2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2018 Pacifica, 88k miles. I'm having this same issue. @ChryslerCares, I'd really appreciate some help here. This seems like a defect that Chrysler should address, no?
To be clear, I've confirmed it's either a head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. But I'm not about to pay an arm and a leg to find out since this is a known defect with this vehicle. @ChryslerCares?

·
Administrator
2,005 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
gas
Trim:
Touring L Plus
To be clear, I've confirmed it's either a head gasket, cracked head, or cracked block. But I'm not about to pay an arm and a leg to find out since this is a known defect with this vehicle. @ChryslerCares?
Unfortunately, as you have no warranty left due to mileage, your only option is to pay up and hope Chrysler finally accepts responsibility and reimburses you. Other wise you could be sitting with a vehicle you cannot use while you wait for who knows how long until Chrysler steps up to cover this problem being seen with these engines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2018 Pacifica Hybrid here, only has 38000 miles on it, and CEL OBD leads me to this dreaded cylinder misfire thread. I may be under powertrain warranty, but I am sure they are going to just replace the coil pack and plug and call it a day (and charge me for it), and won't tell me the real problem (cracked head gasket?) until I am out of warranty. So discouraging. And being a hybrid engine it's not even on most of the time...

·
Registered
2017 Limited
92 Posts
I've had three ignition packs fail at different times, and each time I received a code for a misfire on the effected cylinder. So when the pack on cylinder 1 died, I got a code for misfire on cylinder 1. Same for cylinders 5 and then 6. I also experienced identical symptoms each time: Running rough, especially under acceleration, check engine light flashing, and an occasional ding.

The first two died within weeks of each other, in the 70,000 mile range. The third one died a little after 90,000.

Cylinders 1 and 5 were easy to get to, but cylinder 6 is located in the front bank of cylinders, under the intake. When that one died, I went ahead and replaced the remaining four original packs and plugs. I was able to do the job myself as a very amateur mechanic in about 4 hours following along with youtube videos.

FYI, at the time the packs would have been a little over $100 from the dealer. But at my local Advance Auto "Standard" brand packs were available for $36 each. But when I opened the boxes I was surprised to see they contained Mopar packs that appeared to be identical to my OEM packs, with the same Chrysler markings and numbers, and stamped "Made in Brazil".

For anybody who wants to do it yourself, my biggest snag was finding one last bolt on the bottom right of the engine that was keeping me from removing the intake. It ended up being hidden by the two big electrical plugs on the bottom right side of the engine. It's located in the "V" between the two plugs, and is much easier to see and get to if you can figure out how to unplug the plugs (easier said than done!) It's bolt #2 in this illustration:
Motor vehicle Font Auto part Engineering Automotive lighting

The bolts in the middle (already removed in the illustration) and at the bottom needed removed, but it was actually not necessary to remove the nut on the stud at the top (#1 in the illustration). When I pulled the intake off, the bracket just came along for the ride. Also as a tip, removing the batteries (main and aux in my case) gave me better access to that side of the engine.

·
Registered
2017 Limited
92 Posts
I got a call in to them this morning to find out what was going on. The tech told me they'd swapped the plugs around and confirmed the code followed the plug swap and they were sure it was the plugs. I asked how much...$600 and change. No warranty coverage. I couldn't believe it. I asked how much they were charging for plugs. $110. Another $100 for the diagnostic fee. 2.4 hour book charge at $118, and somehow the rest was shop supplies....
I would want evidence that the plug was the culprit, because all three times I had a cylinder misfire code it turned out to be the ignition pack, and the spark plugged looked normal. I wouldn't be surprised if you pulled the manifold off and saw that one of the coil packs looked newer than the others, indicating that the problem actually had been a coil pack, meaning that everything would have been covered under warranty.

Here's what a new pack looks like beside an old one:
Watch Sports equipment Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Helmet

·
Registered
5 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Great. I am having the same issue with my 2018 Limited w/ 51k miles. Engine was hesitating big time while pulling out of garage this week and tripped codes P0300 and P0303 yesterday. Back in my old Neon day's, this meant swap out the stock Champion plugs (10 minutes & $4). Found this thread as I thought since plugs are 100k interval nowadays that this had to be something else that would be covered under my extended warranty. This is bad if everyone is having this issue though. C'mon Chrysler!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Model Year:
Pacifica 2018
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Had a similar issue with misfires (2018 with 50k). Was originally misdiagnosed as a spark plug issue, which they swapped out. Week later had a misfire in another cylinder. Root cause was eventually determined to be a leaking head gasket which was causing coolant to leak into the cylinders. Had that replaced and seem to be all good now. Chrysler Cares was great about the entire thing. The head gasket issue was covered under warranty and once that was determined to be the root cause they issued a refund for the earlier spark plug swap as well.

Check to see if you're losing coolant, if so that may be your issue.
I came across your post because I am having similar issue. 2018 Limited, 65.7K miles. Still under extended warranty. P0303 misfire. Dealer tech diagnosed as coolant leaking into cylinder. Conducted an engine tear down and found bad head gasket.

I am curious what your process was to get chrylser /mopar to cover warranty? The dealership where my van is at had an inspector come down to file report, essentially claims adjuster. Then I am assuming that goes to chrysler and they determine that issue is under warranty.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had purchased a 75k warranty when I bought my 2017 Touring L-Plus new. I've had it in for the hard shifting at low speed issues (still a concern at 82k miles now), bubbling paint on the hood (had it in TWICE for that...sheesh!), and a multitude of other little issues over the past 5 years. Paid off this sucker in July and was hoping I'd have 5 more years of service out of it before I had to buy another vehicle. NOPE!

When I took it in at about 74k miles the check engine light had come on the day before. The service manager checked it and said it was an evap system code, ran his finger around the inside of the fuel filler hole, and the code disappeared. He assured me all was well. A few weeks later the code came back, but now I'm over 75k so my extended warranty is done. I call the dealership and it's weeks and weeks before I can get an appt. I take it to an independent shop.

The independent shop tells me that while they see the evap code, the bigger issue is the misfire on #6. They tell me that they have to take off the intake manifold and it's a giant PITA and I'll need a new gasket, too. Anyway, over the course of the next month they replace all injector coils, all spark plugs, 2 more coils (maybe a bad batch of MOPAR brand they speculate???), etc. FIVE times I'm back there. Misfire codes on #1, #3, and #6 at various times. They consider that it's a bad ECM. Car still runs rough. They do a smoke test and there's no leak. They replace the purge valve and the evap cannister. I STILL HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. ARGH!!!!!!!!

Today the manager calls me and tells me that he knows I'm frustrated. They want me to leave my car with them during Thanksgiving week so they can tear down the back half of the engine and look at the rocker arms and cam. They say they'll do it for free labor and ask if I'll pay for the parts if those things are found to be bad.

Now, I'm reading the this thread and think I need to tell them to just forget they ever knew me, I put a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light, and I take it to Carmax and sell it as fast as I can.

This car has a nightmare since I bought it. So disappointing, because except for the engine and the transmission, it has everything I want in a vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Great. I am having the same issue with my 2018 Limited w/ 51k miles. Engine was hesitating big time while pulling out of garage this week and tripped codes P0300 and P0303 yesterday. Back in my old Neon day's, this meant swap out the stock Champion plugs (10 minutes & $4). Found this thread as I thought since plugs are 100k interval nowadays that this had to be something else that would be covered under my extended warranty. This is bad if everyone is having this issue though. C'mon Chrysler!
Before I take this into the dealer, I wanted to take a quick look at plug #3 since it’s pretty easy to access. The threads looks a little juicy. I’m thinking just changing plugs aren’t going to fix this issue. Any suggestions what’s causing this?
Gas Screw Household hardware Nickel Auto part

·
Registered
40 Posts
Model Year:
Pacifica 2018
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Check your coolant level. Mine had a head gasket failure and coolant was leaking into cylinder three. The diagnostic the mechanic did was using bore scope to look into cylinder 3. The cylinder was very clean looking from coolant steam that leaked in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Check your coolant level. Mine had a head gasket failure and coolant was leaking into cylinder three. The diagnostic the mechanic did was using bore scope to look into cylinder 3. The cylinder was very clean looking from coolant steam that leaked in.
Thanks for the suggestion. Coolant is at least 1.5” low in the reservoir. I’ll make a dealer appointment this week to check it out further.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Model Year:
Pacifica 2018
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Based on my experience and other posters on this site, the coolant should not be that unless there is a leak somewhere. The dealer mechanic can do a pressure test on the coolant or bore scope the cylinders showing misfire. Since you are under 60k miles, im assuming you are still under warranty. Mine was 66k miles but I had the extended warranty to 100k. I finally got a call back from my case manager at chrysler and my new engine should be delivered to dealership Mon or Tues. Hoping to get my vehicle back by end of next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
2017 Chrysler Pacifica here with 49000 miles, just out of power train warranty. Wanted to share my story, if if helps others. Same issue, cylinder 3 misfire. Final diagnosis after tear down is that they needed to replace they upper head cylinder. They state there is no warpage, however this is the diagnosis, I assume because they know what is needed to fix this issue. What scares me is that they are only fixing the right upper head, and leaving the original left upper head. I cant really argue much more than I already have about needing both due to a likely manufacturer defect, or a while new engine for that matter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Model Year:
Gas / Hybrid:
Gas
Trim:
Limited
Ouch. Thanks for the share, more things to consider. A couple days ago, I decided to top off the coolant, marked it with tape and swapped the #3 coil with the #5 coil. Just wanted to do my own doublecheck before the dealer hits me with a $150 diagnostic fee (warranty or not) to not test anything and then another $700 to replace the plugs. I cleared the code and it hasn’t came back on yet. Keeping a super close eye on it for now. First sign of another problem, without a smoking gun of what’s wrong, it’s going in.

Sucks, but I haven’t been trusting the dealers much lately. With the way Chrysler has been to me and after the experience I had at the Toyota last week, I can’t help but think the dealers are trying to make up for their lower sales volumes by gouging in the service department.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts