2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

My aching back

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Frig 
#1 ·
We have owned Caravans/Pacifica continuously since 1985 and never have I had so much trouble getting the second row seats in and out, not to mention how heavy and awkward they are. On our 2001 Caravan, I could have the second row seats out in just a couple of minutes, tops and same for the reinstall.
I'm sure things will get easier with practice or at least my back hopes it will.

#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.
I don't have a hybrid, but I did have a 2001 GC so I understand how the seats were removed. I looked at the hybrid's extensive owner's manual (which you can download online from the Mopar website) and the only thing that looked different was that you had to slide the 2nd row seat rearward before you start the removal process. Maybe a hybrid owner will offer you another suggestion.

@mainesail
Edit: If I didn't put the headrest all the way down before folding the seat on the GC, it was more difficult to get a 2nd row seat in and out of the van.

#5 · (Edited)
I use the ThermaCare heatwraps, those help soothe an aching back.

I find it a little bit easier to work with the 2nd row captain chair seat when you fold the seat back to the folded flat and locked position. You pull the seat back recliner lever and fold the seat back all the way forwards. It is still a beast to heft around, but a slightly more compact and less unwieldy beast.

Also, slide the front seats all the way forward and lean their seat backs forwards so you have a little room to work.

My 1996 Ford Windstar had similar 2nd row captain chairs, but the worst was lifting and removing the third row 3 seat bench. That weighed almost as much as a sofa bed. We used that van a lot with the 3rd row seat removed for extra cargo in the back. Very nice feature to have the 3rd row bench in the Pacifica fold into the floor.

#8 ·
Popped them out for the first time today, wasn't as bad as I expected actually. As was mentioned move the front seats forward for more room. One of the straps didn't engage but after a couple of tugs it did then released easily. The trick for me was to stand it upright (the butt end sticking up) and carry it out vertically like the manual says, even has handles sort of, wasn't so unwieldy that way but still is a bit heavy. Took all of a minute. Hopefully they'll pop back in just as easily.

You're 18 years older than in 2001. You just got weaker. LOL
Or that, and it applies to me too! :eek:

#10 ·
Yeah I did too, then i thought, they must have designed it to be somewhat easy, so I basically just got them close and dropped it, front first, and they both snapped into place.

By the way I weighed each first, just for giggles, the driver's side is 67lbs and the passenger's is 68lbs. :nerd:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.