2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

What is your action plan for handling the 2017-18 Pacifica Hybrid Battery Fire Recall?

• Exactly what Chrysler says (park in the street, never charge and wait for the fix)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • No change, park and use as I have for years now

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Take some precautions (don’t charge but keep in garage, charge on the street, …) and wait for a fix

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Sell the Pacifica and get something else

Votes: 11 12.8%
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
The owners of my 2018 are going to use it as normal. They are going to continue to charge it daily or multiple times a day just as I did before I sold it a year ago this May. They stated it defeats the purpose of owning it and if it burns to the ground they have full coverage insurance and will upgrade to a 2022 Pacifica Pinnacle hybrid. I drove it for two years with the same fire risk without issue. Chrysler identified there is a problem and only issued the notice to avoid liability rather than turning a blind eye. The problem is not Chrysler's engineering. It is all on LG Chem. If there is some sort of class-action, it should be on LG Chem. Waymo has logged millions of miles in these without them exploding or catching fire. If one Waymo caught fire you would hear about it nationally.

If this rolls into the 2021s (which I expect) I will continue to charge and use mine as designed as well.

Reactions: PacDave

·
Registered
7 Posts
I mark some precautions because I am not parking in the Garage, but my Level 2 charger is outside by our entrance, the garage is de attached and we only park there when we expect snow. So not much change. I will leave it parked by the level 2 charger and charge it tonight even though it is going to snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I’m very curious as to what other people are planning to do based upon this recall?
Good question. Who do we sue? Who will initiate the class action suit? How do we join. I didn't by no regular hybrid. I want to laugh at obscene gas prices not be paying them. Someone needs to be compensating owners biggly!

·
Registered
884 Posts
So I’m very curious as to what other people are planning to do based upon this recall?
Just my opinion. I’m not advocating that anyone follow my example. The number of fires that have apparently occurred in relation to the number of 2017-18 PacHys on the road is pretty minuscule. The isolation post recall was apparently a lame attempt to fix the problem and probably wasn’t even related to it. I’ve been parking my van in the garage and charging it regularly for over three years now without a problem. I’ll continue to do that and hope that Chrysler is smart enough to figure out the problem and come up with a solution in a timely manner. Now if Chrysler offers to reimburse me for the inconvenience they would cause by my heeding their suggestion, that might be a different story.

What would you do if Chrysler asked you to flat out stop driving the van altogether? Do you just say “ok” and wait indefinitely for them to get their act together? I can guarantee you if this was a more serious situation with hundreds of vehicles catching fire they’d offer up a solution much more quickly. Instead it’s, “don’t drive the van the way it was intended to be driven until we get back to you”. That’s lame.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Plug it in and use it as it’s intended , if it catches fire you have insurance and ability to sue . There’s not a stop sale or stop usage with them . Just be cognizant of fact of not leaving it plugged in over night in garage charging .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just my opinion. I’m not advocating that anyone follow my example. The number of fires that have apparently occurred in relation to the number of 2017-18 PacHys on the road is pretty minuscule. The isolation post recall was apparently a lame attempt to fix the problem and probably wasn’t even related to it. I’ve been parking my van in the garage and charging it regularly for over three years now without a problem. I’ll continue to do that and hope that Chrysler is smart enough to figure out the problem and come up with a solution in a timely manner. Now if Chrysler offers to reimburse me for the inconvenience they would cause by my heeding their suggestion, that might be a different story.

What would you do if Chrysler asked you to flat out stop driving the van altogether? Do you just say “ok” and wait indefinitely for them to get their act together? I can guarantee you if this was a more serious situation with hundreds of vehicles catching fire they’d offer up a solution much more quickly. Instead it’s, “don’t drive the van the way it was intended to be driven until we get back to you”. That’s lame.
Then the question would be, if your Pacifica catches fire in your garage and burns your house down, and everybody is safe of course, what is your insurance company going to do when they can prove that you were aware of Chrysler warning not to plug-in or park the vehicle in your garage? Do you think they’re going to pay for a new vehicle or a new house? You might be hard-pressed to get anything out of them.
Does anybody have any experience with this type of thing? How does an insurance company handle it if there was to be a problem and you knew about it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plug it in and use it as it’s intended , if it catches fire you have insurance and ability to sue . There’s not a stop sale or stop usage with them . Just be cognizant of fact of not leaving it plugged in over night in garage charging .
As mentioned in another reply, do you have the ability to sue? If they can show you were aware of Chrysler's warning not to plug in or park the vehicle in a garage or near your house? Would a court not validate an insurance company's claim for negligence on the part of the owner?

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
43 Posts
I always park it outside so that isn't a change. I will make some effort not to charge it to 100%, but I am not that worried. Looking forward to my new battery once they get around to it.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I always park it outside so that isn't a change. I will make some effort not to charge it to 100%, but I am not that worried. Looking forward to my new battery once they get around to it.
It doesn't matter if you charge it or not. The risk remains the same. When hybrid charge sustaining mode kicks in, the system is actively charging and maintaining the SOC to a specific level anytime it is running.

Battery range | Page 3 | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums (pacificaforums.com)

Some vehicles were never plugged in when they caught fire.

Pachy Fires While Parked – Dropbox Paper

Reactions: PacDave

·
Registered
884 Posts
Then the question would be, if your Pacifica catches fire in your garage and burns your house down, and everybody is safe of course, what is your insurance company going to do when they can prove that you were aware of Chrysler warning not to plug-in or park the vehicle in your garage? Do you think they’re going to pay for a new vehicle or a new house? You might be hard-pressed to get anything out of them.
Does anybody have any experience with this type of thing? How does an insurance company handle it if there was to be a problem and you knew about it?
Then the question would be, how does the insurance company prove that I was aware of Chrysler’s warning?

I’m pretty sure the only reason Chrysler sent out the fake recall notices is to cover themselves against lawsuits, not to protect us from what might happen with the van.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It doesn't matter if you charge it or not. The risk remains the same. When hybrid charge sustaining mode kicks in, the system is actively charging and maintaining the SOC to a specific level anytime it is running.

Battery range | Page 3 | 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums (pacificaforums.com)

Exactly. Chrysler tells you not to charge the battery but then driving the car charges the battery! If Chrysler thought they could get away with it they’d ask you to stop driving the car and leave it parked in an open lot with at least 100 feet between it and any other object. Truly, if they thought people would do that without complaining, they’d ask that. So they’ve calculated and decided that the farthest that they can go without catching a whole lot of flack from their customers is to say, park it in the driveway and don’t charge it.

Think about it. Chrysler claims to not know exactly what the problem is or how to fix it at this moment in time yet they appear to know exactly what will lessen the odds of us having another fire. I’m not sure I totally believe them. I can just imagine the conversation in some board room that led to this fake recall notice.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts

The question comes into play what about the guy who lives in a condo or unit that has close proximity to other vehicles . I totally agree with you , if it’s going to catch it will no matter what or where . Plug it and use it , if it implodes so be it I say . I’m curious why it’s only “ specific model years “ . I’m wondering if LG used different internals for newer ones .

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I’m wondering if LG used different internals for newer ones .
From what I can see the LG cells have not changed and are the only part they provide. A few of Chrysler's internal parts for the in-house designed complete pack they engineered have been upgraded a few times. LG Chem cells are the same for 17-22. There are 6 cell clusters of 8X16S that LG Chem ships. Everything else in the pack is is designed and assembled by Chrysler.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Exactly. Chrysler tells you not to charge the battery but then driving the car charges the battery! If Chrysler thought they could get away with it they’d ask you to stop driving the car and leave it parked in an open lot with at least 100 feet between it and any other object. Truly, if they thought people would do that without complaining, they’d ask that. So they’ve calculated and decided that the farthest that they can go without catching a whole lot of flack from their customers is to say, park it in the driveway and don’t charge it.

Think about it. Chrysler claims to not know exactly what the problem is or how to fix it at this moment in time yet they appear to know exactly what will lessen the odds of us having another fire. I’m not sure I totally believe them. I can just imagine the conversation in some board room that led to this fake recall notice.
Back in 2020 they did say that very nearly the same.

Chysler Pacifica hybrid minivans recalled due to battery problem (autoblog.com)
Pacifica hybrid owners are advised not to park their vehicle inside a garage, building, or other structure, or near other vehicles. They're also asked not to carry liquids that might spill in the second-row seating area.
We had a 2018 PACHY at the time, but how the heck are you supposed to not park it near other vehicles/structures? Basically means leave it and never drive it. If you followed their advice you could never drive it to any parking lot, grocery shopping, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone from Chrysler is monitoring this forum, can you please answer the following questions:
1) Have more 2017 or 2018 Pacifica Hybrid fires been reported - and were they also while charging or off? Please provide current numbers and stats.
2) Of the fires reported, had all those vehicles been serviced for the previous 12-volt isolation post recall (W46/NHTSA 20V-334)?
3) Have any Pacifica Hybrid fires been reported for vehicles while they were being driven/operated? If so, which model years and how many of each year?
4) Are there any clues left behind in the 12 burned vehicles - or was all evidence of a cause destroyed completely by those fires?
5) Do you have an estimated timeframe for a “fix”?
6) If this recall is limited to only 2017 & 2018 models, what was changed for subsequent years - and why can’t you install those changes/upgrades to fix our 2017’s and 2018’s?

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
If anyone from Chrysler is monitoring this forum, can you please answer the following questions:
1) Have more 2017 or 2018 Pacifica Hybrid fires been reported - and were they also while charging or off? Please provide current numbers and stats.
2) Of the fires reported, had all those vehicles been serviced for the previous 12-volt isolation post recall (W46/NHTSA 20V-334)?
3) Have any Pacifica Hybrid fires been reported for vehicles while they were being driven/operated? If so, which model years and how many of each year?
4) Are there any clues left behind in the 12 burned vehicles - or was all evidence of a cause destroyed completely by those fires?
5) Do you have an estimated timeframe for a “fix”?
6) If this recall is limited to only 2017 & 2018 models, what was changed for subsequent years - and why can’t you install those changes/upgrades to fix our 2017’s and 2018’s?
Corporate companies (Chrysler Cares) will not respond to such questions due to liability reasons.

Chrysler has released a public statement on the issue, that is all you will hear until they release the repair. The repair information will be limited as well.

Common legal liability practices any business adheres to.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Any idea what's new about this? I had both recalls done already years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just received notice that our 2017 Pacifica plug in hybrid is part of this recall. With no actual remedy in sight and we are currently waiting on broken heater replacement for the battery operated heating system, for over 6 months now, this makes me nervous as to how long it will take to remedy. Any idea if the 2022 models have the same hybrid battery and potentially will have the same issues down the road? I’ve been considering trading this vehicle in and purchasing a newer model if it is more reliable. I have 2 young kids and drive a lot for work and to kid activities etc. so need a reliable vehicle, preferably PHEV or EV. Ugh this whole issue is so frustrating.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts