2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2022 Pinnacle AWD
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
563 Posts
This is the first time we've learned exactly how many PacHys Chrysler has produced.

Only 67,000.

· Registered
1,205 Posts

Looks like they found the source of the shutdown-while-driving issue and have a fix! See the article for full details.
It’s a little puzzling to me. The problem is a connector that can get shorted and the resolution is a software update. Doesn’t make sense.

· Registered
563 Posts
It’s a little puzzling to me. The problem is a connector that can get shorted and the resolution is a software update. Doesn’t make sense.
As mentioned in the recall document, the fixed connector is not ready yet.

This update is to fix the "unexpected" part of the unexpected shutdown.

I assume there will be another recall later to replace the part. Manufacturing still has shortages and lead times, I wouldn't be surprised if it's 4-6 months to get a new connector produced.

· Administrator
2,741 Posts
I don't like it.
" internal transmission wiring connector which could short "
Does it mean that the entire transmission will have to be replaced? AFAIK Chrysler doesn't consider it field repairable.

· Registered
2021 Pacifica Hybrid Touring-L Plus
1,223 Posts
I don't like it.
" internal transmission wiring connector which could short "
Does it mean that the entire transmission will have to be replaced? AFAIK Chrysler doesn't consider it field repairable.
Unlikely they are just going to replace every transaxle. The remedy fixes the sudden shutdown and that’s it. If you have this problem the transaxle will need to be replaced.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
So the “fix” is to not shut down the engine immediately but to allow a few seconds for you to pull over to the side of the road? This is starting to sound like another one of those recalls where I will wait awhile to see how everything pans out.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
Unlikely they are just going to replace every transaxle. The remedy fixes the sudden shutdown and that’s it. If you have this problem the transaxle will need to be replaced.
So there is a connector inside the transmission that fails sometimes and causes the vehicle to shutdown. And the fix is to not really fix the problem by replacing a connector that has been known to short out. The fix is for the software to ignore the problem for long enough that you can safely pull the vehicle over. That translates to, the problem is rare enough and difficult enough to fix that we don’t want to do the right thing and fix it properly so we’ll just take away some of the danger involved with the failure and only fix the ones that actually fail.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
This is another example of where transparency would go a long way. Instead of explaining the problem in vague terms tell us exactly what happens to the connector when it fails, why the engine needs to be shut down, and why it makes sense to not fix it completely and properly, etc.

Because to me with the little amount of information I have on this issue, it appears that Chrysler doesn’t want to really fix the problem because it’s too costly and time consuming.

· Registered
563 Posts
So there is a connector inside the transmission that fails sometimes and causes the vehicle to shutdown.
You're failing to explain it properly. The connector DOES NOT cause the vehicle to shut down.

The connector is for a SENSOR and it causes the sensor to give bad data. The PIM software sees this bad data and decides to shut down the vehicle immediately.

The immediate fix is to reprogram the PIM to allow it to ignore the bad data and keep the vehicle moving and warn the user to pull over immediately, so people don't get rear-ended on the highway.

Whether or not there are additional fixes is to be determined, but the immediate issue is prevent people from getting into accidents.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
So there is a connector inside the transmission that fails sometimes and causes the vehicle to shutdown. And the fix is to not really fix the problem by replacing a connector that has been known to short out. The fix is for the software to ignore the problem for long enough that you can safely pull the vehicle over. That translates to, the problem is rare enough and difficult enough to fix that we don’t want to do the right thing and fix it properly so we’ll just take away some of the danger involved with the failure and only fix the ones that actually fail.
Right. The failure of the wiring harness is obviously not traceable by looking at build tracking data. It wasn’t just a “bad batch” of harnesses. The failure must not be predictable either. It could be a problem with the harness itself or something that happens to the harness during operation of the vehicle. So FCA is voluntarily planning this recall to fix the immediate safety problem of an unexpected loss of power. And then will just replace any transaxle that have this fault. The fact that it’s currently voluntary doesn’t preclude the regulators ordering more down the road. But the regulators must think that the fault will be rare enough to not warrant a complete recall of all the transaxles.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
@PacDave

After reading the available details.......apparently the true and permanent fix is to replace 67,000 PacHy transaxles, since the defective connector is not field repairable. I somehow doubt Chrysler will ever do this, and we'll be permanently stuck with the software "fix".
If you get this fault your transaxle will be replaced. You won’t just be stuck with the software fix. If your transaxle never gets this fault then there is no problem. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either an official or unofficial extended warranty program on this transaxle for this fault.

· Registered
1,205 Posts
You're failing to explain it properly. The connector DOES NOT cause the vehicle to shut down.

The connector is for a SENSOR and it causes the sensor to give bad data. The PIM software sees this bad data and decides to shut down the vehicle immediately.

The immediate fix is to reprogram the PIM to allow it to ignore the bad data and keep the vehicle moving and warn the user to pull over immediately, so people don't get rear-ended on the highway.

Whether or not there are additional fixes is to be determined, but the immediate issue is prevent people from getting into accidents.
Ok. That sheds a little more light on things. At least I now know that the connector is for a sensor.

· Registered
1,205 Posts

The connector failure CERTAINLY DOES cause the vehicle to shut down. It just doesn’t directly cause it.

· Administrator
2,741 Posts
If you get this fault your transaxle will be replaced. You won’t just be stuck with the software fix. If your transaxle never gets this fault then there is no problem. I wouldn’t be surprised to see either an official or unofficial extended warranty program on this transaxle for this fault.
So the worst scenario for us is that the software fix will move the problem from a "safety critical issue" to a "regular failure" and we'll be on our own once the warranty runs out.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
So the worst scenario for us is that the software fix will move the problem from a "safety critical issue" to a "regular failure" and we'll be on our own once the warranty runs out.
That is definitely the big question. It appears the transaxle may be covered under the Hybrid system warranty in the USA. I'm not sure about how it works in Canada. But now that they know there's a potential flaw in the internal connectors of the transaxle I would hope there would be a warranty extension on this fault. I guess you could take them to court if they tried to say it wasn't covered.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts