Best recommended Level 2 Home Charger for 2018? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By ThisSuckersElectrical
  • 2 Post By PlatinumHybrid
  • 2 Post By CANADAHYBRIDGUY
  • 2 Post By DavisonDave
  • 1 Post By PlatinumHybrid
  • 2 Post By PacDave
  • 1 Post By triggerhappy007

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Best recommended Level 2 Home Charger for 2018?

Hello - we just bought a brand new 2018 Hybrid. What's the best recommended Level 2 Home Charger? There seems to be a lot of options to choose from. What's the recommended amp and is there concerns with going with a 40amp vs 32amp? Also any concerns with getting a portable 240v 30+amp vs a mounted hardwire?

Thanks in advance.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 04:12 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello - we just bought a brand new 2018 Hybrid. What's the best recommended Level 2 Home Charger? There seems to be a lot of options to choose from. What's the recommended amp and is there concerns with going with a 40amp vs 32amp? Also any concerns with getting a portable 240v 30+amp vs a mounted hardwire?

Thanks in advance.

Josh
After a week of research and marking brands off one by one, I went with this one:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...r-charger.html

So far it has worked flawlessly, and it looks really cool pulsating green while it is charging.

The main reason I chose Siemens was the quality of the components and information about problems with other brands not charging properly or at all. Anything above 30amp will not hurt anything but will be of no benefit, and you will be throwing money away. The Pacifica's internal charging system only allows 30amp max. The unit I got can be both hardwired and portable. If I go out of town I can remove the security bolts I installed and take it with me and plug it into any 220 NEMA 6-50 outlet. (like at an RV park)

In the end, I narrowed it down to two. The Siemens and the Bocsh. At this point, I consulted a commercial electrician I know and had him review the tech specs of the two. He said both are excellent chargers but the Siemens internal components and design was the best.
[email protected] likes this.

Last edited by ThisSuckersElectrical; 08-04-2019 at 04:51 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:18 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Thanks in advance.

Josh
If you're looking for a rock-solid, no frills EVSE that's made in America, consider ClipperCreek:

https://www.clippercreek.com/

I have the HCS-40P (NEMA 14-50 plug) inside an enclosed garage, and it's been excellent! Good luck!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:36 AM

You should have also considered down the road principle . Let’s say in 2 years you want to trade up to something bigger to charge , the charger itself will be obsolete and then your back to square one . Just my 2 cents about why I bought a juicebox pro and a ChargePoint unit . . Good luck with the unit
mark and [email protected] like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANADAHYBRIDGUY View Post
You should have also considered down the road principle . Letís say in 2 years you want to trade up to something bigger to charge , the charger itself will be obsolete and then your back to square one . Just my 2 cents about why I bought a juicebox pro and a ChargePoint unit . . Good luck with the unit
I agree. Down the road is why I bought a JuiceBox Pro 40. It has no advantage for me today over the JuiceBox Pro 32 however this will not be my last plug in car. If the next one can take higher current which will most likely be the case going with the 40 amp unit will pay off.
mark and [email protected] like this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 03:49 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
You should have also considered down the road principle . Letís say in 2 years you want to trade up to something bigger to charge , the charger itself will be obsolete and then your back to square one . Just my 2 cents about why I bought a juicebox pro and a ChargePoint unit . . Good luck with the unit
Another consideration if you want to future-proof, the HCS-D40 Dual Charging Station:

https://store.clippercreek.com/new/d...arging-station

That EVSE can charge 2 EVs simultaneously from just one circuit and one unit. If you are relatively certain that you will purchase another EV in the future, this would allow for dual charging. Had this been available when I bought my PacHy, I probably would have gone this route, as my intent is to get another EV in the future. Just a suggestion.
[email protected] likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSuckersElectrical View Post
After a week of research and marking brands off one by one, I went with this one:

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...r-charger.html

So far it has worked flawlessly, and it looks really cool pulsating green while it is charging.

The main reason I chose Siemens was the quality of the components and information about problems with other brands not charging properly or at all. Anything above 30amp will not hurt anything but will be of no benefit, and you will be throwing money away. The Pacifica's internal charging system only allows 30amp max. The unit I got can be both hardwired and portable. If I go out of town I can remove the security bolts I installed and take it with me and plug it into any 220 NEMA 6-50 outlet. (like at an RV park)

In the end, I narrowed it down to two. The Siemens and the Bocsh. At this point, I consulted a commercial electrician I know and had him review the tech specs of the two. He said both are excellent chargers but the Siemens internal components and design was the best.
I, too, bought a Siemens shortly after we purchased the PacHy. Mineís hardwired in the garage. I saved money and wired it myself. Itís only about 6 feet away from an auxiliary load center that was already in the garage. It has performed flawlessly for me over the last 9 months or so. I use the delayed charging feature quite a bit since I have demand-based rates with the electric company. The unit allows you to delay the charging for 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. I donít have to be super precise on the time and as long as the charging occurs between midnight and 6 AM Iíll be getting a good rate.

I like the unit so much that I bought another one on eBay (non-working) for under 100 bucks. It turns out that someone had tried to replace the J1772 plug with a Duosida brand plug and they had not wired the resistor properly inside the plug that is connected to the proximity detection pin. So for the cost of a resistor ( 2 cents) I got a working Siemens Versicharge for under a hundred bucks! Havenít even decided where to install it yet.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Obsolete is such a harsh word if you're comparing a 32A vs 40A EVSE. So the 40A EVSE would charge about 25% faster. Let's use the Tesla 100 kWh battery pack as an example. Clippercreek says it will take 13 hours at 30A and 17 hours at 40A. 4 hours seems like a long time, but how many people are discharging the whole battery every day? That's around 300 miles of range. If you commute 150 miles daily, the difference would only be 2 hours. If it's 75 miles, that's only 1 hour difference. Most people charge their cars overnight, so that 1-4 hours probably doesn't make a difference unless you're on TOU and drive over 200 miles daily.

https://www.clippercreek.com/wp-cont...0509_Final.jpg
RC Mike likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:04 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDave View Post
I, too, bought a Siemens shortly after we purchased the PacHy. Mine’s hardwired in the garage. I saved money and wired it myself. It’s only about 6 feet away from an auxiliary load center that was already in the garage. It has performed flawlessly for me over the last 9 months or so. I use the delayed charging feature quite a bit since I have demand-based rates with the electric company. The unit allows you to delay the charging for 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours. I don’t have to be super precise on the time and as long as the charging occurs between midnight and 6 AM I’ll be getting a good rate.

I like the unit so much that I bought another one on eBay (non-working) for under 100 bucks. It turns out that someone had tried to replace the J1772 plug with a Duosida brand plug and they had not wired the resistor properly inside the plug that is connected to the proximity detection pin. So for the cost of a resistor ( 2 cents) I got a working Siemens Versicharge for under a hundred bucks! Haven’t even decided where to install it yet.
That's awesome!

I let the Pacifica schedule the charging and it works great. Have mine set to stop charging @2PM and start charging @7PM weekdays. During this time they charge anywhere from $0.11 to $0.48 per kWh. Any other time out of that 5-hour range the price is $0.05 per kWh. Not a fan of peak pricing hours.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page