Metal Popping / Clunk over bumps... - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 45
Metal Popping / Clunk over bumps...

I've been searching and can't find a similar issue on the forums, but maybe I'm using the wrong descriptors...

Most of the time when going over bumps, the van make a popping noise, or a clunk. It's hard to describe. It is not a rattle or metal hitting metal. It is more like the popping noise you can get pushing on a curved metal lid or something similar. The dealership said it was common to newer minivans that use magnesium for light-weighting, but I don't see anything like that online.

Let me know if you have the same issue - or if their is a post already on this somewhere.

Thanks!
AstroEng is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroEng View Post
I've been searching and can't find a similar issue on the forums, but maybe I'm using the wrong descriptors...

Most of the time when going over bumps, the van make a popping noise, or a clunk. It's hard to describe. It is not a rattle or metal hitting metal. It is more like the popping noise you can get pushing on a curved metal lid or something similar. The dealership said it was common to newer minivans that use magnesium for light-weighting, but I don't see anything like that online.

Let me know if you have the same issue - or if their is a post already on this somewhere.

Thanks!
Hi AstroEng,

I'm not familiar with this particular type of noise and whether it is normal, but the next time you're scheduled at the dealership for a service visit, let us know and we'd be happy to reach out to the dealership to get more information.

Kori
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
gory likes this.
ChryslerCares is online now  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:27 AM
504
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5
Same here

I also have the same loud clunk noise in my 2017. it only happens when going over speed bump at very slow speed. it only seems to happen on the drivers side. I had the same issue with 2008 Town and Country. I was told then that it was typical and normal of MacPherson Struts.
Doesn't bother me since it happens rarely.
504 is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Ohio
Posts: 45
For me, it happens on various bumps at pretty much any speed. From what I've read on struts, it sounds unlikely... It worries me that I'm not seeing this issue with anyone but 504.

I need to do the inverter recall repair. I'll bring it up to the dealer then...
AstroEng is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroEng View Post
For me, it happens on various bumps at pretty much any speed. From what I've read on struts, it sounds unlikely... It worries me that I'm not seeing this issue with anyone but 504.

I need to do the inverter recall repair. I'll bring it up to the dealer then...
Hi AstroEng,

We're sorry to hear about this! If you decide to visit a certified dealership for further diagnosis, I'd be happy to offer assistance. Please send us a private message with you VIN.

Stephanie
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
ChryslerCares is online now  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 08:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 10
Good morning AstroEng!

I have heard a noise similar to what you are describing. It sounds like a stone being thrown up into a metal wheel well (although I am certain this is not the cause of the sound.) For me, it has only happened randomly and usually at low speed so I haven't been able to determine what is causing it. Interesting thread though!
IanR is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:46 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1
Mine is doing the same thing in the front driver side wheel area. At first I thought that maybe the pressure sensor in the front wheel was causing it, but I am not sure. Would the front suspension be covered under the drive train warranty?
wkbeard is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Has anyone been successful in figuring out what is causing this popping noise? My wife and I just bought a 2018 Pacifica and with less than 100 miles and the first day of owning it, we have been experiencing this exact noise every time we turn into our driveway and also intermittently on turns. It is mainly happening on the passenger side though. We love the van otherwise, but aren't too happy about issues from day one.
kbaker41 is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaker41 View Post
Has anyone been successful in figuring out what is causing this popping noise? My wife and I just bought a 2018 Pacifica and with less than 100 miles and the first day of owning it, we have been experiencing this exact noise every time we turn into our driveway and also intermittently on turns. It is mainly happening on the passenger side though. We love the van otherwise, but aren't too happy about issues from day one.
Hi kbaker41,

We are terribly sorry to hear that you have a concern with your new Pacifica. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? Please send us a PM with your VIN and dealer so that we can provide additional assistance while your vehicle is in service.

Darlene
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
ChryslerCares is online now  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 11:15 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerCares View Post
Hi kbaker41,

We are terribly sorry to hear that you have a concern with your new Pacifica. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? Please send us a PM with your VIN and dealer so that we can provide additional assistance while your vehicle is in service.

Darlene
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
Thanks Darlene for the reply. We have a scheduled service to look at this issue this Friday at 9:20 am.

We are taking it to Park Chrysler Jeep in Burnsville, MN.
1408 HIGHWAY 13 BURNSVILLE, MN 55337
SALES: (952) 373-4666
SERVICE: (952) 373-4564


We really appreciate your concern and hopefully can make quick work of getting this fixed.

Last edited by kbaker41; 05-30-2018 at 03:14 PM.
kbaker41 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome