2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 2020 Pacifica Hybrid and using Level 1/120V charging overnight. Works great for us.

I am considering replacing our 2nd car with another PHEV and also using 120V overnight charging, but reading potential concerns about needing a "dedicated branch circuit" for 120V with charging PHEVs.

Any ideas of charging 2 PHEVs at the same time overnight in the same circuit? Any concerns? Any solutions?

·
Registered
2020 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
25 Posts
I would recommend looking into a Model 3 or Y. EV is a step up from PHEV.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I would also recommend looking into Tesla quality as well as knowing that when you buy a Tesla they own the electronics of the vehicle and you don’t . A dedicated circuit for charging is the way to go , but I’d also go way of a level2 charger . The benefits of level 2 is numerous and especially if your going to have 2 vehicles to charge . I looked into a model x long range and only way it pays dividends for me is free supercharging . The flow rate on a level 2 charger , depending on its circuit , is about 15-17 miles per hour . And free supercharging aside I’d have to keep it for 10 yrs to get the money back out of it . I’ve owned the Pacifica for almost three years and went to trade in in a 21 Pacifica and the trade in price to new one is minimal . So driving a vehicle for almost 3 yrs , and many a trips over Canada and USA, has made cost of ownership next to mill . Considering the size and mileage and cost it can’t be beat . Happy motoring and New Years .

·
Registered
359 Posts
If charging at Level 1 each vehicle should be on its own circuit dedicated and wired for 20 Amps. You cannot charge two vehicles at same time on one circuit without tripping the breaker. I have also heard the users note the outlet getting warm particularly with old outlets. I would upgrade and get two circuits with new outlets to be safe.

·
Registered
354 Posts
For garage installation with multiple EVs I'd recommend installing a Subpanel.

You can put in a 240V 100A or 125A subpanel from your house to your garage that will have 6-8 breaker slots. 4 breaker slots will get occupied by your EV chargers, leaving 2 for whatever else.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just picked up a 2020 Pacifica Hybrid and using Level 1/120V charging overnight. Works great for us.

I am considering replacing our 2nd car with another PHEV and also using 120V overnight charging, but reading potential concerns about needing a "dedicated branch circuit" for 120V with charging PHEVs.

Any ideas of charging 2 PHEVs at the same time overnight in the same circuit? Any concerns? Any solutions?
You won't be able to charge both at the same time on the same circuit. The only solution is to get a 240V outlet and a Level 2 EVSE. It only takes 2 hours to fully charge my PacHy with a 30A Level 2 EVSE.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
1,462 Posts
If it’s a dedicated circuit and a level 2 and a phev he’s just need one charger 2.5 hrs to charge is a nothing
OP mentions charging overnight. Don't think they want to get up at 2 am to switch the charging cable to the second vehicle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments and insight! Super helpful! Level 2 is probably the right direction.

We are barely driving the 2nd car at the moment with all the COVID craziness, which means less urgency for replacing it.

It is tough for me to consider Tesla, even with the technology and full EV, because of the premium price. It's not fully out, but I'm considering a Honda Clarity...advertised 47 miles per charge and a few years old one with low mileage can be @ $20k and less.

Thanks again and happy charging!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've stated my opinion on other discussions already: a "full" EV only makes (economic) sense if you're going to drive it a lot. Otherwise you pay for a huge battery that you never use, so even if the cost per mile is lower running on electricity, you'll never gain back the purchase price differential.

For a car that mostly runs in town, a PHEV is perfect. But for a second/backup vehicle, really the economically optimal decision is probably going to be a gasser.

·
Registered
5 Posts

My level I charger uses almost 15 amps when it is charging. Most garage circuits are 15 or 20 amp. So depending on your garage do you have a plug on the other side and is it on a different circuit? Because two 15 amp devices plugged into one 15 circuit = popped circuit breaker. I have PacHybrid and another electric car. The all-electric car has a Level II on that side 240v 40Amp circuit. So normal overnight charging is on the Level I, but if drive around in the AM, and plan to use it again in the PM. I'll park in the driveway, where the Level II cord can reach the PacHybrid. In a couple of hours it's charged and ready to go another 30+ miles without gasoline.

·
Registered
2020 Pac Hybrid Limited, Tech Pkg
271 Posts
Some garages like mine have more than one circuit so using two L1 setups is possible but getting an L2 is the way to go (many benefits). I have used an OEM L1 + L2 setup to charge two Phev's in the garage for years.

I'm considering a Honda Clarity...advertised 47 miles per charge and a few years old one with low mileage can be @ $20k and less.
I had one and there are a few owners here on the forum. Other than the traditional limitations of a sedan, I think it's a great car.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I've stated my opinion on other discussions already: a "full" EV only makes (economic) sense if you're going to drive it a lot. Otherwise you pay for a huge battery that you never use, so even if the cost per mile is lower running on electricity, you'll never gain back the purchase price differential.

For a car that mostly runs in town, a PHEV is perfect. But for a second/backup vehicle, really the economically optimal decision is probably going to be a gasser.
For those who bought a PHEV to save the planet, there are some real questions. For the rest who took advantage of the government bribe, there are really no questions. ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts

Used EVs can be had for quite cheap, often with low miles. And there isn't really much that goes wrong with them, especially since in several states the battery (the only part that might go bad) is required to come with a 100k warranty.

·
Registered
735 Posts

For full EVs when you don't drive a lot and already have a second car, it makes sense to lease a short range EV like a Leaf. I've heard of leases from $100-$150/m including tax in CA, CO, and TX.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
And by drive a lot you mean . Any vehicle you don’t drive a lot is same either gas or electric . A electric vehicle can be driven long trips , I looked at model x 7 seater long range , and it’s got decent long term capabilities. The supercharging is what makes it or brakes it . My viper in garage gets driven maybe 1-2 times a month in summer . You have to purchase the vehicle that best suits your needs , driving style and range . Cost vs usage vs out of placket expenses is formula , also not everybody wants a vehicle to drive the size of a compact car .

·
Registered
372 Posts
And by drive a lot you mean . Any vehicle you don’t drive a lot is same either gas or electric . A electric vehicle can be driven long trips , I looked at model x 7 seater long range , and it’s got decent long term capabilities. The supercharging is what makes it or brakes it . My viper in garage gets driven maybe 1-2 times a month in summer . You have to purchase the vehicle that best suits your needs , driving style and range . Cost vs usage vs out of placket expenses is formula , also not everybody wants a vehicle to drive the size of a compact car .
I said economic sense. :) Obviously you can keep a viper sitting in your garage if you want, and if having a Tesla sitting unused in your driveway floats your boat, go for it. But if you want to pay as little as possible for getting from A to B, then I maintain it's a suboptimal choice. (I'm pretty sure that's true even with the tax rebate, which you don't get anyway if you buy used which seems sensible for a second car.)

·
Registered
238 Posts

Yes, you can easily charge two PHEVs using L2 from the same circuit. Here's what you need:

They also make that dual residential station with NEMA 14-50 or NEMA 6-50 plugs. And they also make it in 32A version as well. ClipperCreek makes the best EVSEs on the market. They're made in the USA, and they stand behind their products. I own an HCS-40P for my 2017 Pacifica PHEV, and it's been excellent. Take a look through their offerings. Highly recommend!

If (when) we upgrade to two EVs, I plan to buy a CC dual residential station to replace my current model. Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
You won't be able to charge both at the same time on the same circuit. The only solution is to get a 240V outlet and a Level 2 EVSE. It only takes 2 hours to fully charge my PacHy with a 30A Level 2 EVSE.
He could with the ClipperCreek dual charging EVSE I linked. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts