2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Any luck negotiating on 2018 Limited Hybrid?

114K views 294 replies 142 participants last post by  Vantastic 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum, although I have been reading your posts for months now! I am trying to negotiate a price on a 2018 Pacifica Limited Hybrid (that's on the lot). Has anyone had any luck whatsoever in getting any discount? I'm at MSRP + dealer holdback at this point. Thanks ahead for any input!

#2 ·
Aim for $4,000 off MSRP. That's the best I've heard of using straight-up negotiation. Definitely you're on the right track for negotiating one that's on the lot or an unsold order in transit. Also I've seen $4,000 off in a few different dealerships so far but those were short term sales.

#15 ·
$2500 off MSRP was in Iowa near the end of October. I tried to do a $3000 off MSRP deal with a local dealer in Kansas City, but they were unable to get a car in on dealer trade, so I'm still shopping. Hopefully some more inventory comes in and I can get a good deal by the end of November.

#5 ·
I got a local dealer down to 3,000 off Msrp with the promise to finance with them. Dealers started from anywhere from MSRP down to $2600 off. I had seven dealers working for my business within about 250 miles of my location. Luckily a local dealer agreed to the 3000 and other dealers bowed out.

#7 ·
I am also in California's Bay Area looking for 2018 Hybrid Limited.

With no options, MSRP is $46,090 (destination charge of $1,095 is included).

The best offer I received so far is $44,195, i.e. $1,895 below MSRP. It was made by James Povio at Stoneridge Chrysler. The address is 2700 Stoneridge Dr., Pleasanton, CA 94588. His e-mail is
jpovio@stoneridgecjd.dealerspace.com

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot! This indeed worked!

Just be aware that not all 2018 Hybrid models with $4K discount advertised on their web-site are indeed available. I spoke on the phone, confirmed availability, and on half way of driving they called me and told me that they "learned just a minute ago" that 2018 Hybrid Limited w/o sunroof that I wanted was already taken. I asked to call me when they would have another one available. They called 5 minutes later, and offered the same model but w/ sunroof. So the bottom line is that they are honoring the advertised price, but do not guarantee the availability until you actually come to the dealership and sign the contract, even if the car is still in transit. The processing went quite fast, so I highly recommend them.

#16 ·
Are these just dealers hitting a volume target? The line I've gotten in every conversation I've had is that they have no margin on this (probably not literally true, but surely less margin than gas models) and that since there are no FCA rebate incentives, they won't negotiate. The usual, "it kills me that I can't offer you a lower price".

#17 ·
Essentially yes. Because I didn't get a deal done before the end of the month, the dealers that still have one have said flat out they can't do the same deal they offered about 1 week ago. There are only 2 Limited Hybrids within 150 miles of me at this time so I'll wait for new stock and try again at the end of November. I had exactly one dealer quote me MSRP out of the 8 that I shopped back on October 25th. The rest came in below in varying amounts. I got the 3k off offer by promising to finance with the dealer, so that way they make some money on dealer reserve from the finance company. I'm in a position that I could refinance or pay it off so that allows me one extra card to get a better deal. The invoice price is just a few hundred or so below MSRP so they'll need to dip into holdback to make any profit on the sale itself. They can be more willing to do that at the end of the month if they are on the cusp of making a sales threshold. If the dealer thinks they will sell the car anyway without giving you a great deal in the beginning of the month, then they'll wait. The flip side is that there aren't many available so that's working against us. If the tax credit disappears they'll be loads of Pacifica Hybrids on the lots next year.

#21 · (Edited)
I am having 0 luck in central NC. Everyone is quoting MSRP. Maybe Chrysler is different (would be out 1st), but I have bought our last 6 cars via the "internet dept" at dealers, and while some will stick to MSRP, you can usually find several who work from invoice + $200 (or something like that).. for this car (if Edmunds is to be believed), the "invoice to MSRP" delta is much smaller than I am used to seeing. Edmunds says the price should be at least $1k below the invoice price. So far I can't find anyone who wants to make a quick/simple/but-not-big profit.

EDIT: I also see a consistent $500+ "admin fee" which I don't remember on previous cars.. is this a Chrysler thing?

EDIT2: for those of you talking about getting $2k or $3k under invoice, it would be helpful to know how much of that was incentives (there seem to be none right now unless you are military). Holdback is allegedly 3%.. call that roughly $1500.. so it's hard to see how one does better than that without incentives.

#22 · (Edited)
EDIT2: for those of you talking about getting $2k or $3k under invoice, it would be helpful to know how much of that was incentives (there seem to be none right now unless you are military). Holdback is allegedly 3%.. call that roughly $1500.. so it's hard to see how one does better than that without incentives.
When I bought my 2018 there were no incentives offered or even accepted other than a $500 military discount. Dealer marked it $4,000 off and I've seen quite a few more $4,000 off deals in California.

That $4,000 off dealer will ship (Robert John Cotter-Heslop at South County Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Fiat - see Pacifica Facebook page). The only way I think that they're making money is financing and volume incentives, but who knows for sure?

#25 ·
My experience, in advance of the planned pickup of my PacHy this coming Wednesday evening: I wanted to get a Limited, and there was literally one in stock on Long Island where I live, with all options other than the 20-speaker upgrade. I contacted the dealer and provided my Affiliate code (via my employer), which is supposed to provide a reduction of the MSRP, and the price I was given was about $1100 below MSRP. When I test drove this past Sunday, the dealer told me that the Affiliate code did not apply to the PacHy or the Hellcat (b/c they are rarer and not being discounted), but he still gave me the agreed-upon price. It's not a huge discount, but it's less than MSRP anyway.

Assuming everything goes well, I'll provide a more detailed report about my purchase, including identifying the dealer, once I take possession. {Jonathan}

#26 ·
For the last 4 vehicle purchases I've done since 2013, I never asked what a dealer will sell a car to me for, and I never make an offer. I research to find the lowest price a dealer will sell the vehicle within reasonable driving distance - 2-3 hours each way. For two purchases, I bought local when the dealer finally agreed to sell to me versus losing a deal. The other two purchases, including my current PacHy, I had to purchase from the distant dealer, mainly due to local dealers not having the vehicle in stock. I've used TrueCar a couple times, but that seems to not be the best route to the lowest price now. Even CarsDirect and Costco won't give you the best pricing anymore - at least where I live. What I did this time is look up individual dealer websites to find out who had PacHy's. I signed up for the dealer's "price alerts" to receive emails when prices change, but never really expected anything from it. I started receiving some "alerts" with pricing moving down, then back up. I finally received an email with price discounts of roughly 10% off msrp - which I thought was great considering no one else was discounting that much. Even my local dealer told me they don't how "x" dealer could sell that low as there were no incentives at all. I just print it off, and hand it to them. It's easy from there. When TrueCar was relatively new it was great. Then dealer caught on and TrueCar pricing is really no better now than CarsDirect or Costco, or anything else. I guess you have figure out the game changes and go with the flow.

#29 ·
My guess is if they ramp up production of 2018's PacHy's, they'll start offering some incentives, especially if the fed gov't decides to reduce/eliminate tax credits.

Another thing I keep in mind when dealing is I want the dealer to make a profit. I can't stand to see posts where someone refers to dealers as 'stealerships'. Most times it's not the dealer, but buyers being their own worst enemy. How would that buyer like if their boss came up to them and said "I'm paying you too much, so only min wage for you today, and by the way, let me take up all your time arguing over your merits, but you still have to get all your work done today"? I never look to 'steal' or force a dealer into selling below their final cost (unless they hand it to me) because their in business to make money. Plus the sales staff need to make a commission - which they wholeheartedly deserve! Granted, dealer and sales staff don't make much on new vehicle sales. Dealers make more off used car sales and their service dept's, and sales staff typically earn a lot more commission selling used cars. Given that, I try to be respectful of their time and not hold up my sales person from having the time to make another sale. In fact once the price is agreed to, I encourage them to go out there and get another deal in process. Except for handling final details like getting the vehicle prepped for delivery, and handing me the keys at the end, etc, there's a lot of time they don't need to hang around doing nothing until I leave.

Reactions: seo68
#30 ·
I ended up going with SouthCounty's 4k offer on a hybrid limited. I had to pay an extra point on financing, but it's not much of a difference based on amount / term and still makes more sense the paying cash. I was a little wary of driving down there, but they honored the website price with no issues. Easy transaction so far. The vehicle I bought is in-transit with expected delivery in a few weeks so I took on some risk by signing the agreement ahead of delivery.

#31 ·
First post, long time lurker.

My wife and I have been shopping these vans since last spring. We can't find what we want and so we have decided to order one. We want an upper trim package (either '17 or '18) in red or blue with out a sunroof. Happy to have a 17" wheels.

Both of the local dealers I have been talking are just quoting me the sticker price of $44,995 and $1095 for shipping (we are in the Pacific NW).

I will bug a couple more local dealers but I am rather disappointed that for me custom ordering a vehicle from them and they can't do any better.

Chris

#37 ·
Almost all of the hybrid limited's I found had the sunroof and 18" wheels, so it was 44.5 before taxes. Not sure the wheel upgrade is worth $800, oh well. They mentioned I could custom order and they would still give the discount; however, it wouldn't have arrived before end of year and I wanted to lock in the tax credit.

#38 ·
Yep I spoke to them today for about an hour. They said the same to me I would have to order one and they would honor the 4k off. Actually the guy was cool as **** and enjoyed the conversation more than I have with anyone else.

Some comments he made, that i need help confirming.

He said there is a $80.00 document fee, otherwise I'm not looking at any additional fees -just the tag price, that fee and any taxes due.
He also said in California you can't leave the lot unless you pay taxes, I live in another state and we can either pay at the dealer or at the time of tagging (not to be confused with temp tags). He said if I tow the vehicle home or have it shipped that is the only way in CA i can avoid that taxes. Can anyone confirm this? He suggested I pay taxes, i'll get a tax credit in my state and someone will cut me a check for the difference since CA is higher tax rate than KS. I'm not really wanting to go through this pain. Can anyone confirm this scenario or has any experience buying a CA car out of state?

#42 ·
So last Saturday, I got an email from one of the local Chrysler dealers we had been bugging about a hybrid. None seemed to be able to get what we wanted so we were getting very close to ordering a upper trim package, (’17 or ’18) in red without a sunroof.

The email said that some else had given up on waiting for a custom ordered unit. It was red, ’17 in the Platinum package. It did have a sunroof but they agreed to take $2k off the MSRP. They also waved the $399 ‘paint conditioning coating’… So we were a bit over $46k out the door with title, plates and tags for 4 years. (Oregon has no sale tax.)

I wish I could have haggled more but they had two other couples in line behind us interested in it. One couple test drove it while we were talking price. My wife was coming unglued as she wanted it bad and so we told the sales guy to go get the keys from them as we would take it. Dick's Country Dodge in Hillsboro seemed to do pretty well on this transaction.

Chris

#43 ·
Well placed our order with south county, 2018 hybrid limited in cordovan with mocha interior, no options otherwise. We opted to drive it home vs car carrier, going to make a mini vacation out of it. So far everything has worked out great with Lalo. Cant wait!

#47 ·
I recently purchased one from South County. I worked with Ben and Joshua.

You never know what "in transit" means. We agreed on one, and when I drove to the dealership, Ben called me and said he "just learned" that one I wanted was already sold. I then drove back home, he called me again and said they have another one, not exactly what I wanted, but close. I agreed. After I bought it, it was still shown on their web-site, but the next day it disappeared. So it seems "in transit" means that it was not sold as of yesterday.

I waited only 17 days for the car to arrive to the dealership. It was quite fast and easy working with them.

#50 ·
In Transit availability

I think Chrysler's New Inventory vehicle search lags by 3-4 days. For us, we went to the dealer a 2nd time to look at the interiors and colors but didn't like the colors+options combo at the dealer. He found one in transit to another dealer and we bought it. It still showed in Chrysler's vehicle search for 4 more days and then disappeared while still "In transit" as we had bought it. Also, for new vehicles in transit, I'm seeing the build date (4 digit number below SL in the bottom left of the Window Sticker) come up 3-4 days after the physical build date.

So, I do think some "In transit" vehicles are sold and will disappear from the vehicle search in 3-4 days.

You never know what "in transit" means. We agreed on one, and when I drove to the dealership, Ben called me and said he "just learned" that one I wanted was already sold. I then drove back home, he called me again and said they have another one, not exactly what I wanted, but close. I agreed. After I bought it, it was still shown on their web-site, but the next day it disappeared. So it seems "in transit" means that it was not sold as of yesterday.

I waited only 17 days for the car to arrive to the dealership. It was quite fast and easy working with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.