2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The incorrect tire label may cause customer confusion, potentially resulting in vehicle overloading, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V375000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

Components EQUIPMENT

Potential Number of Units Affected 100

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2017 Pacifica Plug-in Hybrid Electric vehicles (PHEV). The tire placard on the affected vehicles incorrectly lists the seating capacity as 6 occupants rather then 7 occupants, with a combined weight of 950lbs rather than 1,100lbs. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 110, "Tire Selection and Rims."

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace tire placard label, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin July 28, 2017. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is T37.

Associated Documents

Non-Compliance 573 Report/FMVSS 110

Recall Acknowledgement

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm confused. They under-reported the capacity as 6 vs 7 and 950 vs 1100 pounds? How is that a safety issue?

Or were the related tire recommendations based on those lower figures?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Purely a guess on my part, but I'd guess that in the NHTSA's mind, it is a safety issue in that someone could think they're ok to replace the tires with ones only rated for the lower weight (but not rated for the proper combined weight), resulting in an underrated tire for the vehicle's actual capacity. I doubt that the tire choice that Chrysler has made was to (barely) fulfill the 950 lb rating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts