2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know, if you charge 12 hours on 120V or you charge 2 hrs on 240V, will the charge rate be higher on 120V charging as it is charging for 12 hours. Refreshing my electrical theories. if the cost is lower on 240V then spending $1500 to install the charger may be worth it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The L2 (240v) charging is generally slightly more efficient than L1 (120v), but not to justify spending $1500. If the overnight charging works for you and you don't envision other EVs in the future you are better off with the L1 charger.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Understand but the question is does charging for 12 hours, if it is $1 per hr. cost $12 and charging for 2 hrs is also $1/hr and costs $2. That would make it interesting as we get more efficiency a well as less cost and there could be a quick ROI.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pretty sure it isn't the amount of time it's charging for, but the amount of juice required to charge the battery. The amount of juice needed to charge the battery will be the same at either 240 or 110 (the battery in the car doesn't change). The small difference stop-eject wrote about would be that 240v is potentially a slightly more efficient transfer method than 110v - but that difference is negligible against the cost to install a 240V station if your only reason for doing so is to try and save money charging and the overnight time-frame works for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't forget, you could use 240 Volt/16 amp with current charger that is provided with hybrid and cut down to 4.5 hours full chage. It worked our really well for me. I do not need to spend $1500 and only spend $30 for a converter. You can connect to your Dryer plug-in at your home which is 240 Volt.

CM

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't forget, you could use 240 Volt/16 amp with current charger that is provided with hybrid and cut down to 4.5 hours full chage. It worked our really well for me. I do not need to spend $1500 and only spend $30 for a converter. You can connect to your Dryer plug-in at your home which is 240 Volt.

CM
I may look into this, as we are doing some work in the basement and may take the opportunity to run a 240V line to the garage before things get buttoned up.

But didn't want to necessarily jump into a whole charging station yet.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I may look into this, as we are doing some work in the basement and may take the opportunity to run a 240V line to the garage before things get buttoned up.

But didn't want to necessarily jump into a whole charging station yet.
In this post:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/401-electronics/26714-240v-charging-cable.html#post354642

I wrote up my process. I added a breaker, wired an outlet, and built an adapter cable. In that same thread you can read about adapter cables that are available for purchase. My opinion is that it was easy and safe for me and cut my charging time by more than half. I would not want to advise someone else that is not familiar with basic wiring to do so, but if you have a 240 outlet and purchase a cable, you are there with minimal expense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts