WA State EV Incentive Ending 5/31 - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
Thank you! That link is awesome... I can start putting the pieces together for next year's taxes. You're right, not a comfortable position to be in. These tax exemptions/rebates are a lot of money. And, frankly, the tipping point in buying the PHEV Pacifica instead of the Sienna. I still plan on reaching out to Chrysler - "The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle." Once this topic came up, our dealer/sales team were useless. Two of my least favorite things - buying cars and doing taxes!
Thanks again.
To me, the documents in the link don't necessarily sync up with what I'm hearing in these threads and from the dealer. But the way it's advertised so prominently on the Chrysler website you would think the dealers would know if/how it can be applied. I'm interested to hear back when you get in touch with Chrysler so hopefully you can report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you! That link is awesome... I can start putting the pieces together for next year's taxes. You're right, not a comfortable position to be in. These tax exemptions/rebates are a lot of money. And, frankly, the tipping point in buying the PHEV Pacifica instead of the Sienna. I still plan on reaching out to Chrysler - "The manufacturer or domestic distributor should be able to provide you with a copy of the IRS letter acknowledging the certification of the vehicle." Once this topic came up, our dealer/sales team were useless. Two of my least favorite things - buying cars and doing taxes!
Thanks again.
I found out more through the Facebook Pacific PZEV page. The $7,500 tax credit goes towards your total amount due for the year, so whatever amount is on line 47 on your 1040, you would subtract $7,500 from that. If you didn't owe that much, then you'll get back whatever the difference is. Or you may end up overpaying (once the credit is applied) and get a credit that way. There is a separate form (#8936) that you fill out. I thought that the $7,500 would apply to anything that you would owe at the end of the year (not what you've already paid). That's where I was confused.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 PM

Absolutely, I will share what I find out. So far, I have the four pieces to share with my tax person; Bill of sale, completed form 8936, and the letters (2) from Chrysler (in the link you sent yesterday). The Chrysler letters, one for WA and the other for Federal, should "acknowledge the certification of the vehicle." Fingers crossed!

Still wrapping my head around that $7,500. I heard the same thing - credit is applied to what you owe/burden for the entire year. Not sure about getting anything back if I owe less than $7,500 for 2018. Ugh.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Still wrapping my head around that $7,500. I heard the same thing - credit is applied to what you owe/burden for the entire year. Not sure about getting anything back if I owe less than $7,500 for 2018. Ugh.
I'm not really sure either. This article says you can only get credit for what you owe in the same tax year you purchased the vehicle, so if you owe $3000, that's your credit. You're not going to get a $4500 check from the government for the difference. https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ax-credit-work
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

As part of the transportation budget passed Sunday the WA state legislature has approved to bring back the incentive with some variation. Still needs to be signed by the governor and will then take effect August 1st.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/bienni...20FIN%2019.pdf
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:08 PM

I'm a WA resident and considering a Pacifica Hybrid. Do you know if this means that I would have to wait until Aug. 1st to buy the car to get the sales tax credit? Unfortunately we have a road trip coming up and we don't want to wait that long, and that's real money!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Yes, you'd have to wait until after 8/1/19 to have the first $25k sales tax exempt assuming your pursuance price is under $45k.

Maybe you can use this to get the dealer to bring the price down close to what that tax savings would be for you. I'm guessing they wont be selling as many before 8/1 due to this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page