2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
No felony as long as you use those mirror extenders:grin2: Just monitor you oil, coolant and transmission temps. Fortunately the Pacifica makes all these readily available. I think the transmission will probably be the weak link relative to towing. Keep it in the right temperature range.
I used to think the same, but I don't think so anymore. From everything I can tell, the transmission cooling is the same on all Pacificas, not something that's upgraded with the factory towing package. It's an oil-to-air cooler, and mine seems to do quite well when going down the highway, even in 90+ degree weather towing my boat.

The warmest I've ever seen the transmission is 205*, and that was in mid-90* weather in stop-and-go traffic for about 20 minutes with 5 of us in the car towing the boat. I can't get the engine over 232* either, and the bar gauge has never moved at all.

·
Registered
935 Posts
So you don't think I'm committing a felony towing with it? :laugh: OK, I'll let the RPM's do what they please then. Either that or the old-school 11,000lb rated Econoline I guess. (Gross Combined Wt Rating (lbs):22,000)
Hey Toast, just find yerself a long flatbed trailer, put the 'toonboat and Pac on it, and tow them both with the Foad Truk! Now what was the problem? >:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
If one wants to be entertained for an hour or so, go to a busy boat ramp and watch people try to launch and retrieve their boats. From my boat, I watched a guy with a FWD van try to pull his boat out on a slippery ramp only to spin the wheels (wet and slimy ramp = slippery as heck). Someone came to his rescue with a tow chain and truck to get the van and boat out of the water. One needs to consider all aspects of towing the boat from tow capacity to pulling load out of water on a slippery ramp.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If one wants to be entertained for an hour or so, go to a busy boat ramp and watch people try to launch and retrieve their boats. From my boat, I watched a guy with a FWD van try to pull his boat out on a slippery ramp only to spin the wheels (wet and slimy ramp = slippery as heck). Someone came to his rescue with a tow chain and truck to get the van and boat out of the water. One needs to consider all aspects of towing the boat from tow capacity to pulling load out of water on a slippery ramp.
I launched and retrieved over 20 times last summer at at least six different ramps. My boat is right at the 3500 pound limit, and I had no troubles. You have to be cautious, I turned away from a gravel ramp realizing I would have a problem, but with some common sense it is not an issue.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
TomB985
2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
PacificaForums.com - A forum community dedicated to Chrysler Pacifica owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing