Doubling battery capacity, let's imagine it at least... - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Doubling battery capacity, let's imagine it at least...

So let's say I can get my hands on a slightly used PacHy battery pack, the rear compartment where the seats fold down seems about the right size for it. Let's assume it would fit, could you just parallel the two packs with their own BMS systems? I'm assuming computer would be confused, so maybe having a transfer switch may do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 PM

Garage
There are many reasons why it won't work. First of all, you have no idea how many safety systems will go haywire and shut the entire vehicle down.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
There are many reasons why it won't work. First of all, you have no idea how many safety systems will go haywire and shut the entire vehicle down.
Yeah, I’m sure it definitely wouldn’t work without major changes. Don’t forget that the batteries can be heated or cooled so you’d have to make a provision for that too.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking 10 years down the line, this thing will become a beater, it would be nice to turn up the capacity. I'm sure there are plenty of safety systems, but in the end there are two battery cables coming out of the battery, so in my opinion it should be possible to splice in another equal pack.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachy_viktor View Post
I'm thinking 10 years down the line, this thing will become a beater, it would be nice to turn up the capacity. I'm sure there are plenty of safety systems, but in the end there are two battery cables coming out of the battery, so in my opinion it should be possible to splice in another equal pack.
Prior to the factory offered plug-in version, some early Prius adopters added an additional battery (usually in the spare tire well) to create their own, homebuilt plug-in Prius. I don't know the success rate, but they did do it.

It's a little early for it, but I would imagine that, soon enough, there will be homebuilt, similar attempts at adding a battery to lengthen the range of the PacHy, as well. That big 3rd row seat well is just too tempting a place for someone to use it for another battery, even as ill-advised as it might otherwise seem.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in