2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

What is your action plan for handling the 2017-18 Pacifica Hybrid Battery Fire Recall?

• Exactly what Chrysler says (park in the street, never charge and wait for the fix)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • No change, park and use as I have for years now

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Take some precautions (don’t charge but keep in garage, charge on the street, …) and wait for a fix

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Sell the Pacifica and get something else

Votes: 11 12.8%
61 - 80 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
755 Posts
After contacting Chrysler, they offered me $60 (plus taxes) per day toward the cost of a rental car--I pay up front for the rental, and they reimburse me. I think others in this forum have received that offer well. Does anyone know if this offer is for real? Will Chrysler really pay $60+ per day indefinitely until my Pachy is fixed (guessing that could easily take 6 months, possibly a year)? When I asked Chrysler to send me the fine print on their offer, they said to talk to my local dealer. When I talked to my local dealer, they said, "We don't know anything. This is a Chrysler matter."

I'm skeptical. Is Chrysler really going to part with upwards of $10,000 to pay for my rental (assuming it last 6 months)? If they're prepared to pay that much, how about just swapping my car for a new one that is not a fire hazard?

Any insights appreciated!
Maybe they just expect to pass the cost on to LG! Or maybe they are closer to a fix then we know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After contacting Chrysler, they offered me $60 (plus taxes) per day toward the cost of a rental car--I pay up front for the rental, and they reimburse me. I think others in this forum have received that offer well. Does anyone know if this offer is for real? Will Chrysler really pay $60+ per day indefinitely until my Pachy is fixed (guessing that could easily take 6 months, possibly a year)? When I asked Chrysler to send me the fine print on their offer, they said to talk to my local dealer. When I talked to my local dealer, they said, "We don't know anything. This is a Chrysler matter."

I'm skeptical. Is Chrysler really going to part with upwards of $10,000 to pay for my rental (assuming it last 6 months)? If they're prepared to pay that much, how about just swapping my car for a new one that is not a fire hazard?

Any insights appreciated!
Yes, rental offer is being offered to others as well so seems legit. For other options including possible trade in, I was told to wait until April from official letter from Chrysler.

Personally, I won't take rental offer for three reasons: 1) $60 doesn't get me a minivan 2) I don't have additional parking spot for rental car 3) I rather drive a minivan with a plug.

This recall will most likely be extended for models after 2018 so not really sure what is a good option right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, rental offer is being offered to others as well so seems legit. For other options including possible trade in, I was told to wait until April from official letter from Chrysler.

Personally, I won't take rental offer for three reasons: 1) $60 doesn't get me a minivan 2) I don't have additional parking spot for rental car 3) I rather drive a minivan with a plug.

This recall will most likely be extended for models after 2018 so not really sure what is a good option right now.
Interesting. Did they give you any sense of what might be in the April letter? Does it sound like there could be a buyback offer coming?

·
Registered
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
6 Posts
New, they cannot legally sell. I believe this is why Chrysler only made the recall for 17-18. It would destroy current new hybrid sales.

Used is different and regulated at the state levels. Some states don't allow it, and some do. My state does not.

It IS against the law for car dealers to sell used cars with unrepaired safety recalls
Dealers (and private sellers) can legally sell vehicles with outstanding recalls in Ontario.
Below is a copy/paste from OMVIC
OMVIC (Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council) administers and enforces the Motor Vehicle Dealers Act(MVDA), its regulations and code of ethics, as well as relevant sections of the Consumer Protection Act, on behalf of Ontario's Ministry of Government and Consumer Services (MGCS).

Vehicle Recalls – General Information
Recalls are issued by vehicle manufacturers and are regulated federally by Transport Canada. While recalls are not issued by dealers, franchise dealers can be an excellent resource for information related to recalls.
Dealers (and private sellers) can legally sell vehicles with outstanding recalls. It is therefore vital that consumers take steps to educate and protect themselves by searching for recalls and by ensuring they are registered with the vehicle manufacturer to ensure receipt of future recall notices.
Vehicle owners who believe a safety-related defect is affecting their vehicle should report the problem to Transport Canada. This can be done by completing Transport Canada’s Defect Complaint Form or by calling 1-800-333-0510.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I’m very curious as to what other people are planning to do based upon this recall?

Chrysler's response to this recall is just insulting. I think we need to organize ourselves and others in our position so that we make more commotion. They clearly are not going to do anything meaningful until we rattle them a bit more. At a minimum, since we could not charge our cars for 1.5 months and counting, they should be giving us a $60 a day gas allowance instead of reimbursing rentals up to $60 a day (which would not even get us a Nissan Leaf). This vehicle falls under the Lemon Law in California -- I would like to pursue that and maybe we can start a class action lawsuit? We need to find others who have the Pacific to join us. Let's do Reddit and FB and LinkedIn? Other ideas?

In addition to this minivan, we have had 2 Jeeps and 3 Chargers. But if this is the way Chrysler treats their loyal customers, we need to clearly warn others. Can you please help?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have any actually caught fire?
The article mentions 16 fires have been reported. The fix seems to be known which is different from Z11 recall where there are too many unknowns (problem, solution and timeline). One good thing for Chrysler is that the battery replacement is cheaper compared to Bolt (smaller battery).

I was just saying plug-in hybrids seem to have more issues than fully electric vehicles. Hopefully, in US, there is a good all-electric minivan option available soon to replace Chrysler's Pacifica hybrid (Chrysler portal, VW ID.buzz, Mercedes EQV).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
We just sold our 3.5 year old, 2018 Pacifica Limited Hybrid with 41,000 miles on it for a little over $34,000 on Carvana! In my mind, this was a class leading van and we really loved the electric efficiency of it in the warmer months, but it wasn't without some cold weather quirks (constant engine cycling, every couple of seconds, being the main one).

A sincere good luck to others trying to sell or wait for the recall fix, hopefully it is timely and safe until then.

Over and out...

·
Registered
34 Posts
We just sold our 3.5 year old, 2018 Pacifica Limited Hybrid with 41,000 miles on it for a little over $34,000 on Carvana! In my mind, this was a class leading van and we really loved the electric efficiency of it in the warmer months, but it wasn't without some cold weather quirks (constant engine cycling, every couple of seconds, being the main one).

A sincere good luck to others trying to sell or wait for the recall fix, hopefully it is timely and safe until then.

Over and out...
What will you be driving in its place?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
What will you be driving in its place?
I called about 30 dealers and was lucky enough to find a new Toyota Sienna XLE AWD, without the typical 8-12 month wait (we only had to wait 1 month)! We've had a Sienna before and the besides the usual Toyota reliability, we were drawn to the 35 MPG City/Hwy efficiency as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I’m very curious as to what other people are planning to do based upon this recall?
Like some others in here, we were offered both $60/day rental reimbursement (which we'd have to pay upfront - so, that's in addition to the $650 monthly payment for the van itself) and a $1k - $2k "incentive" on a trade-in. $60/day won't actually pay for ANY rentals in our area, and the van is our only vehicle, so it's all-or-nothing. And, $1k - $2k is a joke when comparable new models from them are averaging $55k (if you can find one). We were hard-pressed to swing the $45k purchase price in 2017, so, yeah, paying EVEN MORE isn't something we're willing to do. I understand why some folks are saying they're not changing a thing, but the reality is that we've been formally notified about a national recall. So, if the van burns to the ground, sets your house or a neighboring vehicle on fire, well, the onus is on you - not FCA. Their legal department is, sadly, much more experienced in these things than we are. The recall notice might only be a cover-your-a** kind of thing for them, but that's exactly what it does. if you choose not to follow what they've clearly laid out, then good luck arguing with your insurance if something goes wrong. We are incredibly frustrated that we're parking outside, not plugging in (we went from 1500 miles/tank of gas down to 315 miles on the most recent tank because we mostly do short, city trips), struggling to find a "safe" place to park at work (or to get groceries), and feeling like we were idiots for not selling the van after the first big recall. We've nicknamed the van "Hindenburg." If FCA offers us more $$ (say, $12k - $15k) as an incentive, we'll take it because we seriously doubt there is a real fix for this problem, and offering big incentives is cheaper than replacing all these battery packs and settling lawsuits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Like some others in here, we were offered both $60/day rental reimbursement (which we'd have to pay upfront - so, that's in addition to the $650 monthly payment for the van itself) and a $1k - $2k "incentive" on a trade-in. $60/day won't actually pay for ANY rentals in our area, and the van is our only vehicle, so it's all-or-nothing. And, $1k - $2k is a joke when comparable new models from them are averaging $55k (if you can find one). We were hard-pressed to swing the $45k purchase price in 2017, so, yeah, paying EVEN MORE isn't something we're willing to do. I understand why some folks are saying they're not changing a thing, but the reality is that we've been formally notified about a national recall. So, if the van burns to the ground, sets your house or a neighboring vehicle on fire, well, the onus is on you - not FCA. Their legal department is, sadly, much more experienced in these things than we are. The recall notice might only be a cover-your-a** kind of thing for them, but that's exactly what it does. if you choose not to follow what they've clearly laid out, then good luck arguing with your insurance if something goes wrong. We are incredibly frustrated that we're parking outside, not plugging in (we went from 1500 miles/tank of gas down to 315 miles on the most recent tank because we mostly do short, city trips), struggling to find a "safe" place to park at work (or to get groceries), and feeling like we were idiots for not selling the van after the first big recall. We've nicknamed the van "Hindenburg." If FCA offers us more $$ (say, $12k - $15k) as an incentive, we'll take it because we seriously doubt there is a real fix for this problem, and offering big incentives is cheaper than replacing all these battery packs and settling lawsuits.
Does anyone know if home owners insurance and comprehensive auto insurance covers fire related damages assuming the owner does not follow recall advise (continue to charge and park as usual)?

·
Registered
755 Posts
The recall mitigations are just “advisory”. It’s not a stop use order. I’d say when it comes to complying with them it’s a best effort kind of thing. And if something happens then insurance takes over.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Thanks SKPacHy. This helps.
I would parse the words carefully. They are ”advising” owners. Not ”requiring” owners. Not everyone will be able to comply with the recall order. Of course if concerned you should call your insurance companies. But I would bet Chrysler is thinking that this is far cheaper for them too. The chance of more fires is low, but if they do happen, it’s cheaper for them to pay your insurance company for damage caused than it is to be forced to buy back 19000 hybrids. Or compensate owners for a stop use order. Obviously take any sensible precautions you can. But I don’t think Chrysler’s letter would release them from liability should another fire occur.

61 - 80 of 125 Posts