Not many PacHy's in stock - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Not many PacHy's in stock

I've noticed that Illinois Chrysler dealers really don't have many PacHy's in stock. They have a full rainbow assortment of gas powered Pacifica's but not many Hybrids.
It's not as though they are pre-selling them and just delivering them when they arrive. Is it a lack of profitability? Are they difficult to maintain in inventory? Is there a lack of interest by vehicle shoppers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 10:04 AM

They aren't marketing them very aggressively so a lot of people don't realize that there's a hybrid option. In Georgia, it seems that the dealers only have a couple in stock at any given time too.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 AM

Yes, no surprise. FCA sells 10,000 gas pacificas/mo in the US. Conversely, it sells less than 600/mo of PacHys. Given FCA's 2,500+ dealerships nationwide, that means a dealer might see 3 PacHys during the entire year. Throw in a few dealers like Gilroy, Huntington Beach, etc that sell hundreds of PacHys every year, and that means even fewer to go around for the rest of the country.

And absolutely FCA isn't making much on the PacHy. Throw in the HV battery, EV motors, regen braking, PIM, hybrid tranny, HV wiring, HV heat/coolant system, DC-DC converter, charge port, on-board charger, and engineering costs... these are all costs the regular Pacifica does not have. And they're not cheap. And considering the MSRPs are almost equal, it's obvious there are very little margins on the PacHy.

A primary reason for the PacHy's existence is to reduce FCA's exposure to fuel economy requirements, which it's already paying millions in fines for non compliance. If each PacHy reduces its penalties and credit purchases from other manufactures, selling at a loss isn't such a bad idea.

Besides low production, there's also the fact many of the gas trims can be had for much less than even the base PacHy trim. And given the target market of average families, paying $37+k is out of range for most (versus, say, a $24k gasser). But only FCA knows how it's trying to balance the much more profitable gas pacifica with profit, interest, and sales of the PacHy.

Links:
FCA fuel penalties
Gas Pacifica US Sales
PacHy US Sales
Waldo, stop-eject, Lily and 1 others like this.

2017 Gas Touring L, Curt hitch, 13" aftermarket overhead screen
2018 Limited PacHy, Curt hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
2019 Limited S PacHy, Drawtite hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam

Old 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM

Didn't Waymo order a ton of PacHys? Maybe that's where they are going?

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotbot View Post
Yes, no surprise. FCA sells 10,000 gas pacificas/mo in the US. Conversely, it sells less than 600/mo of PacHys. Given FCA's 2,500+ dealerships nationwide, that means a dealer might see 3 PacHys during the entire year. Throw in a few dealers like Gilroy, Huntington Beach, etc that sell hundreds of PacHys every year, and that means even fewer to go around for the rest of the country.

And absolutely FCA isn't making much on the PacHy. Throw in the HV battery, EV motors, regen braking, PIM, hybrid tranny, HV wiring, HV heat/coolant system, DC-DC converter, charge port, on-board charger, and engineering costs... these are all costs the regular Pacifica does not have. And they're not cheap. And considering the MSRPs are almost equal, it's obvious there are very little margins on the PacHy.

A primary reason for the PacHy's existence is to reduce FCA's exposure to fuel economy requirements, which it's already paying millions in fines for non compliance. If each PacHy reduces its penalties and credit purchases from other manufactures, selling at a loss isn't such a bad idea.

Besides low production, there's also the fact many of the gas trims can be had for much less than even the base PacHy trim. And given the target market of average families, paying $37+k is out of range for most (versus, say, a $24k gasser). But only FCA knows how it's trying to balance the much more profitable gas pacifica with profit, interest, and sales of the PacHy.

Links:
FCA fuel penalties
Gas Pacifica US Sales
PacHy US Sales
Agree with all the above - except that if you factor in the $7500 tax credit, a Pachy Limited is actually cheaper than a same-equipped Gas Limited. I've done the math every which way and even taking into account the 0% offers for the Gas versions as well as increased incentives for those, the Hybrid wins out.

2019 Pacifica S Hybrid Limited - Brilliant Black, all options
2016 Dodge// Charger R/T Scat Pack - B5 Blue
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Garage
Interesting reading in the first link. If the fuel economy requirements will be relaxed, FCA may drop PacHy altogether.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
Old 03-18-2019, 06:35 PM

In Texas, you can get the $7500 Fed credit AND a Tx TCEQ grant for $2500. That's almost $10,000 off the drive-off price. I say "almost" because the TCEQ grant is not a tax rebate, and is thus federally taxable as miscellaneous income. I did this with my Oct 2018 PacHy purchase. It takes 2-3 months after you file the TCEQ papers to get your check. The paperwork was pretty minimal.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyma45 View Post
Agree with all the above - except that if you factor in the $7500 tax credit, a Pachy Limited is actually cheaper than a same-equipped Gas Limited. I've done the math every which way and even taking into account the 0% offers for the Gas versions as well as increased incentives for those, the Hybrid wins out.
You still can't get HID headlights in the Hybrid. Until the 2019 MY, you couldn't get power folding side mirrors, memory seats, Auto Advance n Return in the Hybrid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappy007 View Post
You still can't get HID headlights in the Hybrid. Until the 2019 MY, you couldn't get power folding side mirrors, memory seats, Auto Advance n Return in the Hybrid.
What is Auto Advance n Return?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
Old 03-19-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrltpmpl View Post
In Texas, you can get the $7500 Fed credit AND a Tx TCEQ grant for $2500. That's almost $10,000 off the drive-off price. I say "almost" because the TCEQ grant is not a tax rebate, and is thus federally taxable as miscellaneous income. I did this with my Oct 2018 PacHy purchase. It takes 2-3 months after you file the TCEQ papers to get your check. The paperwork was pretty minimal.
Yep it's a screaming deal for us in Texas. (Which is weird considering how oil-based this state is, vs electricity.) I just filed this week; am very nervous as there are only 116 rebates available as of this morning. It's supposed to last until May 31st or until 2000 rebates have been claimed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappy007 View Post
I wonder why they continue to piece-meal options to the Hybrid. My work fleet got a '17 Hybrid when they came out, fully optioned and I was shocked that there was no memory seats and Homelink. It took two model years for both of those to appear. Still no HIDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
What is Auto Advance n Return?
It's an easy access function available for memory seats - when you shut the car off, it slides the seats back automatically for easy exit. When you start it, it goes back to where you last had it. Really neat.

2019 Pacifica S Hybrid Limited - Brilliant Black, all options
2016 Dodge// Charger R/T Scat Pack - B5 Blue

Last edited by Johnnyma45; 03-19-2019 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in