2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

2017 Pacifica Major Issues

18K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  blackbird 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I would like to share my experience thus far with my 2017 Chrysler Pacifica which just hit 27,000 miles:

The major mechanical problems began in April 2018 and are detailed below:

April 4, 2018- We were on vacation and could smell something burning. We took it to the service department at a local dealership. They reported they could not find a code and the vehicle was in good working condition. Total days in the shop: one day. (misdiagnosed; later told the smell was the auxiliary battery)

June 30, 2018-Driving back from out of town we stopped at a restaurant for lunch. When we tried to leave the vehicle would not start. It was 95 degrees outside. Contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance for a tow truck. After two hours the tow truck did not arrive. Contacted Chrysler Roadside Assistance again. Advised the tow truck company had cancelled the call and failed to notify Chrysler. Contacted AAA. Two hours later AAA tow truck arrived and transported the van to our local dealership. Diagnosis-bad auxiliary battery in the start/stop system. Also complained that transmission is occasionally hard shifting and slamming into gear. Dealership could not duplicate. Got car back on July 6th. Total days in shop: seven days.

October 23, 2018-Vehicle in shop due to bad right front strut. Complained again about transmission hard shifting occasionally and slamming into gear. Dealership could not duplicate. Got car back October 26, 2018. Total days in shop: four days

November 14, 2018- Vehicle in shop due to engine trouble. Replaced Tappets in both banks as well as head gaskets due to collapsed intake cam shaft lifters. Picked up the vehicle November 23rd. Got into vehicle and the check engine light and blind spot illumination lights on. Left vehicle again. Contacted back later in day with diagnosis of intake air temperature sensor not properly seated and reset obstacle detection system. Total days in shop: ten days.

November 23, 2018, one hour after pick up from dealership-Vehicle in park idling at a retail establishment. Symbol for automatic start/stop came on for 8 seconds, check engine light began flashing, and vehicle shook violently. Tried to move the vehicle to a different parking location. Vehicle shuttered and had very little power. After a couple of minutes check engine light stopped flashing and vehicle ran semi normal. I was able to get the vehicle home.

November 23, 2018-After researching the internet about the seriousness of a flashing check engine light, vehicle was towed back to the dealer. Was notified on November 26, 2018 that the vehicle needs a new phaser for the cam. Parts are on order.

The car seems to be literally falling apart.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing info about your van. Sorry to hear of your troubles. If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, build date (on driver's door), etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP (click red letters next to LogOut on computer), it will show up on each post and might help others assist you.

As for the hard shift, resetting the transmission adaptations helped my van. Even though I've had to have that done twice, it runs smoothly for awhile. My van is at 30,000 miles. Here are some posts you can read if interested.
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/525966-post48.html
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/356586-post2.html
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/515626-post34.html

#3 ·
Wow. That’s too many troubles for one new car. Don’t know if it’ll fall under a lemon law in your state. Did you ask Chrysler corporate to replace the van? If not, that would be a start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I have checked on the lemon law which in my state is very vague and can be left up to interpretation. I PM'd Customer Care on this forum and sent a letter to the General Manager at the Dealership. Should I mail a letter to Chrysler Corporate?

#6 ·
The battery problem should have been diagnosed at the first trip to the dealership. @SciTchr has some good advice on the transmission. The engine problems: I don't recall anybody else on the Forum having tappet problems. As far as your next step, yes, do all you can do to get your situation remedied. Letters might help, although slow process.

#12 ·
While a letter is nice, it is not binding and Chrysler can simply ignore it or not follow-through on it. If you go the dispute route though NCDS, it's as official as it gets at a clear process that they HAVE to follow. No, it might not get you the outcome you want, but it just might and it's prescribed and a decision is rendered by a panel of industry and consumer members and not just Chrysler. Through that process, you can ask for a buy-back, replacement or extended warranty.

#5 ·
Usually there are attorneys that specialize in lemon law practice. I’d look on the internet or yellow pages and reach out to one. Should be no cost to you. In some states the automaker pays attorney fees too.

Are you using the same dealer for all this work? Your write up gives the impression the dealer is both slow and does not do high quality work.

#7 ·
You are a candidate for the NCDS dispute process. This is a mandated tool the government requires that automakers provide to arbitrate vehicle quality issues. The instructions for it are in your owners manual, but also can be found here: http://www.ncdsusa.org/consumers/automotive-warranty-disputes/

I've been through it, and would be happy to answer any questions. Don't wait too long to begin this process.

#11 ·
I made a claim for a buyback with Chrysler Customer care and within 24 hours that claim was denied. I figured they would at least wait until they got the diagnosis from the repair facility.

#13 ·
New update. They are replacing the cam shaft and oil control valve. I am a bit concerned that there might have been permanent damage to the engine based on these major parts failing.

#16 ·
Hello all. Just wanted to provide an update. We are at 32 days and counting since the car has been at the dealership. The replacement of the cam shaft and oil control valve did not work and they are still receiving the same code which I assume is an engine misfire. They are seeking the assistance of Chrysler engineering. Total loaner vehicle cost to Chrysler thus far: $1,050.

#17 ·
Replacing all those good parts...sounds like you’ve got a dealer problem as much as a van problem. Incompetent service departments seem to be less common at dealer franchises, but they happen.

I’d want my van out of that shop as soon as possible and into another dealer that knows what they are doing.

#18 ·
If the NCDS complaint fails, perhaps OP can negotiate a 10 year/100k mile powertrain warranty.

#19 ·
I too am in this uphill battle with crystler. My van has 6,500 miles on in, is LEASED and has been in the dealership service department 5 times in the last 2 months for the same saftey hazard problem (see detailed post in problems form) for a total of 30 days. I have been put thru the absolute runaround now with two dealerships and numeours calls to Crystler (doesn’t) Cares. It’s in your best interest to seek legal help ASAP. Crystler doesn’t care nor listen to the common pain

#20 ·
Sorry to hear about your experience. Looks like you got a lemon. You should write a letter to Chrysler corporate by registered post explaining your issues and hopefully they will intervene.

Now, are you purposely misspelling Chrysler, or don’t care, or just ignorant. At least you should have corrected your username. Is Crystler a word even ....????
I hope your problems get resolved soon to your satisfaction. Is @ChryslerCares involved?

#21 ·
Hello all,

Sorry it has been a long time since I have provided an update. The car remains in the shop, it has been over two months now. I again requested through Chrysler Cares to repurchase the car after I hit the 30 business days I was told needed to pass before it would be reconsidered. I was then told it had over 24,000 so it would not be escalated and to seek lemon law or arbitration. The dealership seemed frustrated as they were required to follow Chrysler Engineering guidance which was to try this and try that. I have no idea why they did not just replace the engine as the rental car alone is costing over $1k a month.

Now the good news... I won my arbitration against Chrysler and they have 30 days to repurchase the vehicle. I was contacted yesterday by Stericycle and have sent in the paperwork. It has taken a while to go through the arbitration process but has been worth it as I believe Chrysler would have strung me along indefinitely.

#22 ·
Final update: The third party company FCA uses to buyback lemons Stericycle was actually a pleasure to deal with. They were friendly and efficient. I met with their representative today at the dealership to sign the paperwork turn over the keys and collect the check. The van still has the check engine light on despite almost three months of trying to fix it. The representative said the vehicle will be sold as is at auction with a title indicating it is a lemon. I bought a 2019 Ford Expedition last week and hope to have better luck.

#24 ·
I thought you could have waited till the brand new Ford Explorer hits the stores, but I guess the Expedition is also new and probably nicer.
Congratulations on your new ride.

#23 · (Edited)
Amazing! Glad you got satisfaction but I am always amazed that they cannot build cars consistently well. Why are there cars like this one? It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the meetings or operations in Auburn Hills or wherever these affairs are discussed.

Hope your Ford delights you. Best wishes.

#25 ·
I've been through two lemons over the last couple decades, one Ford and one GM and for anyone reading this, Chrysler's response is pretty common. There's tons of people upset at multiple repairs or things they think are serious and unfortunately the automakers don't have unlimited funds to buy back vehicles out of the goodness of their hearts just by asking them nicely.

In this case it's pretty clear the van was defective, the dealer and/or troubleshooting diagnostics weren't up to snuff, or a combination. Glad the arbitration process worked out for you. Just in case the vehicle is out back into service after being fixed, if you don't mind it might be good to post the VIN for future reference if someone buys it and does a search to see the history.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.