does it matter which state you buy in ? - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1981c View Post
so you want me to pay for the car without looking at it ?

or to tell the dealer that i'm definitely getting the car without actually signing anything and spending a day driving to find out he decided to increase the price by $3,000 because oops he made a mistake when we previously discussed the price ...

i'm not sure what you're suggesting ?
Carl at Criswell was great to deal with. He gave me a quote through e-mail that I couldn’t match or beat locally. I had three dealerships flat out tell me that Carl’s quote was a good deal and that I should pursue it.

On last Tuesday I put a refundable $500 deposit down to hold the car they had in inventory that I wanted. Spoke with their finance guy, Thong, for all of five minutes on Wednesday. They overnighted the purchase paperwork. I bought a plane ticket to fly to MD. My wife and I signed the papers Thursday night—actually had been the time to read and consider everything at home, without any pressure. We finalized our loan with USAA that night.

Friday I flew out and finished the deal. They aren’t taking your money or getting your loan info until you’ve seen the van. They’re very straightforward. It was an easy, thoughtful process. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I may never buy another car locally, if I can get a better deal with a bit of travel and time. I’m very pleased with the whole thing.

I’d urge you to get in touch with Carl. If nothing else, he can give you a quote to help you negotiate with local dealers. Carl was fine with ordering anything that I might want. It just happens that they had something in stock that worked for me. Carl and the Criswell Chrysler dealership have my highest recommendation. Everyone I worked with or spoke with there was a real delight.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Cool! Picking up my Pacifica from Carl this Saturday! Factory ordered and still a couple grand below the best price I could get here in NJ! Worth the 240 mile drive to pick up with my trade-in 😄
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:55 PM

Garage
You guys must tell us the prices you're getting.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 PM

My out the door price was $48,103. I think my MSRP was $49,580. Sale price on the vehicle was about $45,200 + tax, title, and $300 MD processing fee. Those numbers are from memory.

Locally, when I could find a 2019, dealers wanted about $3k more. Very few 2019s in stock here. I was offered the same deal on a leftover 2018, but it had been on the lot a long time and doesn’t have the same features.

I tried to buy a 2018 from the Gilroy, CA dealer. What a giant waste of time that was. I couldn’t get them on the phone, let alone get them to follow up with simple things. Such an amazing contrast between them and Criswell.
stop-eject likes this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
I wouldn't buy a used car without driving it first, but why would you need to drive a brand new one? You had you test drives already, right? Ask how many miles are on the odometer to make sure that it had no extensive test drive history and you'll be good. I've never test driven the new cars I bought. Most of them were factory ordered, and one on the lot I bought out of state.

As for the $3000 price "mistake", franchised new car dealers are not that sleazy anymore. They will pressure you to buy "protection", "nitrogen fill" and so on, but you can (and should) say no to everything.
not a test drive but i like to see the car in person to get a feel for it. one time i was getting a VW Passat and i looked at one with beautiful brushed aluminum trim and the basterd dealer said my car would have trim that looks the same but when the car actually arrived it was a very ugly silver plastic trim and for 3 years of lease i kept telling myself every day i would never make the same mistake again ...

the car i have now ( 2018 Camry ) is actually the opposite - there are just the right all-weather mats everywhere and splash guards and protective pieces on the doors and everything is just perfect - but that's because i picked that car out on the lot unlike the Passat which was ordered sight unseen. I did not specify any options on the Camry at all - i got it just the way it already was on the parking lot - but it happened to be exactly right. Of course i went through entire Brooklyn, Queens and Long island and about 30 Camry Hybrid XLEs to get one that was right but it's better than kicking yourself for 3 years.

i was kicking myself with a 2015 C300 mercedes too - in that case it was a $40,000 car without backup camera ! ! ! it was also a test drive car ( which i actually test drove ) but in that case i got absurd deal and they said i was only getting the deal if i took that particular car so i did but i kept questioning that move for 3 years as well.

i mean would you order a bride out of a catalog ? that's how i feel about it. i want to feel comfortable about the decision.

Last edited by g1981c; 04-04-2019 at 01:55 AM.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Carl at Criswell was great to deal with. He gave me a quote through e-mail that I couldn’t match or beat locally. I had three dealerships flat out tell me that Carl’s quote was a good deal and that I should pursue it.

On last Tuesday I put a refundable $500 deposit down to hold the car they had in inventory that I wanted. Spoke with their finance guy, Thong, for all of five minutes on Wednesday. They overnighted the purchase paperwork. I bought a plane ticket to fly to MD. My wife and I signed the papers Thursday night—actually had been the time to read and consider everything at home, without any pressure. We finalized our loan with USAA that night.

Friday I flew out and finished the deal. They aren’t taking your money or getting your loan info until you’ve seen the van. They’re very straightforward. It was an easy, thoughtful process. I’d do it again in a heartbeat.

I may never buy another car locally, if I can get a better deal with a bit of travel and time. I’m very pleased with the whole thing.

I’d urge you to get in touch with Carl. If nothing else, he can give you a quote to help you negotiate with local dealers. Carl was fine with ordering anything that I might want. It just happens that they had something in stock that worked for me. Carl and the Criswell Chrysler dealership have my highest recommendation. Everyone I worked with or spoke with there was a real delight.
NO.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

there seems to be just one Pacifica Hybrid in all of USA with the color combination i like:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

but the deal is unimpressive compared to those VA deals ...

this black / mocha interior looks good in pics but i haven't seen it in person ...

i actually like this color combo even more:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

except that on this color the bumpers never match the rest of the body - you can even see it on pics.

but maybe i could get over this. i can just pretend it's a Tesla and they have that problem too.

Last edited by g1981c; 04-04-2019 at 05:29 AM.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Garage
If you want a car with a certain colors and options combination, chances are you'll need to order it. You can still visit a couple of dealers and and see all the features you want separately. Seeing a car is not a guarantee that you'll notice everything. In fact, it is exactly opposite. In the limited time you would probably miss that PacHy has no HID headlights and is missing half of the interior lights compared to the gas version. Combing through a sales brochure and comparing the trim levels gives a better idea of what to expect. Some things- like missing rear AC in Honda- are nearly impossible to catch without driving for a while or reading the forums. Test drives are good to get the overall feeling of the car, test the seats and check some specific features. I wanted to see how the ACC and the automatic parking work, test the ICE engagement under load and play with the entertainment system. After my ordered PacHy arrived I only checked the body fit and finish.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
My out the door price was $48,103. I think my MSRP was $49,580. Sale price on the vehicle was about $45,200 + tax, title, and $300 MD processing fee. Those numbers are from memory.

Locally, when I could find a 2019, dealers wanted about $3k more. Very few 2019s in stock here. I was offered the same deal on a leftover 2018, but it had been on the lot a long time and doesn’t have the same features.

I tried to buy a 2018 from the Gilroy, CA dealer. What a giant waste of time that was. I couldn’t get them on the phone, let alone get them to follow up with simple things. Such an amazing contrast between them and Criswell.
Oops didn't notice where exactly in the forum I was. I am getting a gasser. but for the record: OTD about 6K under MSRP.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
If you want a car with a certain colors and options combination, chances are you'll need to order it. You can still visit a couple of dealers and and see all the features you want separately. Seeing a car is not a guarantee that you'll notice everything. In fact, it is exactly opposite. In the limited time you would probably miss that PacHy has no HID headlights and is missing half of the interior lights compared to the gas version. Combing through a sales brochure and comparing the trim levels gives a better idea of what to expect. Some things- like missing rear AC in Honda- are nearly impossible to catch without driving for a while or reading the forums. Test drives are good to get the overall feeling of the car, test the seats and check some specific features. I wanted to see how the ACC and the automatic parking work, test the ICE engagement under load and play with the entertainment system. After my ordered PacHy arrived I only checked the body fit and finish.
wouldn't ordering pretty much mean forfeiting any dealer discounts ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page