2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid 12 days ago and went to charge on a level 2 Volta charge station and received the “Service Charging System” error. This is super un-nerving on a brand new car. This is my first Chrysler after having Toyota’s for the last 15 years and it is making me doubt my purchase and switch. Is this an ongoing issue?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I purchased a new 2018 Pacifica Hybrid 12 days ago and went to charge on a level 2 Volta charge station and received the “Service Charging System” error. This is super un-nerving on a brand new car. This is my first Chrysler after having Toyota’s for the last 15 years and it is making me doubt my purchase and switch. Is this an ongoing issue?
Most likely a problem with the charging station itself and not the car. Too many reports like this from other brands as well and not isolated to the Pacifica only.

Try using the factory charger and see if the problem goes away. If so, you will know it is a problem with the volta charger.:wink2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Volta is a charge station at the local upscale mall and I have charged on it many times. It is not a home charger.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The Volta is a charge station at the local upscale mall and I have charged on it many times. It is not a home charger.
Many times meaning your previous car or the PacHy?

The PacHy may be picky about what EVSE you use so try different ones first before bringing it in. I know the Clarity had a problem too and solved it through a software update but I don't think the PacHy has one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many times meaning your previous car or the PacHy?

The PacHy may be picky about what EVSE you use so try different ones first before bringing it in. I know the Clarity had a problem too and solved it through a software update but I don't think the PacHy has one.
I have charged on this same public Volta charge station with the PacHy at least 4 other times now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now 3 days in the shop and the only update is that the vehicle has some sort of issue that is not allowing the charging system to operate correctly. That is exactly what I told them when I dropped off the vehicle. To say I am more than disappointed in my first Chrysler experience is an understatement.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Now 3 days in the shop and the only update is that the vehicle has some sort of issue that is not allowing the charging system to operate correctly. That is exactly what I told them when I dropped off the vehicle. To say I am more than disappointed in my first Chrysler experience is an understatement.
They may not have even looked at it yet. You posted on monday, when did you drop it off?

So you charged it 5+ times at the same charger at the mall (upscale) in 12 days, and it didn't work the last time? What about the suggestion by @ThisSuckersElectrical to try the supplied level 1 charger, what did that do? What about another charger somewhere else?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Yeah I’ve heard lots of stories on everything charging community about the luck of the draw on charging stations . I’ve charged at many a ChargePoint system that some connections worked and some didn’t . I think it’s funny how people just assume there’s a charging station and it’ll work . The unit could be offline , head connection not perfect, bad cable or software . Did you try another charging station at that upscale mall ... I had issue with one ChargePoint station and was charging then I got notification about stopped . I went out rescanned my ChargePoint app changed the head and poof all was good . Not all chargers and charging stations are bullet proof, just saying .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I’ve heard lots of stories on everything charging community about the luck of the draw on charging stations . I’ve charged at many a ChargePoint system that some connections worked and some didn’t . I think it’s funny how people just assume there’s a charging station and it’ll work . The unit could be offline , head connection not perfect, bad cable or software . Did you try another charging station at that upscale mall ... I had issue with one ChargePoint station and was charging then I got notification about stopped . I went out rescanned my ChargePoint app changed the head and poof all was good . Not all chargers and charging stations are bullet proof, just saying .
When you had issues with chargepoint stations, did it throw the same error “service charging system” and have a check engine light?

The dealer says it is not taking a charge there as well, and they have my 110 charger, so I was not able to test before taking it to them. The car went in to service on Monday and on Tuesday they said a tech was assigned and working on it. Today no diagnosis.

·
Registered
540 Posts
That is a good point to remember. Public stations are not always well maintained and they get abused a lot by the people that use them. It reminds me of a free EVSE I used in a nearby town. I pulled up, plugged in and then got some sort of error message. After some time I finally figured out that a microswitch in the connector was not engaging correctly. I folded up a small piece of paper to use as a shim and shoved it in there and voila! The EVSE worked fine and I charged my van.

·
Registered
712 Posts
When you had issues with chargepoint stations, did it throw the same error “service charging system” and have a check engine light?

The dealer says it is not taking a charge there as well, and they have my 110 charger, so I was not able to test before taking it to them. The car went in to service on Monday and on Tuesday they said a tech was assigned and working on it. Today no diagnosis.
Aha, don't think you mentioned the check engine light. Was it running fine otherwise? Before the mall and when dropping it off at service? Do you know if there's any check engine codes to read? That's the first thing the tech would probably do before anything else. Ask them.

By the way when they said it's not taking a charge, there's a good chance they probably hadn't even looked at it yet. I'm curious to see if the level 1 charger works. Maybe show up and ask that they plug it in? It's also a good chance to see if they're actively working on it or if it's been sitting in their back lot for 3 days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on car:

So I got it back after a week being in the shop. They did some scans and could not really find anything. They said there may have been a bad cell on the 12v battery and replaced that, as well as checking every ground and power on the car. They thought that maybe loosening and tightening all connections could have corrected the issue. I hope so, but no so sure. So far it has been charging fine on 110 at home and 240 at public charging stations.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I plugged my van in a public clipper creek charger then got service charging system error with a check engine light on. I can still charge it with a difference charger e.g. from a private chargepoint . But the check engine light was annoying. I scheduled an appointment with dealer. But interestingly, the engine light was gone after a week. The only special thing that I recall to do with the disappearing light was that I plugged a charger in when I kept the driver door open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts