2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally took it in to have them check the transmission at 82,000. I had the fluid changed by the dealership around 50k so it should be in great shape but it was shifting hard at low speeds. Around 17 mph and randomly. Not consistent at all. Mostly in parking lots or when going from a slight acceleration to no acceleration. They said they needed to do a transmission update. I was skeptical about a software update for a transmission but for $165 I said to do it and if it continued I would trade it in for something more reliable. I took it out for a drive tonight and accelerated fast and hesitated a lot on the gas around 15 mph to see if the transmission would slip or slam but it seems to be fixed. I’ll provide an update in a few weeks after my wife drives it all over to see if that was the fix. They replaced a transmission module a year ago and I thought that had fixed it but it started again after 6 months or so. I’ll have to reply to his thread in a few months to see if the transmission software update worked.

Hoping for a smooth transmission shift for at least 200,000!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You'll need to reset the transmission. Google it. It does work. I had to do this twice now. I have 43000 miles.

This is the one I've used You are being redirected...

Reactions: panoguy

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,159 Posts
I originally took it in to have them check the transmission at 82,000. I had the fluid changed by the dealership around 50k so it should be in great shape but it was shifting hard at low speeds. Around 17 mph and randomly. Not consistent at all. Mostly in parking lots or when going from a slight acceleration to no acceleration. They said they needed to do a transmission update. I was skeptical about a software update for a transmission but for $165 I said to do it and if it continued I would trade it in for something more reliable. I took it out for a drive tonight and accelerated fast and hesitated a lot on the gas around 15 mph to see if the transmission would slip or slam but it seems to be fixed. I’ll provide an update in a few weeks after my wife drives it all over to see if that was the fix. They replaced a transmission module a year ago and I thought that had fixed it but it started again after 6 months or so. I’ll have to reply to his thread in a few months to see if the transmission software update worked.

Hoping for a smooth transmission shift for at least 200,000!
Welcome to the forum. If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and will help us answer your questions easier in the future. The build date is on the edge of the driver's door.

I hope that the update works for your van. My experience has been that resetting transmission adaptations lasted about 10,000 miles until it needed reset. After taking the van in 4 times for this issue (15 mph jolt), the transmission was replaced under warranty in June. It is too soon to tell if the problem is permanently solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'll need to reset the transmission. Google it. It does work. I had to do this twice now. I have 43000 miles.

This is the one I've used You are being redirected...
I tried this a couple months ago. Didn’t seem to do anything. If the transmission software update fails in the next few months, I’ll try this again but hope I don’t need to. Dealership didn’t say that I needed to.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had my 2017 in the shop 4 or 5 times now complaining about this transmission issue... jerking so hard we think we've been hit from behind. The first few times they blew me off, saying they couldn't reproduce it (it's intermittent). Then they started resetting/updating the transmission software. Took three times, but they finally did something that worked. That was about 18 months ago. Now, I'm right back to where I was with extremely hard shifting. I currently have just under 47,000 miles on it. So frustrating!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had my 2017 in the shop 4 or 5 times now complaining about this transmission issue... jerking so hard we think we've been hit from behind. The first few times they blew me off, saying they couldn't reproduce it (it's intermittent). Then they started resetting/updating the transmission software. Took three times, but they finally did something that worked. That was about 18 months ago. Now, I'm right back to where I was with extremely hard shifting. I currently have just under 47,000 miles on it. So frustrating!!!
how much are they charging you each time? Still hoping ours will be fixed for 25,000 or so. If the update works for that long, I will be somewhat happy... hoping I don’t have to do anything until 150k. At 82k now

·
Registered
22 Posts
how much are they charging you each time? Still hoping ours will be fixed for 25,000 or so. If the update works for that long, I will be somewhat happy... hoping I don’t have to do anything until 150k. At 82k now
It was under warranty at the time, so I wasn't getting charged anything but my time and aggravation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ditched my Pacifica and upgraded to a Toyota Sienna. Problem solved!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts