OEM Cord/Charger - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
OEM Cord/Charger

So what does the OEM cord/charger, that comes with the Pacifica look like? Anybody have any pictures or specs? I don't see much about it.

Also a lot of people are talking about purchasing and installing a Level 2 charger. It seems like people are doing this to:
- take advantage of time of use rates
- use quick charging
- take advantage of govt rebates

but I thought I read somewhere that the one that comes with the Pacifica can also handle 240V. Doesn't this make it a Level 2 charger? So then why are people buying a new one?

For you Canadian/Ontarians, I've read that we can get up to $1000 (really $500) back (www(dot)plugndrive.ca/electric-car-incentives), but don't see too much info out there about it on the official ministry sites.

* Geez guys, finish your location and signature w model!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2
SOLD - 08 Honda Odyssey Touring White no PAX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:10 AM

It didn't say it can handle 240v here is the picture.

https://goo.gl/photos/qbE8iQf5BWbjoAHA9
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, so is that just like an extension cord? I'm guessing it goes in the back where the vacuum/spare tire would normally go, and that's why we can't get one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gory View Post
Thanks, so is that just like an extension cord? I'm guessing it goes in the back where the vacuum/spare tire would normally go, and that's why we can't get one?
I'm not sure about how much area is needed for vacuum/spare - but there's a 12V battery in the driver-side rear side area that might be the reason.

2017 Chrysler Pacifica plug-in is industry-first - SAE International

The EVSE is fairly small. I don't think storage for that would be reason to not have the vacuum or spare tire.
It's sort of like an extension cord - it has a connector for the car at one end and a plug for the electrical outlet at the other.
And in between there's a small box to communicate with the car and monitor/check the electrical connections.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM

The Gen2 Chevy Volt's EVSE can handle 240v, but you need an adapter for the plug to go to a 240v outlet. It's unknown at this point whether the Pacifica's EVSE can also do this. We need to someone to open the thing up and take detailed pictures of the circuitry, so that we can try and figure it out. Any volunteers?

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Billet Silver/Alloy
Advanced SafetyTec

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Best Single-Charge EV Range (no gas): 76 miles
Current MPGe: 108
Current Miles: 40,000+
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toelke View Post
...there's a 12V battery in the driver-side rear side area that might be the reason.
Ok. Now I see it in the diagrams and understand why we can't get a spare tire or vacuum. Weird how it's not by the engine though like in the non-hybrid models.

Also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought that they saw something about possibly using 120/240 with the OEM plug. Thought I was going crazy again.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anothertk View Post
It didn't say it can handle 240v here is the picture.

https://goo.gl/photos/qbE8iQf5BWbjoAHA9
The owner's manual gives very dire warnings about not using an extension cord along with the EVSE. I believe the EVSE's cord is 25 feet long, but I am going to need something longer. Anyone know if this warning is just overblown CYA language, and if you can get away with using a short heavy gauge extension cord?

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Billet Silver/Alloy
Advanced SafetyTec

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Best Single-Charge EV Range (no gas): 76 miles
Current MPGe: 108
Current Miles: 40,000+
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorth View Post
The owner's manual gives very dire warnings about not using an extension cord along with the EVSE. I believe the EVSE's cord is 25 feet long, but I am going to need something longer. Anyone know if this warning is just overblown CYA language, and if you can get away with using a short heavy gauge extension cord?
I have no doubt that you'd be fine with a short heavy gauge extension cord. However, if something bad did happen, the liability would fall on you.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorth View Post
I am planning the same. Look at 10 gauge extension cords for 50 ft. You can search for them on Amazon. $70, and will feel very heavy.

Normal household 120 volt AC current up to 20 amps is carried by 12 gauge wire (e.g. 12/2 romex). The Pacifica charger seems to be around 1000W draw by reverse engineering the charging time vs. the 6600W 2 hour level 2 charger. Going with 10 gauge wire gives you less resistance in the wire and also gives some headroom. I hope the connectors on a 10 gauge extension cord are also expected to take heavy loads.

I would *not* plan on plugging and unplugging the charger from the extension cord. The socket at the end of the extension cord is not rated for many inserts. I plan to just plug the charger in and leave it there.

Aside: electric chain saws also need beefy extension cords. Here is Consumer Reports point of view: Chain saws | Safe extension cords - Consumer Reports News

example chainsaw specs:
16" 12A ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW
Motor .................................................. ..................................... 120 V AC, 60 Hz, 12 Amp
Horsepower .................................................. .................................................. ...... 3.0 HP
Wattage ................................................. 1600 W (running watts) 2400 W (starting watts)

For a 50 ft cord they allow 12 gauge. I'd use 10. http://www.greenworkstools.com/uploa...w_MANUAL_E.pdf
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsnor View Post
The Pacifica charger seems to be around 1000W draw by reverse engineering the charging time ...
There's a picture in this thread - it's a 1440W charger ([email protected])

Quote:
I would *not* plan on plugging and unplugging the charger from the extension cord. The socket at the end of the extension cord is not rated for many inserts. I plan to just plug the charger in and leave it there.
That's a good plan IMO.

I'd also get the shortest extension cord that will work with the largest AWG wire in it.
ie. if 25' will work instead of 50', get the 25'.
Every extra foot of wire that the electricity is running through is extra power that's just heating your garage (or outside) instead of charging your car. It's probably not a huge difference, but those pennies do add up. And the short and high AWG extension cords are usually better made as well - they don't have to skimp as much on the connectors to get the price down.
csnyder likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page