2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
I haven't tried to control the fan speed manually, I just rely on the auto setting. I'm sure its the same issue.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Touch the Climate icon. There is a Max AC setting. Touch that and a properly working Pacifica will freeze your whatsiz!

And it's likely that the whole system is not as clever as your $85K+ Lexus. Nothing else is.

·
Registered
646 Posts
MAX AC takes it out of AUTO. I never take the AC systems in any of my cars out of AUTO. With this type of system, that should not be necessary. If the temp is set to 70, and its 110 in the car, it should go to MAX AC automatically. The whole point of automatic climate control is that it should be automatic.

I have had many, many cars that were cheaper than the Pacifica with much more effective air conditioners.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
So now you find your 2020 to be unworthy . . .

I posted that so that folks who don't mind pressing a couple of buttons when it is super hot out can get some quick relief. It was not meant to trigger your standard response.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I find the HVAC system wanting, as I did in my 2017. If there's a workaround thats good, but it doesnt change the fact that its not a very well designed system and that people who find it doesnt cool very well are not seeing something wrong with their particular car necessarily. A workaround shouldn't be necessary. People aren't using it wrong by leaving it in AUTO as you imply, they are using it properly it just doesnt function as it should in AUTO mode.

I'm not a fanboy, its a minivan. If I find something about it that doesnt work well I'm going to point it out. I can like the van fine without thinking everything about it is the best thing that ever existed.

Try not to be so emotionally invested in it, (removed by admin) I just said the HVAC system on your minivan could be designed better. Nothing is perfect.

·
Registered
374 Posts
There must be an "incongruous baseline" issue at play here. People's expectations are different for how the system should perform based on previous experience and/or personal preference. Between the AUTO setting on the HVAC system and the ability to turn on the cooled driver seat, I've never had a situation where it took more than 3-4 minutes to get comfortably cool in my 2020 PacHy, even on some of the 90+ days we've had in Illinois this month. On a 1800 mile road trip in the first half of the month (where temps outside were in the high 80s and low 90s), when a request came from the rear to turn on the AC to cool things down, the subsequent request to turn the AC back off usually came within 10 minutes. IMHO the system works exceedingly well, especially considering the cubic volume involved. No complaints.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try not to be so emotionally invested in it, I just said the HVAC system on your minivan could be designed better. Nothing is perfect.
The amount of ridiculous fanboys who literally have it out for you, on this site, is unreal...

Unreal.

And Waldo is an incessant fanboy.

The A/C in the Pacifica is sub standard if you have EVER had a car with a great A/C system. I live in SoCal and the car takes longer than most to cool.

And I 100% agree about the stupidness of MAX bumping the car out of Auto mode.

And lets throw in every few months mine smells like mold because they failed to design the drain properly.

So anyone who says this A/C system is great, is ignorant. It works, sure, but not even close to great.

Another thread derailed by the fanboys as usual...

·
Registered
646 Posts
There must be an "incongruous baseline" issue at play here. People's expectations are different for how the system should perform based on previous experience and/or personal preference. Between the AUTO setting on the HVAC system and the ability to turn on the cooled driver seat, I've never had a situation where it took more than 3-4 minutes to get comfortably cool in my 2020 PacHy, even on some of the 90+ days we've had in Illinois this month. On a 1800 mile road trip in the first half of the month (where temps outside were in the high 80s and low 90s), when a request came from the rear to turn on the AC to cool things down, the subsequent request to turn the AC back off usually came within 10 minutes. IMHO the system works exceedingly well, especially considering the cubic area involved. No complaints.
Yours is a hybrid, too which may make a difference. Does it sit outside 24/7? Is it a dark color?

The issue with ours is its always outside, and always in the direct sun. So whenever we get into it in the summer, its always really, really hot. If I get in it and its been in a parking garage for instance, it cools better (but still not super great). Even letting it run remote started for 10 minutes before doesnt make it feel tremendously cooler.

In the summer, very rarely does it ever feel as cool inside as I would like, and I find I have to leave it set to say 65 to get it to where my other car might feel set to 72...

Its not a major deal, it wouldn't keep me from buying another one its just kinda what it is. Another thing I've noticed is when the ESS engages, the amount of cooling drops off huge. I just received the stopstartstop thing in the mail, going to install that and see if not having it cutting off at red lights means its more efficient cooling it it down. I'm also seriously considering ceramic tint including the windshield. The black dash soaks up heat, and even after driving it for an hour is still real hot to the touch, thinking that may play a role.

The amount of ridiculous fanboys who literally have it out for you, on this site, is unreal...

Unreal.

And Waldo is an incessant fanboy.

The A/C in the Pacifica is sub standard if you have EVER had a car with a great A/C system. I live in SoCal and the car takes longer than most to cool.

And I 100% agree about the stupidness of MAX bumping the car out of Auto mode.

And lets throw in every few months mine smells like mold because they failed to design the drain properly.

So anyone who says this A/C system is great, is ignorant. It works, sure, but not even close to great.

Another thread derailed by the fanboys as usual...
I know, it really is funny. I don't think I'm an unreasonable person, I mean...after all my issues I bought another one...I just call it like I see it. I can give you a list of things I dont like about the Pacifica, I can give you things I liked better in the 2017 vs the 2020, I can give you a list of things I don't like about my Lexus...so on and on

·
Registered
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L (built 9/2017)
264 Posts
I think most would agree that the HVAC system in the Pacifica is very capable of performing well. Auto mode could be improved so that inducing manual mode wouldn't be necessary as often to achieve the desired temperature. This complaint could easily be addressed with a software update including a revised/improved calibration for Auto mode operation.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's possible the hybrid functions slightly differently, though I'd be surprised if there's a huge difference. The ESS strikes me as an area where there might be a significant impact; I noticed that for sure when I had an ICE vehicle with ESS in Shanghai, which hits 100 regularly in the summer months. You "lose" those minutes when the ESS engages in terms of cooling. That might be part of the reason why you saw minimal cooling in your 25 minute test drive, I guess. Stoplights and so forth.

Mine is the granite color, so definitely a darker shade, comparable to your jazz blue, but it's true that I keep mine garaged. That said, the times where I've needed the cooling, it's been coming back to the car after its been in a parking lot under the sun for 45-60 minutes, so I think our baseline for temperature (assuming constant external temperature) would be the same in that scenario. I've got the S package, so everything inside is black, including the dash. But I can imagine that--if I left it sitting in the sun for 4-5 hours and then went to go somewhere (as you would if you didn't garage it at home)--that it would take longer to cool off.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think most would agree that the HVAC system in the Pacifica is very capable of performing well. Auto mode could be improved so that inducing manual mode wouldn't be necessary as often to achieve the desired temperature. This complaint could easily be addressed with a software update including a revised/improved calibration for Auto mode operation.
Going to manual really should never be necessary, the system should just operate in the background.

It's possible the hybrid functions slightly differently, though I'd be surprised if there's a huge difference. The ESS strikes me as an area where there might be a significant impact; I noticed that for sure when I had an ICE vehicle with ESS in Shanghai, which hits 100 regularly in the summer months. You "lose" those minutes when the ESS engages in terms of cooling. That might be part of the reason why you saw minimal cooling in your 25 minute test drive, I guess. Stoplights and so forth.

Mine is the granite color, so definitely a darker shade, comparable to your jazz blue, but it's true that I keep mine garaged. That said, the times where I've needed the cooling, it's been coming back to the car after its been in a parking lot under the sun for 45-60 minutes, so I think our baseline for temperature (assuming constant external temperature) would be the same in that scenario. I've got the S package, so everything inside is black, including the dash. But I can imagine that--if I left it sitting in the sun for 4-5 hours and then went to go somewhere (as you would if you didn't garage it at home)--that it would take longer to cool off.
I think the hybrid and the regular gas car are probably pretty different, once huge difference will be when the engine is stopped in the hybrid, HVAC output is not reduced like it is in the gas car when its under ESS.

Parking outside for 45-60 minutes it doesn't get as hot inside as it does when it sits out in the sun all the time, when your baseline is always 120+ degrees inside the car, performance is going to be different.

The way air conditioners really work is evacuating air, so if you have a really hot space, the system needs to get that hot air out of the car before it can effectively cool. I have always felt this is the issue with the Pacifica.

I have had many cars though that have sat in that same spot the same way, and I didnt think any of them felt like they didnt cool well the way I do the Pacifica.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Going to manual really should never be necessary, the system should just operate in the background.
I agree with you, but the reality is you'll never please everybody with a fixed calibration. That is why I carefully worded my previous post "necessary as often." Never means never, not rarely or once in a while.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I agree with you, but the reality is you'll never please everybody with a fixed calibration. That is why I carefully worded my previous post "necessary as often." Never means never, not rarely or once in a while.
I would disagree that a fixed calibration doesnt exist that can please everybody. Automatic climate control has been around a long, long time. Our first car with automatic climate control was a 1990 model year, and it wasn't new then by any stretch, it dates back to the 60s. Chrysler just hasn't done a very good job of it here. They have in other products, my Jeeps were fine.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Like I said before, I agree with you that auto mode needs some improvement. It's impossible to please everybody. That's a fact of life in general. I think it's laughable that you continue to argue to the contrary by saying your opinion accurately represents everybody else's too.

·
Registered
White 2020 touring + S - 20" tires -all black inside
26 Posts
OK OK... next week Im crossing the USA in a 2020 touring L+ all 3500 miles in 6 days.
I will report back how the AC functioned, of course it will be my opinion, for what its worth....
HOWEVER... I did the same trip in a 2019 dodge grand caravan 2 weeks ago, so I have something to compare it to, and Im a picky ol fart
Stay Tuned......

·
Registered
646 Posts
Like I said before, I agree with you that auto mode needs some improvement. It's impossible to please everybody. That's a fact of life in general. I think it's laughable that you continue to argue to the contrary by saying your opinion accurately represents everybody else's too.
Not sure where I said my opinion accurately represents everybody else's, if you're happy with the HVAC that's great. I've owned a lot of different cars and posted on forums for all of them, the vast majority of those forums don't have complaints posted about the efficiency of the AC. I think whether or not the van sits outside plays a big role in whether people find it adequate or not. I just don't see how someone could drive either of the vans I've had after they have been roasting in the sun for a full day and feel the AC was doing its job. When you say "you can't please everyone" you're writing off this complaint as just an "opinion" thing, I have a hard time believing anybody is going to think the better part of an hour is a reasonable time for a modern car to cool off. I can respect that other people aren't routinely getting into a van as hot as mine always is and thus they don't have the same issue...but that doesnt mean the system is designed properly.

Installed the engine start stop today, and then drove the car. No difference, 35 minutes into the drive the van was still hot and not comfortable inside. 20 minute drive back it started to feel like it was cooling down. I would say that there's something wrong with it, but my 2017 was the same way (dealer had looked at it and determined it was fine) so I'm confident its just how the HVAC in this vehicle is.

So my next step will be to try and keep the van from getting as hot and reduce the solar load to make it easier on the AC. I'm going to have ceramic tint done to the whole van including the windshield which should help.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure where I said my opinion accurately represents everybody else's, if you're happy with the HVAC that's great. I've owned a lot of different cars and posted on forums for all of them, the vast majority of those forums don't have complaints posted about the efficiency of the AC. I think whether or not the van sits outside plays a big role in whether people find it adequate or not. I just don't see how someone could drive either of the vans I've had after they have been roasting in the sun for a full day and feel the AC was doing its job. When you say "you can't please everyone" you're writing off this complaint as just an "opinion" thing, I have a hard time believing anybody is going to think the better part of an hour is a reasonable time for a modern car to cool off. I can respect that other people aren't routinely getting into a van as hot as mine always is and thus they don't have the same issue...but that doesnt mean the system is designed properly.

Installed the engine start stop today, and then drove the car. No difference, 35 minutes into the drive the van was still hot and not comfortable inside. 20 minute drive back it started to feel like it was cooling down. I would say that there's something wrong with it, but my 2017 was the same way (dealer had looked at it and determined it was fine) so I'm confident its just how the HVAC in this vehicle is.

So my next step will be to try and keep the van from getting as hot and reduce the solar load to make it easier on the AC. I'm going to have ceramic tint done to the whole van including the windshield which should help.
I think the system is more than capable of cooling the van. I just feel like Auto mode seems a bit lazy and needs to be set lower then it should need to be at times to compensate; particularly if the sun is shining on you through the windows. It can and should be improved IMO, but I don't think it's as bad you are suggesting either. I'll just agree to disagree with you at this point.

Either something is wrong with your van or you're not utilizing the system to it's full potential. What are the outdoor temps? Humidity? Are all of your vents open? What are the front passenger and rear zones set to? Even on the hottest humid days Iowa can dish up (95°+ with near 100% relative humidity, arguably the worst case scenario with regard to A/C efficiency) our van is satisfactorily comfortable after 10 minutes of driving and temp is stable within 15-20 minutes. This is after sitting in the sun for 8+ hours, then using Auto mode set at 69° with the all zones synced. We never use remote start to cool the van beforehand. I hate hot weather and sweat very easily, so believe me when I say I want the van to cool down as fast as possible. Summer days are usually pretty humid once the temps get above the mid-80s here.

I don't know if you have kids or not, but something I do that I think helps quite a bit is opening both sliding doors when getting the kids in their seats. This vents a lot of hot air before getting in and driving.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We do all of that. Its set on AUTO, today it was set to 67 degrees. It was 92 degrees outside. All the vents are open. All the zones are set to sync, so they are all set to 67. The doors are open to get the kids in the van. Today all the doors were open for a protracted period while I installed the start stop module prior to driving off.

Every car I have ever owned has had automatic temperature control, 13+ cars. I know how to use it I promise.

This is not a major deal, it just kind of is how the van is. Like I said, both of my Pacificas were the same so I don't think there's an issue with the van.

"The temp needs to be set lower than it should be at times to compensate" thats the exact issue, mine is the same way. If you have to set it to 65 to make it 75 inside, its not designed properly. On every other car I have ever owned...setting it to 65 makes it 65. It doesnt in this car. In my Lexus, the temp stays set at 70 and never needs to be adjusted...

·
Registered
2019 Pacifica Touring L
68 Posts
I think the system is more than capable of cooling the van. I just feel like Auto mode seems a bit lazy and needs to be set lower then it should need to be at times to compensate; particularly if the sun is shining on you through the windows. ...........
Exactly. For me, it is simply an annoyance having to adjust the temp up and down a few degrees to compensate for changing outside temps.

·
Registered
264 Posts
We do all of that. Its set on AUTO, today it was set to 67 degrees. It was 92 degrees outside. All the vents are open. All the zones are set to sync, so they are all set to 67. The doors are open to get the kids in the van. Today all the doors were open for a protracted period while I installed the start stop module prior to driving off.

Every car I have ever owned has had automatic temperature control, 13+ cars. I know how to use it I promise.

This is not a major deal, it just kind of is how the van is. Like I said, both of my Pacificas were the same so I don't think there's an issue with the van.

"The temp needs to be set lower than it should be at times to compensate" thats the exact issue, mine is the same way. If you have to set it to 65 to make it 75 inside, its not designed properly. On every other car I have ever owned...setting it to 65 makes it 65. It doesnt in this car. In my Lexus, the temp stays set at 70 and never needs to be adjusted...
Let me clarify. If "35 minutes into the drive the van was still hot and not comfortable inside" happened to me, I'd be beating down the door of the nearest dealership for them to fix it. I certainly wouldn't accept it as "it just kind of is how the van is" just because your 2017 behaved similarly.

There's a huge difference between me saying it feels a bit lazy at times (read: >80% of the time it's fine) and "35 minutes into the drive the van was still hot and not comfortable inside." The former is a minor complaint. The latter is a problem needs to be fixed. Decide which statement applies to you and take appropriate action.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts