2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a month since our pachy is parked in the garage as we stayed home to help flatten the curve and fight covid. 0 miles.

Does pachy monitor the 12v battery soc and automatically wake up to charge the 12v battery using the hv battery, or do I need to turn it on once in a while to keep it charged?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yes. But it doesnt happen in real time, the vehicle wakes after several weeks (21days) and if the SOC Is low it will charge the 12v from the HV pack. It can completely discharge before this event if there is a problem.

First paragraph -page 486, 2018 Hybrid OM rev 2

·
Registered
1 Posts
Caveat - IF you have something plugged into the 12v always-on lighter socket that happens to draw-down the 12v system faster than 21 days...you're gonna be stuck needing a 12v jump. Just happened to me with the van plugged in, sitting in the garage for 3 weeks. I left a 2-way radio plugged in to the 12v accessory socket and the radio was 'on'. After connecting a jump pack to the posts under the hood, the car did 'start' (the HV battery & DC drive motors came online). I drove around town for 30 mins and the 12v system seemed to recover. Two odd bits: the jump start or the dead 12v system triggered an engine warning light and the cruise control system wouldn't activate. I left the van plugged in to its level-2 charger overnight and all was fine the next day. Bottom line - always unplug DC accessories when you plan to leave the vehicle for weeks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our pachy sat in the garage for several weeks plugged into the L2 charger. The 12v battery appears to be completely dead - no lights when doors are open, no ability to start. I am able to jump it and get it running, but the 12v battery doesn't seem to charge when we drive, so I assume it needs to be replaced. I've also noticed that the backup camera is no longer available - maybe a setting gets reset that removes that feature? Any ideas how to get that reenabled if I replace the battery?

·
Registered
766 Posts
When I you put in reverse is it just blank . I’m curious , how long did you leave the level 2 charger 🔌 plug in for ? . My Pacifica saT for 3 months and started first time I pushed button . Was anything plugged in inside ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is no change to the display when we put it in reverse, and the camera, which was previously available in the apps portion of the screen, is no longer available. I believe there may be other features that are also missing, but we didn't use them so I'm fuzzy on what was there.

It was plugged into the L2 charger, and wasn't started, for something like 4-6 weeks. There was nothing plugged in inside the car.

It doesn't seem like the 12V battery is meant to be user-serviceable. The compartment in the rear where it's installed doesn't seem easy to open. Does anyone know how to get the panel off without breaking anything?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Our pachy sat in the garage for several weeks plugged into the L2 charger. The 12v battery appears to be completely dead - no lights when doors are open, no ability to start. I am able to jump it and get it running, but the 12v battery doesn't seem to charge when we drive, so I assume it needs to be replaced. I've also noticed that the backup camera is no longer available - maybe a setting gets reset that removes that feature? Any ideas how to get that reenabled if I replace the battery?
I would put a smart charger on the 12v battery overnight. I had my 12v battery run down once and it took longer than you would normally expect for it to charge up while driving the car. Never had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Well unless the level 2 charger was was not on a timer was it drawing power from the battery . Do you have a charger schedule set in from the van ? Curios , why would you leave the charger plugged into van for that long ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well unless the level 2 charger was was not on a timer was it drawing power from the battery . Do you have a charger schedule set in from the van ? Curios , why would you leave the charger plugged into van for that long ?
It was not on a schedule. We habitually plug it in overnight and drive the next day, and it just slipped my mind while we were adjusting to shelter in place. I guess the L2 charger being plugged in drained the 12V completely. I have ordered a trickle charger and will see if that helps. With a trickle charger, do you just attach to the terminals under the hood that are otherwise used for jumpstarts?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It was not on a schedule. We habitually plug it in overnight and drive the next day, and it just slipped my mind while we were adjusting to shelter in place. I guess the L2 charger being plugged in drained the 12V completely. I have ordered a trickle charger and will see if that helps. With a trickle charger, do you just attach to the terminals under the hood that are otherwise used for jumpstarts?
When the EVSE is plugged in and the vehicle is actively charging the HV Battery, the 12v battery is also charged. Once the HV charge process is complete the vehicle goes to sleep completely.. this means that the OBCM is shut down, the 12v battery is no longer being charged and the EVSE remains idle waiting.

At this point, if you wake the vehicle and the HV battery is fully charged, the OBCM (via the EVSE) does NOT supply power to the vehicle until the HV battery has discharged some and can accept a top-up - 100% of the power used to wake and startup the vehicle is onboard vehicle storage.. beginning with the 12v supply - 12v is required to start the computers, test the HV safety circuits, enable the contactors (switching the HV power supply on) for the APM to begin carrying the 12v load and maintain the 12v battery much like an alternator would in a conventional vehicle.

This happens for any reason the vehicle has been woken up, everytime you hear the clunking of the contactors that is what is happening in the background.. should the HV battery be low enough to continue charging the process will resume - same for the 12v battery. The design should offer plenty of time for the battery to remain almost full under most conditions with the exception of extensive parked vehicle use (when not in Run).

So for long term storage, plugged-in on an EVSE, it is still very possible to have a weak/damaged 12v or a draw on the 12v supply that drains the battery flat causing a no start because the next scheduled auto-wake cycle is the 21day check-up. If the car wont wake it wont restart charging or attempt to maintain the 12v battery. And once total discharged it has a 50/50 chance it needs the faults cleared anyway to allow it to power up the HV system. Now every sucessful 21day wake and charge will use some HV supply, and once that runs out both batteries will take damage.. for this reason some manufacturers recomend leave the EVSE connected for long term storage so that when needed, the HV battery gets topped up too.

So it needs to be determined if your van had a compromised 12v battery (lot/transit damage), a draw or if its just a defect internal to the 12v battery like a dead cell or something. Historically, it all goes away with a 12v battery replacement, and it is presumed the dealers total discharge these one the lots due to negligence.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I’ve just never heard of anybody leaving it plugged in for a long term than a full charger. If you set up a schedule it starts and stops the charge from the wall charger . Periodically the van will wake up during long term non usage . The possibility of super short trips and extended plug in just diminished the battery entirely

1 - 14 of 14 Posts