2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

The AC stopped working and not blowing cold air. The vehicle is 3yrs 9 months old, so its not under warranty. I checked with dealer for refrigerant refill and he quoted $600 for new freon type. So went to a private AC technician for recharge and he found that there is a leak in the pipe that goes to the third row seating. He mentioned fixing it may cost around anywhere between $1000-$2000. Has anyone faced a similar problem. Does anyone have a suggestions?

Thanks,
Karthik

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
62 Posts
Yes the new refrigerant is expensive. And yes that line is a week point. You have 3 choices 1. fix it the right way and replace the line. 2. Have that line plugged use front AC only and a cheaper fix. 3. Not recommended live without AC.

Just adding refrigerant is pointless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the new refrigerant is expensive. And yes that line is a week point. You have 3 choices 1. fix it the right way and replace the line. 2. Have that line plugged use front AC only and a cheaper fix. 3. Not recommended live without AC.

Just adding refrigerant is pointless.
Thanks Jeremy. I will contact the dealer to get quote for replacing the line.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Make the canse with the dealer and, if you have a good dealer, you might be able to get some relief on a good will basis especially if you have low miles. Also message Chrysler Cares through the forum and plead you case. Do not roll over and pay!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Agreed about opening a dealer case . I will say that the dealer cost for part and labour will be pretty costly . Why don’t you buy a extended warranty for it and then put it into warranty claim .

·
Registered
704 Posts
Amazing the dealer would just charge it with freon and not look for a leak...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Amazing the dealer would just charge it with freon and not look for a leak...
That is AC repair 101
Evacuate the system and pull a vacuum. If there is a leak you will loose the vacuum.
It doesn’t hurt to ask some good dealers will do a good will repair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me this year. My compressor failed. Thank god i was still under warranty. Not pleased with a 60k van. Should be better quality, should have bought a Toyota instead but I was willing to give a North American a chance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make the canse with the dealer and, if you have a good dealer, you might be able to get some relief on a good will basis especially if you have low miles. Also message Chrysler Cares through the forum and plead you case. Do not roll over and pay!
I have contacted Chrysler Care and waiting for their response.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agreed about opening a dealer case . I will say that the dealer cost for part and labour will be pretty costly . Why don’t you buy a extended warranty for it and then put it into warranty claim .
Sure. I shall have this as a last option.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had the same thing happen to me this year. My compressor failed. Thank god i was still under warranty. Not pleased with a 60k van. Should be better quality, should have bought a Toyota instead but I was willing to give a North American a chance.
Agreed. Mine is not under warranty and its 42k. I was a proud owner of FCA brand with this Pacifica, but now i regret it. I have a 2009 Toyota Camry which so far has zero complaints.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chrylser Care updated that this wont be covered by them and I will have to bear the expense. So far the quote to fix it is 1270 (590 for 1234yf + 320 parts for the complete pipe + 360 labor ). I am still debating should i fix this by paying this much or fix it with splice kit and fill 134a refrigerant. Any advices?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Pacifica Touring L + S
481 Posts
You cannot just decide to change refrigerant types. You would have to replace all the hardware as well, compressor and other components. What ever you decide, you will have to do it the correct way, or you will be throwing away your money.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The only way to save money is to cap off the rear AC and recharge the front AC only. You would use less refrigerant wouldn’t need to replace the line save on the labor time. And you will be cool. Your rear seat passengers not so much.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
To Keith Re 2017 Pacifica
AC lines to rear went (leaking, corroded) and the compressor as well(!!) at 33,000 km. Naturally, no warranty coverage. Dealer wanted $1900 plus tax for the lines alone. I went to a guy I know.... says there are NO aftermarket compressors at all. Is this true? How often does a compressor fail after 33K in light driving in Oakville, Ontario?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Also in this situation, my 2018 is in the shop having the A/C compressor replaced. Less than 45k miles. Annoying and expensive, at least my vehicle has been nearly trouble free otherwise.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts