2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A week ago my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid was driven on a long trip, then parked at home overnight plugged in to its usual 240v charger. In the morning it was totally dead, checked 12v battery and it was down to 5v. Wondered if we had left a light on or something, but didn't notice anything. Jumped it and it started right up, hybrid battery was 98%, 12v battery was being charged by the system at 14.3v, check engine light was on. Let it run for a while to charge up the 12v battery.

Next morning, totally dead again. Put a 12v Battery Minder charger on it to charge back up 12v battery, but it didn't want to fully charge, seemed like there was a draw on the 12v battery. Took off the charger and the voltage seemed to be dropping over the course of the day. Then I walked by at one point and heard two noises coming from under the hood; a higher pitched whir (not sure if it was a fan or an electronic noise) and intermittently a series of clicks, like a contactor or relay engaging and disengaging, both coming from near the motor. See video with sound on. Car was switched off, no accessories on at all. 12v battery was being discharged by whatever was going on under the hood. Hybrid battery was maintaining its charge.

Finally I had to disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v battery to prevent it from being ruined by being discharged repeatedly. Fully charged up the 12v battery with Battery Minder charger. Took vehicle to the dealer. They tested the 12v battery and said it was good. Check engine codes were all for low voltage, they cleared those. They did not witness the noises coming form under the hood while they worked on it. They did a couple of software updates that were due. They called me and said they hoped that would take care of it. They put it on the 240v Hybrid charger and it sat over the weekend waiting for me to pick it up on Monday.

When I arrived on Monday it was totally dead again. So now they are trying to figure it out again!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Is your 2018 PacHy still on the original 12V battery?
The Pacifica Hybrid is known to do strange things when the 12v battery is dying.
It has been the experience of many of those here on the forum that many times dealer service will "test" 12V batteries and declare them good, when they are actually defective. Then the service dept. spins their wheels and pulls their hair out trying to figure why the van is behaving abnormally. The PacHy needs a solid 12V battery to operate correctly, or you will get all sorts of weird behavior and errors.
Given that you have a 2018, you should already be replacing this battery anyway, since it is 3-4 years old, and is near end of life (if not there already.)
Not saying this is your problem or will resolve your issues, but you have nothing to lose anyway? Best wishes to you! Hope they figure it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your 2018 PacHy still on the original 12V battery?
The Pacifica Hybrid is known to do strange things when the 12v battery is dying.
It has been the experience of many of those here on the forum that many times dealer service will "test" 12V batteries and call them good when they are actually defective. The PacHy needs a solid 12V battery to operate correctly, or you will get all sorts of weird behavior and errors.
Given that you have a 2018, you should already be thinking about replacing this battery anyway, since it is 3-4 years old.
Not saying it will resolve your issues, but you have nothing to lose anyway? Best wishes to you!
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, it's the original battery. Today the dealer service dept. said they tested the 12v battery again with a "different tester" and found it to be defective. OK . . . So they are replacing the battery and we will see if that solves the problem.
Is there consensus on whether these MOPAR 12v AGM batteries are good or if another brand is better?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
Yes, it's the original battery. Today the dealer service dept. said they tested the 12v battery again with a "different tester" and found it to be defective. OK . . . So they are replacing the battery and we will see if that solves the problem.
Is there consensus on whether these MOPAR 12v AGM batteries are good or if another brand is better?
If it's under warranty, get the MOPAR battery, as it's free. If you have to pay for it, there are aftermarket batteries that are just as good if not better, yet cost less. Look for an "H6" group AGM battery.
My personal rule is that my auto 12v batteries get changed at 36 months maximum, even if they seem to be working well. No need to invite breakdowns for such a completely preventable reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the US, there's actually only like 3 actual manufacturers, and everyone just puts their stickers on the outside. I tend to go with Costco (which uses Interstate) for the extra warranty time should there actually be an issue, but I've never had issues from any autostore. It usually tends to be the closest auto store that has whatever battery is needed in stock and isn't the low end model. Just check the manufacturer date when purchasing - you don't want something that's been sitting on a shelf for more than a few months because they do age.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A week ago my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid was driven on a long trip, then parked at home overnight plugged in to its usual 240v charger. In the morning it was totally dead, checked 12v battery and it was down to 5v. Wondered if we had left a light on or something, but didn't notice anything. Jumped it and it started right up, hybrid battery was 98%, 12v battery was being charged by the system at 14.3v, check engine light was on. Let it run for a while to charge up the 12v battery.

Next morning, totally dead again. Put a 12v Battery Minder charger on it to charge back up 12v battery, but it didn't want to fully charge, seemed like there was a draw on the 12v battery. Took off the charger and the voltage seemed to be dropping over the course of the day. Then I walked by at one point and heard two noises coming from under the hood; a higher pitched whir (not sure if it was a fan or an electronic noise) and intermittently a series of clicks, like a contactor or relay engaging and disengaging, both coming from near the motor. See video with sound on. Car was switched off, no accessories on at all. 12v battery was being discharged by whatever was going on under the hood. Hybrid battery was maintaining its charge.

Finally I had to disconnect the negative terminal of the 12v battery to prevent it from being ruined by being discharged repeatedly. Fully charged up the 12v battery with Battery Minder charger. Took vehicle to the dealer. They tested the 12v battery and said it was good. Check engine codes were all for low voltage, they cleared those. They did not witness the noises coming form under the hood while they worked on it. They did a couple of software updates that were due. They called me and said they hoped that would take care of it. They put it on the 240v Hybrid charger and it sat over the weekend waiting for me to pick it up on Monday.

When I arrived on Monday it was totally dead again. So now they are trying to figure it out again!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I've got the '18 gas and pretty much know for a fact that the hybrid also needs nearly fully charged batteries or else both start getting whacky electrically. There seems to be no forgiveness if your battery even has Half-Life left, it's greedy and wants all the juice all the time. Go to Walmart and get their Ever Start H6 AGM only. I've had a couple in the past different vehicles last 6 to 7+ years easily they make a "great battery" believe it or not AND its the cheapest at $154. Even on my gas I have a 1 amp trickle charger with a pigtail looped by the wiper that I easily plug in every night like a hybrid just to keep it full time charged. My van production was early '18 and still on the original battery and in Vegas 110 degrees and all is fine..Good luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is the sound you hear after just taking your seat on an A320 while other passengers mess with the overhead bins.

You're welcome.

Reactions: Benjamin

·
Super Moderator
982 Posts
This is the sound you hear after just taking your seat on an A320 while other passengers mess with the overhead bins.

You're welcome.
Actually that noise is the power transfer unit. The electric hydraulic pump on the yellow system powers the yellow hydraulic system with engines off. The ptu is distributing and maintaining 3000 psi on the yellow and green hydraulic system. Often called the barking dog as it pumps to maintain hydraulic pressure. It does a self test after engine 1 start up on taxi out or on taxi in after engine 2 is shut down. It's normally inhibited on the ground otherwise.🤓

1 - 11 of 11 Posts