2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

What is your action plan for handling the 2017-18 Pacifica Hybrid Battery Fire Recall?

• Exactly what Chrysler says (park in the street, never charge and wait for the fix)

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • No change, park and use as I have for years now

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Take some precautions (don’t charge but keep in garage, charge on the street, …) and wait for a fix

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • Sell the Pacifica and get something else

Votes: 12 12.9%
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
For my 2018 limited, KBB on 12/15/2021 was as follows:

Private party $35.5k
Trade in $32.5k

I bought it used from a dealer in Oct 2021 for $35k.
Interesting, thank you. I have a limited as well and assuming we are at ~ the same mileage, seems like its an ~10% value lost when other used cars have appreciated in the last 5 months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After contacting Chrysler, they offered me $60 (plus taxes) per day toward the cost of a rental car--I pay up front for the rental, and they reimburse me. I think others in this forum have received that offer well. Does anyone know if this offer is for real? Will Chrysler really pay $60+ per day indefinitely until my Pachy is fixed (guessing that could easily take 6 months, possibly a year)? When I asked Chrysler to send me the fine print on their offer, they said to talk to my local dealer. When I talked to my local dealer, they said, "We don't know anything. This is a Chrysler matter."

I'm skeptical. Is Chrysler really going to part with upwards of $10,000 to pay for my rental (assuming it last 6 months)? If they're prepared to pay that much, how about just swapping my car for a new one that is not a fire hazard?

Any insights appreciated!
My Pacifica was at the dealer for over 8 months beginning last August (initially due to rodent damage, then many months waiting for various parts, including a second harness because the one they installed was faulty.) My insurance company got me reduced rate rentals several times, and Chrysler reimbursed two Pacifica rentals in November and December but said that was only because they had a specific ETA for the parts. When the part was further delayed, they said they would no longer reimburse rentals. Your experience might be different.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My Pacifica was at the dealer for over 8 months beginning last August (initially due to rodent damage, then many months waiting for various parts, including a second harness because the one they installed was faulty.) My insurance company got me reduced rate rentals several times, and Chrysler reimbursed two Pacifica rentals in November and December but said that was only because they had a specific ETA for the parts. When the part was further delayed, they said they would no longer reimburse rentals. Your experience might be different.
Interesting about the rodent damage. May I ask a couple of questions? 1)Do you regularly park it outside. 2)Does it go for long intervals, maybe more than 3-4 days between driving it?

Just trying to figure out what might make it more likely to be damaged by rodents.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone tried to get rental reimbursement towards a purchase of a replacement vehicle? Say buying a used Tesla model X and trading it back once the recall is over. $2K/month would match the depreciation on other equivalent vehicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone tried to get rental reimbursement towards a purchase of a replacement vehicle? Say buying a used Tesla model X and trading it back once the recall is over. $2K/month would match the depreciation on other equivalent vehicles.
I suspect that would be unlikely. I tried to get approval for a subscription rental of a Tesla. It would have been $500 more for the first month but $1500 cheaper in subsequent months. They wouldn't approve it. So now they are paying $85/day for my rental and just approved the 3rd month of rental since there is no fix in sight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm currently renting a minivan from Enterprise, that Chrysler reserved for me, they are reimbursing me for it ($66/day + taxes). I won't be using my Pacifica Hybrid 2018 until they resolve the issue. In the meantime Chrysler will continue to pay for my rental.

The more people do the same, the stronger incentive for Chrysler to solve the issue soon because of all the money they'll be losing because of the rentals they have to pay for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm currently renting a minivan from Enterprise, that Chrysler reserved for me, they are reimbursing me for it ($66/day + taxes). I won't be using my Pacifica Hybrid 2018 until they resolve the issue. In the meantime Chrysler will continue to pay for my rental.

The more people do the same, the stronger incentive for Chrysler to solve the issue soon because of all the money they'll be losing because of the rentals they have to pay for.
What did you do to get this? Call chrysler?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its summer. After 2 years, am going on an extended vacation with family. What is everyone doing about the parking situation when on vacay. I feel very uncomfortable leaving it in the garage. And leaving it out in TX, especially in July isnt a great idea either. On top of it, neighbors will post on nextdoor app about some abandoned vehicle! Cant deal with that / HoA. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
773 Posts
Its summer. After 2 years, am going on an extended vacation with family. What is everyone doing about the parking situation when on vacay. I feel very uncomfortable leaving it in the garage. And leaving it out in TX, especially in July isnt a great idea either. On top of it, neighbors will post on nextdoor app about some abandoned vehicle! Cant deal with that / HoA. Any suggestions?
You can’t park a vehicle in your own driveway?

·
Registered
911 Posts
You do realize that the chances of it catching fire are pretty slim, right? Do you store other cars in the garage? Do they have absolutely 0% chance of catching fire? Do you store flammable chemicals/gasoline in your garage? Do you have any paper or cardboard boxes in your garage?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am hoping they extend the recall to my 2021 eventually and I get a new battery free to be honest. GM did that on the Bolt and they all have LG batteries so maybe I get "lucky".

·
Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
773 Posts
I am hoping they extend the recall to my 2021 eventually and I get a new battery free to be honest. GM did that on the Bolt and they all have LG batteries so maybe I get "lucky".
Once we know what the cause is we will know the likelyhood of it being extended to other model years. The thing with the Bolt issue was that it was a basically random defect in a part that wasn‘t serviceable or inspectable. At least not inspectable at a dealer. If the problem with the PacHy is something other than a cell defect it’s possible it’s fixable by opening a pack. Or replacing something else. It’s also possible that it’s a trackable defect that can be isolated to certain packs based on manufacturing data. It could also be something that’s unique to earlier packs that changed at some point in production due to a running change. Lots of parts change over years of production. Once we know cause and remedy, we will have a batter idea what other model years are looking at.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Traded in my 2018 Pachy for a Rav4 Prime. I would have done it months ago but there wasn't any availability for the Rav4 prime and the other PHEVs we were waitlisted for.
Our Pachy was parked on the street and hardly driven. My kid's bedroom is directly over our garage. My wife works at an elementary school. She would have to park where kids get dropped off/picked up. She'd also be parking next to the playground. While some on this thread think the risk of a fire is low, the consequences were higher than I'd like to accept. I'm glad to be rid of it. Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Traded in my 2018 Pachy for a Rav4 Prime. I would have done it months ago but there wasn't any availability for the Rav4 prime and the other PHEVs we were waitlisted for.
Our Pachy was parked on the street and hardly driven. My kid's bedroom is directly over our garage. My wife works at an elementary school. She would have to park where kids get dropped off/picked up. She'd also be parking next to the playground. While some on this thread think the risk of a fire is low, the consequences were higher than I'd like to accept. I'm glad to be rid of it. Good luck to you all.
You lucked out getting the Rav 4 Prime as long as the dealer didn't charge way over sticker.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Covid has taught us that the risk tolerance for a large percentage of the population is near 0. I have two charging pachys at my place and am not worried much, but I did install a smoke detector in the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a fire extinguisher for my 2018 Pacifica when I heard about the recall. I was charging it with the 115v charging chord from a house outlet. I had a "check engine" light come on in early May, and was lucky to be in Zilker Park where there were high voltage charging nearby. I charged it for an hour and got 65% on the batteries. That got me to the dealership. The car didn't run on the gas engine, but only the electric. The check engine light was due to a transmission module failing. Supposedly the part is arriving from the supplier next week. My plan is to charge at a high voltage station with the extinguisher in hand. I need the 145 cubic feet of cargo space for my vehicle and trade in when I find a good deal.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Covid has taught us that the risk tolerance for a large percentage of the population is near 0. I have two charging pachys at my place and am not worried much, but I did install a smoke detector in the garage.
That’s a good comparison. You’re more likely to die from CoVid than to have your PacHy burn to the ground! 😁

121 - 140 of 141 Posts