Run a charging cable through the window? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By sjambok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Run a charging cable through the window?

I am considering purchasing a Pacifica Hybrid but I don't have a garage. We live in a town home with assigned parking right in front of our house. In order to plug in the car I am guessing I would have to run an extension cord out the window overnight to charge it. Is it insane to do this? Could someone just walk by and steal the cable? Anyone tried this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:08 PM

My first question would be how long of an extension cord do you think you will need? I think I remember reading somewhere that any extension cord is not recommended. The level one charger that comes with the van when new needs a good supply of power (I think 15amp minimum breaker).
I can't say exactly without measuring but the level one is about 15 feet in length and could be easily stolen.
Other than charging the van at home, can you charge at work? What charging options do you have? The only reason I ask is the beauty of the PacHy is that you really don't need to charge it ever. The only benefit of charging is that it is cheaper than a gallon of gas (especially when charging during off peak power times).

I could ask myself the question, would I buy the PacHy if I couldn't charge it at home or at work? After having a positive owner experience with a PacHy, I would say yes. Buy the PacHy for the smooth transmission and if you do a lot of city stop and go driving. Or if you want to be in the HOV lane. That is where it will shine the most.
If you do more Highway or Freeway driving and having access to special HOV lanes isn't important. Then the gas version might be the better choice in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I have read that some of the other EVs will lock the charger in place when the doors lock. Is that not true here?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrius View Post
I have read that some of the other EVs will lock the charger in place when the doors lock. Is that not true here?
Not that I'm aware of.

As to an extension cord, so long as it's a proper, heavy-duty, outdoor-rated thick gauge cord, I would think it'd be okay. Definitely don't be using some cheapo, indoor cord. That's asking for trouble.

If you turn off the interior lights, you could probably run the cord back to the cargo well for the EVSE box, then back out, and leave the rear hatch latched on the first catch without crushing the cord.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:40 AM

IMO, where there is a cable, there is a person who will trip over it. That person has a lawyer. Further, there is a person in your association that has nothing more important in his life than to object to your cable. I wouldn't do it.
Bond007, pachyderm and Rus like this.

Sjambok

2018 Touring L+
Gas
March 2018 Build
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrius View Post
Depends on the car, my Prius Prime and Leaf can lock the charging cable. The PacHy cannot lock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:53 PM
Rus

I took the chance and did it but I had an outdoor plug and used a very heavy gauge extension cord. Later I lost that cord and used a lighter gauge one which was a mistake and the charging cable would not longer come off the extension cord. I think it fused together. So I left that extension cord in the car when I traded up for the PacHy.

You need to know your neighbourhood. I didn't have a theft problem in my complex so it was fine. I lost the good extension cord taking it to work sadly.

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl with S Package
Van's Nickname is Petunia
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappy007 View Post
Depends on the car, my Prius Prime and Leaf can lock the charging cable. The PacHy cannot lock.
I understand wanting to lock the cable when using the OEM EVSE to prevent theft. What bothers me is when someone uses a public charger and locks the cable. That way, no one else can use the charger after it's completed charging. It's particularly annoying on those vehicles that don't take long to fully charge (like the Prius).

I know of at least one charger where the retaining clip has been broken off the plug and I wonder if someone did it specifically to keep anyone from locking the cable.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST

Last edited by rudiger; 04-30-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:33 PM

I'm doing that exactly - were in an urban part of Boston and have a 2nd story apartment. It is currently running the level 1 charger out our second story window. I purchased a 25' 10 Gauge Black Heavy Duty Extension Cord (Ebay $30) and ran that out of my kitchen window. It goes to a Waterproof IP65 Enclosure ABS Control Electronic Junction Box that I mounted on the outside of our downstairs neighbor's wall. In the box, it connects to the Level 1 charger that came with the car. I could lock the box, but the box has a special key anyway to open.

I've considered upgrading to a level 2 charger, but the level 1 is sufficient for most days. It does provide a trip hazard, but the only ones in our back parking lot are us and our neighbors. If you live in a fancy place with an overreaching HOA they might not like it, but our landlord is just happy to collect his rent. It is a pain if I want to unplug the charger to take it with me, but rarely do I need to do that.

Figure out how long an extension cord you need, and what gauge you need. I first tested it with a regular 100' ft outdoor cord. The car charged, but the charger was smart enough to only pull so much power so it took 2-3x as long to charge.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Figure out how long an extension cord you need, and what gauge you need. I first tested it with a regular 100' ft outdoor cord. The car charged, but the charger was smart enough to only pull so much power so it took 2-3x as long to charge.
My guess is that this has nothing to do with the ‘charger’ being smart enough to only pull so much power. It’s more likely that the charging circuit in the car just doesn’t operate well at lower voltage levels. I think the Level 1 EVSE will still output the same duty cycle square wave on the pilot signal regardless of whether it is charging at 120v or 110v (with a 100-ft. 16-gauge extension cord you’re likely only getting 110v at the other end). Even with a voltage drop of 10v across the extension cord it should still be able to deliver 90% of the power.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page