything else at all. If we don't need juice we plug in and it only starts to charge when the schedule says so.

Like the person above there's a fair amount of public Chargepoints around us as well. So 1 app on the phone was beneficial / easier for home and away charging. We tend to use these locations quite often so it was beneficial to have the van's schedule turned off and to use the scheduler on our home charger. Not to mention the increased reliability of the scheduler over the van's.

Ultimately the "best" depends on what feature-set you're looking for. A Chargepoint isn't likely the best if all you want to do is simply plug it in and get a charge (don't care about wifi / scheduling / smart features / etc).

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan=MegaFun View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with either charger.

I have the Chargepoint and I'm very happy with it. I like how it tracks how much charge I use (provides a charging history). I suspect the Juicebox has the same functionality. One added bonus (for me) is there are a fair amount of Chargepoint chargers near my work, so if I charge up at work I have a record of all my charging (home and work) in the one app.

Our Pacifica's can't take advantage of the higher charging rates of the 40 amp models... so, get the 32 amp model if you don't want the thicker/heavier cord that comes with the 40 amp chargers. Conversely, consider getting the 40 amp model if you plan use it for another PHEV/EV that can take advantage of the 40 amps in the future.
I think that it is inevitable that there will be more electric cars in the future. How much heavier / more difficult is it to have the 40 amp charger?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLMVR View Post
We also have a chargepoint and are also happy with it.

We have time of use rates, so I have the charger scheduled to charge only then. But if we're depleted and need more juice we can open the app and click "charge now" without doing anything else at all. If we don't need juice we plug in and it only starts to charge when the schedule says so.

Like the person above there's a fair amount of public Chargepoints around us as well. So 1 app on the phone was beneficial / easier for home and away charging. We tend to use these locations quite often so it was beneficial to have the van's schedule turned off and to use the scheduler on our home charger. Not to mention the increased reliability of the scheduler over the van's.

Ultimately the "best" depends on what feature-set you're looking for. A Chargepoint isn't likely the best if all you want to do is simply plug it in and get a charge (don't care about wifi / scheduling / smart features / etc).
As an aside, does anyone know the level of proliferation of commercial chargers? It sure seems like Chargepoint has the largest saturation and that might be a factor on home charger choice (although Chargepoint chargers do seem to be on the expensive side).

Still, if they're the current market leaders, Chargepoint might be the one to go with. It's also worth noting that Chargepoint seems to have a good customer service department, at least as it applies to the commercial side. I'd be willing to guess that contacting them about any home installation issues would be the same.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
...does anyone know the level of proliferation of commercial chargers?...
Depends on your location, you can find them on a map near you:

https://www.plugshare.com/

Note that the breaker you install in your electrical panel must be higher rated than the charger you plug into it. So, if you buy a 32 amp charger, you need to plug it into a 40 amp circuit, for example. And a 40 amp charger should be plugged into a 50 amp circuit. This may make a difference in installation costs for the new outlet you put in your panel.

I had to get an entirely new panel installed in my older house, and this even required a new meter to be put in by the utility company since our old one was getting "phased" out. (electrical pun intended!)

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, Jazz Blue
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Last edited by GlenP; 03-04-2019 at 12:30 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenP View Post
Depends on your location, you can find them on a map near you:

https://www.plugshare.com/
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was thinking more in terms of what brand is most in use at commercial sites. It certainly seems like ChargePoint is the current leader, but that's just from an isolated sampling in my immediate area.

I haven't visited any of the other websites, but ChargePoint has a couple of programs specifically targeting commercial users. If they are, in fact, the largest installer of commercial chargers, it would seem to be a point in their favor for a residential installation, as well (pricey as it might be).

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST

Last edited by rudiger; 03-04-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page