349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm going to say H&R Block software is not update to date. IRS site says same as turbotax, also found some other forums discussing it as well.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/list-of-available-free-file-fillable-forms

IRS form 8936 for 2017 not available - Chevy Bolt EV Forum
Yes, that is confusing. H&R wouldn't let me efile until the update on January 26, but after that it went through fine. I can see the Form 8936 there on my printout as well. I'd be mildly concerned except that we know that there are no changes in the EV credit so I can't see what difference it is going to make once they release the 'new' 8936.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that is confusing. H&R wouldn't let me efile until the update on January 26, but after that it went through fine. I can see the Form 8936 there on my printout as well. I'd be mildly concerned except that we know that there are no changes in the EV credit so I can't see what difference it is going to make once they release the 'new' 8936.
I agree, kinda just want my money now. I tried to see if TurboTax let me do a work around, it blocked me from all angles.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just checked the IRS website, and it's now saying that IRS form 8936 will be available March 15th, 2018. I've read on a few other forums that some people have already filed with the currently available form since the credit did not change in the recently updated tax laws. Anyone here have any information or personal experience with this? What are you all doing?

It seems like every time it's promised by a certain date, it's pushed back yet again. :frown2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking to buy Pacifica hybrid in the next 1 month. Can I expect tax credit when I file for it next year? If $7500 tax credit is removed after I buy, will I still be able to claim next year during my filing?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am looking to buy Pacifica hybrid in the next 1 month. Can I expect tax credit when I file for it next year? If $7500 tax credit is removed after I buy, will I still be able to claim next year during my filing?
You can only claim for the year you purchased, currently it is still active for 2018. However the IRS can do whatever they want so you take a risk. I suggest purchasing in December if you can hold out that long, you'll get the best price and you'll know more about the tax credit around that time.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The $7500 tax credit is in place for the 2018 tax year. When you file your 2018 tax return in 2019 you will be able to use the credit for the PacHy you buy in 2018. For 2019 that could go away. Congress is looking hard at why they should incentivize this type of vehicle in light of the lack of contribution electric vehicles make to the highway infrastructure and maintenance. Hence the reason for discussion on an increase in the federal gas tax. Not saying this is right or wrong but I would not be surprised to see the Federal tax credit go away and let the individual states do what they think is best. I live in PA. and the state incentive for EV's was cut in half for 2017. I believe that is the current trend in a lot of states.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Filed tonight!

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you installed an EVSE in 2017 for your PacHy, check out IRS form 8911, which is the tax credit for alternative refueling stations. It was retroactively extended through 12-31-2017 with the new tax overhaul.
It appears from reading forum 8911 that it is designed for businesses who install alternative refueling stations. Line 10 states" Do not file this forum unless you are claiming a credit in line 9" and line 9 is for businesses, partnerships and s corporations. By my reading a private individual cannot use this deduction.

Excerpt from forum 8911 instructions:
"Use Form 8911 to figure your credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property you placed in service during your tax year. The credit attributable to depreciable property (refueling property used for business or investment purposes) is treated as a general business credit."

·
Registered
224 Posts
It appears from reading forum 8911 that it is designed for businesses who install alternative refueling stations. Line 10 states" Do not file this forum unless you are claiming a credit in line 9" and line 9 is for businesses, partnerships and s corporations. By my reading a private individual cannot use this deduction.

Excerpt from forum 8911 instructions:
"Use Form 8911 to figure your credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property you placed in service during your tax year. The credit attributable to depreciable property (refueling property used for business or investment purposes) is treated as a general business credit."
I must respectfully disagree. Reread part III of form 8911 (starting line 10). That section is the calculation for personal use. You can take up to 30% of the total cost of installation up to $1000. Businesses can get 30% up to $30,000. But the equipment must have been put into service on or before 12-31-2017.

https://electrek.co/2018/02/09/ev-charging-credit-extended-2018/

EDIT: Under "General Instructions", read "Amount of Credit": https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you're filing electronically, a lot of the software hasn't been updated to allow form 8911 to be used for individuals. H&R Block wasn't able to file mine without providing a pass-through tax id number, so they're still expecting it to be used for a business, and I've heard similar anecdotes about people e-filing with TurboTax or the IRS's online forms.

I checked IRS.gov - the link to the form is for 2017 but the link to instructions (on the same page) are still for 2016, so not even the IRS site is up to date.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I must respectfully disagree. Reread part III of form 8911 (starting line 10). That section is the calculation for personal use. You can take up to 30% of the total cost of installation up to $1000. Businesses can get 30% up to $30,000. But the equipment must have been put into service on or before 12-31-2017.

https://electrek.co/2018/02/09/ev-charging-credit-extended-2018/

EDIT: Under "General Instructions", read "Amount of Credit": https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf
I stand corrected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts