Losing Range On Max Charge - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DillyDally

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Losing Range On Max Charge

Not sure if the has already been discussed but I am currently having issues with the estimated range on a full charge using a level 2 charger. At first I thought it was due to the cold weather we had last week where at -15 C or 5 F, I was only getting roughly 49 Km or 30 Miles on a full charge. But today it is well above freezing at 7 C/45 F and it only went to 47 Km/29 miles. I have brought this issue up at the dealership before and they say there is no issue. Could there be an issue with my level 2 charger? Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 12:34 PM

There is no issue.

The range indicator is a guestimate at best calculated by a computer based on a combination of historical and current usage data.

Just because it says 49km when you get in the car, it doesn't necessarily mean you're hitting that for sure. It's a guess at what you could likely hit if all the stars stay aligned for you in your drive.

Likewise, if it says 36 you very well might get more than that if you had a few bad runs then get straight onto a 2 lane highway with no traffic, no stops and the wind at your back.

Frankly I'm surprised it didn't drop more for you given the environmental conditions.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
I'm missing something here I think. If you're getting 29 miles in that cold of weather your van is doing an amazing job.
esee135 likes this.

2019 Pachy Limited S - black on black on black, Safetytec, no sunroof

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 10:44 PM

I get between 17-21 battery miles on full charge in Temps between minus 9 and 10 above on my 2019.

2019 CHRYSLER PACIFICA HYBRID LIMITED
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmann52 View Post
I get between 17-21 battery miles on full charge in Temps between minus 9 and 10 above on my 2019.
Same here. We are right around 18.5 to 23.7 based on my last calculations. That is running in outside temps -5 F in Northern Michigan. When we charged after the recent warm up (42 degrees F). It said we had a max range at 28 miles with the battery at 100%. But we are already at 26 miles driven and it said we had 3 miles left with 9% remaining before putting it on the charger tonight.

2019 PacHy Limited
Granite Crystal w/ S Pkg
Advanced Safety Tech Group
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:32 AM

Today, from Associated Press:
DETROIT Cold temperatures can sap electric car batteries, temporarily reducing their range by more than 40 percent when interior heaters are used, a new study found.

The study of five electric vehicles by AAA also found that high temperatures can cut into battery range, but not nearly as much as the cold. The range returns to normal in more comfortable temperatures.

Many owners discovered the range limitations last week when much of the country was in the grips of a polar vortex. Owners of vehicles made by manufacturers including Tesla, the top-selling electric vehicle company in the U.S., complained on social media about reduced range

2018 Limited Gas
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:27 PM

Garage
Wellie, I’d agree with the others, if you are getting close to 30 real miles on a full charge, you are not doing bad at all! Max miles I’ve found in ideal conditions without using comfort settings, is 30-34 miles. It should be much less if used in cold weather with conveniences.

Current happy owner/operator of 2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Previous happy owner of a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L, and before that a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, White with alloy intererior, Nav, safetytec, tri-pane sunroof, all weather mats/cargo liner for the Newfs. Enjoying multiple $7,500 EV rebates thanks to the tax code!
True odometer measured mileage on full charge = 30-34.
True average MPG on highway 30-33.
True range (ICE+EV) leaving at least 2 gallons in the 16.5 gallon tank = ~450 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page