does it matter which state you buy in ? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

does it matter which state you buy in ?

i will be registering in NJ and NJ dealers seem to take $2,000 to $3,000 off MSRP for Limited PacHy but i noticed a dealer in Virginia is taking $7,000 off MSRP ! ! !

what's going on ?

is that some kind of scam or is that a Virginia thing ?

is he pocketing the Tax incentive or something ?

it's a pretty big dealership and they have more than one PacHy with this discount ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 PM

Garage
Unless the VA cars are 2018s, the dealer quotes the price including exotic rebates you will never qualify for or something similar. Would be easier to tell with a link to the dealer.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:11 PM

More than a few people on this forum bought their Pacifica out of state at a dealer local to me in Ohio (Falls Motor City) because they could not find a deal as good locally. Some dealers do indeed advertise with discounts that only military members that just graduated college could possibly qualify for. Some dealers genuinely work on volume and truly advertise insane low prices that everyone qualifies for.

I bought my RAM used out of State in Virginia because I could not find a truck with the options I wanted locally, and the Virginia dealer (Koons) paid for a one way plane ticket out there up to $400.

Generally speaking, you are responsible for tax where you live, not where you buy. Most dealers know how to accommodate this, and will collect accordingly and pay your state directly. Many states also account for some form of tax reciprocity, and if tax was collected out of state, your local title bureau will likely only hold you liable for any local overage required if the tax collected and shown on the buyers agreement is less than your local rate. You may also have to pay a few bucks to get an out of state inspection of the VIN, which is something like a $3.50 required bit of paperwork here in Ohio.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus w/ Customer Preferred Package 25J - Built 11/2016
Advanced SafetyTec, Tire and Wheel Group, KeySense, 8.4 NAV, Wireless Charging Pad, Hands-Free Sliding Doors and Liftgate, 20-Speaker Harman Kardon Sound Group

2016 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Crew Cab, 4x4, Short Bed

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1981c View Post
i will be registering in NJ and NJ dealers seem to take $2,000 to $3,000 off MSRP for Limited PacHy but i noticed a dealer in Virginia is taking $7,000 off MSRP ! ! !

what's going on ?

is that some kind of scam or is that a Virginia thing ?

is he pocketing the Tax incentive or something ?

it's a pretty big dealership and they have more than one PacHy with this discount ...
Most likely they're including the federal $7500 tax credit, which isn't included when you purchase it. The credit is applied in the following year towards the federal tax owed.
If the dealership is including it then that's an indication that they're kinda scammy.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dirty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast, 37°, cafeteria had special on lasagna
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
Most likely they're including the federal $7500 tax credit, which isn't included when you purchase it. The credit is applied in the following year towards the federal tax owed.
If the dealership is including it then that's an indication that they're kinda scammy.
knowing dealers if i ask this on the phone they will lie about it and tell me to come over ... which is an entire day of driving.

they do this all the time - no matter what question you ask over the phone they say everything is great just come over - then when you do it's like oh i dunno who told you that you would have to speak to them.

anyway seems like it's more than 1 dealer as well.

can't post links yet - go to Autotrader and put in 20151 for zip code. within 25 mile radius they have four 2019 PacHy LIMITED for $40,900 and out of all 2019 PacHy Limited ( they have 18 of them in 25 mile radius ) they are on average about $6,000 off MSRP ( so a typical PacHy limited will be $42,000 with $48,000 msrp ).

maybe they're just over-stocked ? that's a lot of Pacifica Hybrids in a 25 mile radius ...

also of note i went to dealer's own website and couldn't find even one PacHy although he has several on AutoTrader ...
Frig likes this.

Last edited by g1981c; 04-01-2019 at 12:56 PM.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
they do this all the time - no matter what question you ask over the phone they say everything is great just come over - then when you do it's like oh i dunno who told you that you would have to speak to them.

anyway seems like it's more than 1 dealer as well. ...
And that person whom you spoke with will invariably be on leave or out of town that day when you visit the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frig likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
knowing dealers if i ask this on the phone they will lie about it and tell me to come over ... which is an entire day of driving.

anyway seems like it's more than 1 dealer as well.

can't post links yet - go to Autotrader and put in 20151 for zip code. within 25 mile radius they have four 2019 PacHy LIMITED for $40,900 and out of all 2019 PacHy Limited ( they have 18 of them in 25 mile radius ) they are on average about $6,000 off MSRP ( so a typical PacHy limited will be $42,000 with $48,000 msrp ).

maybe they're just over-stocked ? that's a lot of Pacifica Hybrids in a 25 mile radius ...

also of note i went to dealer's own website and couldn't find even one PacHy although he has several on AutoTrader ...
Their disclosure says they don't include the student and military rebates, and $6k off is not quite the Fed. tax credit.

I don't know the current state of PacHy pricing, I surely didn't get anywhere near that price year and half ago. At this point I would give them a call. Tell them that you will come down, but most of the paperworks should be done over email. Spend enough time getting familiar with the numbers, so they couldn't pull some unwanted changes. Keep in mind, VA dealers charge $800 "processing fee" not included in the quote. I think it is the highest in the country.
I've purchased out of state before, has zero issues. The dealer can calculate your state tax and apply for tags.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:06 AM

Only one of those at Koon’s has the AST package. I can’t imagine buying a Limited without that. It’s an incredible value for the $995 price of the option. Not having it will likely impact the resale value of the van quite a bit.

I bought a 2019 from Criswell Chrysler in MD on Friday. Great price—thousands better than I could get here in MN. Absolutely incredible service from the team there. Carl (salesman), Kevin (manager), and Thong (finance) took great care of me when something unexpected came up. I’ve never had a better car buying experience from beginning to end. Carl is active on the forum here, which is how I found them. More to come a bit later when I have time for a longer post.
Johnnyma45 likes this.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

yeah i have a 360 degree camera on my 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE and it is pretty sweet ...

however i highly doubt that 10 years from now when you're selling the van your $1,000 AST package will net you even $500 extra in resale value so i don't think that's a good reason to get it ...

i mean imagine if somebody paid $3,000 on a GPS option on a Mercedes 10 years ago ... he probably won't even get extra $500 for it selling the car today ...

latest technology is a poor investment ...

on that thought ... maybe i should just get a Honda just kidding LOL

that would be too boring ...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 AM

The technology will be so common in a few years that people will look at a vehicle without it the same way we’d look at a vehicle without cruise control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page