2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner
101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Same problem. Jolting has gotten MUCH worse over time (currently at 56,000 miles). 6 months ago I moved to a steeper hill than the hill I lived on when I purchased the van. Horrible delay and jolting EVERY time I leave the driveway and I realized the delay is actually getting to be dangerous so I took it in to the Irvine Tuttle Click dealer for this issue. Took them 4 days to even look at it, even though I had a scheduled appointment, and then I left town so it has been at dealer 1.5 weeks. Got home last night and just received a call this morning telling me that there is nothing they can do to fix it because it is operating as it is designed to, and that it is designed to get worse over time. Seriously do not understand this answer at all and will be talking to the service manager when I pick it up. Unless the manager has a very different story for me, my new advice to everyone that comments on all the good things about my car will be unless you feel like buying a disposable car at the cost of $60,000+ don’t even look one. This was my first Chrysler and it will be my last. So upset right now.
This sounds like a very frustrating situation, Skish and we do apologize. Have you tried bringing your vehicle to another dealer for diagnosis? Although I cannot guarantee a different outcome, it may be an option for your situation. If you'd like any assistance locating a dealer, send us a private message.

Kate
ChryslerCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
The dealership quickly diagnosed my transmission issue with the help of Chrysler and provided repairs. I have a Pacifica built in May of 2017. It currently has about 28,000 miles. Within the past 500 miles there has been a thump of the transmission between 35 and 40 mph at low rpm when shifting. I believe this to be between gears 3-4, but I could be wrong. After being at the dealership for less than 4 hours they had consulted with the technicians at Chrysler. The Chrysler technicians reported that they had poor luck repairing the transmission, therefore we were to get a new transmission. This was under warranty and we were provided a rental. It should be finished after this weekend for a total of 3 bussiness days at the dealership. I'm happy they handled it quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This sounds like a very frustrating situation, Skish and we do apologize. Have you tried bringing your vehicle to another dealer for diagnosis? Although I cannot guarantee a different outcome, it may be an option for your situation. If you'd like any assistance locating a dealer, send us a private message.

Kate
ChryslerCares
The dealer/service center assistant manager stated that it is a design problem that has continued with the current models and that there is no fix, so when I stated that my next call would be an attorney, he referred me to Chrysler customer care. I just got off the phone after opening a case with CCC. I expect a call back early next week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The dealer/service center assistant manager stated that it is a design problem that has continued with the current models and that there is no fix, so when I stated that my next call would be an attorney, he referred me to Chrysler customer care. I just got off the phone after opening a case with CCC. I expect a call back early next week.
I had these problems, they claimed they could do nothing. Then just before 60k they discovered it was the transmission control module. put in a new one and updated the transmission software and it fixed that problem just in time for the next one. In all I have had to get both the batteries replaced, a new transmission control modulator card, a sensor, and my favorite a brand new oil pump that took a almost a month for them to get. I can't forget to give honorable mention to the multiple sets of broken headphones and the headphone jack that eats headphone plugs on the passenger side. Very glad I had foresight to buy a lifetime wrap warranty that can transfer to the next owner.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The last few posts absolutely sum up why it's so effing maddening. THERE IS NO CONSISTENT RESPONSE FROM FCA ON HOW TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM!

Rando Cardashian was apparently able to quickly get the transmission replacement OK'ed by the powers that be.

CassK's dealer determined a transmission control module is all that was needed.

Our dealer said it only happens because it's cold out (a lie) and that anything further needed to have a specific fault code logged in the vehicle, and/or the jolt had to happen with the regional tech support team in the car.

ChryslerCares has been fairly worthless in mediating between us and the dealership and corporate.

So it's on you/us as owners to be able to find a dealer that has a stronger connection to whatever the warranty claim process is? And even then.... what's the guarantee that the new transmission won't crap out.

And Chrysler also seems to think that continuing to take the vehicle into the dealer for adaptive transmission re-learning flashes all the time is acceptable since it's "covered under warranty". Who the heck has the time to keep going to the dealer for a non-fix?

·
Registered
2017 Pacifica Touring L (9/2016 Build)
2,508 Posts
Update on my van's 15 mph jolt that recurred and was temporarily fixed every 10,000 miles or so. Fixes tried were resetting transmission adaptations and clutch pack timing. (Some info in posts 66 & 89.) The 15 mph jolt events returned for the 4th time before 54,000 miles. This time Chrysler techs advised that the transmission be replaced. (It was done under warranty.) I just got the van back so I will see if the replacement transmission does any better than the original one.
The FCA number I had called was 1 (866) 275-1420 if you want a number to call.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This time Chrysler techs advised that the transmission be replaced. (It was done under warranty.) I just got the van back so I will see if the replacement transmission does any better than the original one.
The FCA number I had called was 1 (866) 275-1420 if you want a number to call.
Do you have any feel for whether they only replaced the transmission because you were persistent or if it is because they have changed their policy for this fault? I would sure like to get this repaired in my vehicle which still has a little over a year and 10,000 miles on the powertrain warranty. It's been over 6 months since I last visited the dealership, but at the time my takeaway was that it is a common problem with the transmission that Chrysler is aware of but they didn't have a solution and weren't going to replace transmissions.

·
Registered
2021 Pinnacle PHEV
69 Posts
I have had the same issues with mine. Rough shift from 3 to 4 between 40 and 45 mph. Set up a case with Chrysler Cares and returned to dealer in June for another diagnostic visit. I believe this is number 5. They reported they could not duplicate the issue. They only put 1 mile on the odometer so I guess a ride around the block is a test drive. they did report that new firmware was developed and they applied it to the transmission. Overall improvement in drive-ability. It still bumps in shifts once in a while but it seems it is not as severe and happens less often. I still wish I could get this fixed. If I trade it in and the sales manager catches the problem it would definitely give them an excuse to lower the value of the vehicle. I usually sell my cars direct because they are usually in outstanding condition and i can get a a lot more money then i would trading them in. I would not feel right about the sale unless I disclosed the issue to a potential buyer. So basically unless I get the transmission fixed I'm stuck with a devalued vehicle. Truthfully if my Pacifica burned to the ground, i would go out and buy another one just like it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Do you have any feel for whether they only replaced the transmission because you were persistent or if it is because they have changed their policy for this fault? I would sure like to get this repaired in my vehicle which still has a little over a year and 10,000 miles on the powertrain warranty. It's been over 6 months since I last visited the dealership, but at the time my takeaway was that it is a common problem with the transmission that Chrysler is aware of but they didn't have a solution and weren't going to replace transmissions.
I think the transmission was replaced because someone from Chrysler headquarters was involved in the process. Yes, I was persistent in trying to get a resolution, but assumed they would reset adaptations every 10,000 miles if that was their only option. Once reset I had good driving for quite awhile and was happy. I will see if replacing the transmission permanently solves the problem.

Before taking the van in, someone from FCA called me and told me to have the service department drop the transmission pan to check for fluid debris vs just a test drive. I gave the service department that person's phone number. The dealer service department updated TCM, checked pan, thought fluid looked normal, planned to change transmission valve body, later called by Chrysler and told to change transmission. (Van was there 16 days.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had similar issues with our 17'. We took it to the dealership where they flashed our vic but also replaced a valve inside of the transmission. We haven't had issues since. Apparently this is a known issue - a valve inside the transmission malfunctions and impacts shift timing.

I think the transmission was replaced because someone from Chrysler headquarters was involved in the process. Yes, I was persistent in trying to get a resolution, but assumed they would reset adaptations every 10,000 miles if that was their only option. Once reset I had good driving for quite awhile and was happy. I will see if replacing the transmission permanently solves the problem.

Before taking the van in, someone from FCA called me and told me to have the service department drop the transmission pan to check for fluid debris vs just a test drive. I gave the service department that person's phone number. The dealer service department updated TCM, checked pan, thought fluid looked normal, planned to change transmission valve body, later called by Chrysler and told to change transmission. (Van was there 16 days.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe you're talking about the transmission valve body. I've seen that mentioned elsewhere on the forums. The dealership would not consider replacing it and wouldn't even provide me with an estimate for doing it. I think you just have to be lucky enough to find the right dealership that is knowledgeable and confident enough to do it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I believe you're talking about the transmission valve body. I've seen that mentioned elsewhere on the forums. The dealership would not consider replacing it and wouldn't even provide me with an estimate for doing it. I think you just have to be lucky enough to find the right dealership that is knowledgeable and confident enough to do it.
Have you tried calling the FCA number I mentioned in post #106?

I've also printed info from the forum to take with me in case it might help. Your van is a similar vintage as mine, so maybe there are some VINs that might get similar recommendations if you check with FCA.

·
Registered
23 Posts
To be honest, I have not, but I may try at some point. There is still some time until the powertrain warranty is up and I have been holding out hope that Chrysler will acknowledge the issue and I won't have to fight for repair. Unfortunately there is now a nail in one of the tires, so I am researching replacements before the jolting transmission becomes the least of my worries...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We've had our Pacifica since Feb '17 and have generally enjoyed the car except for the constant issues with the transmission. It seems to be a similar problem to what others have reported with the transmission seeming to downshift suddenly when accelerating from a standing start. It's a violent jolt / clunk that has no place in a vehicle with 25K miles. We've been in and out of the service department for the usual recalls and "transmission adaptation" fixes and it still continues to be a major issue. It's gotten so bad that we are looking into cutting our losses and getting another vehicle, even though this van checks all our boxes (minus reliability). My wife can't stand to drive it anymore and I don't really blame her as it makes you question pulling out in front of traffic. This is our first Chrysler product and as it currently stands will be the last.

When we take it to the dealer we get the standard, "can't duplicate" answers and a day lost without a vehicle (at least 3 times) as they refuse to give a loaner. I've read there are issues with some of the ZF9's that only replacing them outright can solve and while I'm not excited about needing a new transmission in a new vehicle I believe it's the only recourse. How can I get my dealer to get on board with this given the repeated inability to fix the issue. I either need help or a new car!

*sorry for such a long and rambling first post, just looking for guidance.
Hi there! I have been having the Same problem with my 2017 gas Pacifica. When driving from a stop, i get to around 10- 15mph and it seems to lurch forward as though we have just been rear ended. It seems to me from what i have read on this forum that the shifter has problems. I am so frustrated and each time I take it in they cannot duplicate the shifting problem. I am so worried driving on busy Southern California freeways. People drive closely behind and when I cannot count on my acceleration to consistently work, I am scared of getting rear ended. What did any of you do to get it taken care of? Our dealer has told us, “they haven’t heard of the transmission issue, and they would reset the electronics on the vehicle”. Nothing has worked and not being able to duplicate it has made it so they didn’t have to fix it while it was under warranty. Even though I had it in a few times regarding this shifting problem. Any advice would be great! Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Hi there! I have been having the Same problem with my 2017 gas Pacifica. When driving from a stop, i get to around 10- 15mph and it seems to lurch forward as though we have just been rear ended. It seems to me from what i have read on this forum that the shifter has problems. I am so frustrated and each time I take it in they cannot duplicate the shifting problem. I am so worried driving on busy Southern California freeways. People drive closely behind and when I cannot count on my acceleration to consistently work, I am scared of getting rear ended. What did any of you do to get it taken care of? Our dealer has told us, “they haven’t heard of the transmission issue, and they would reset the electronics on the vehicle”. Nothing has worked and not being able to duplicate it has made it so they didn’t have to fix it while it was under warranty. Even though I had it in a few times regarding this shifting problem. Any advice would be great! Thank you in advance!!
See my posts 106 and 109 in this thread. Call the FCA phone number in post 106. You might want to have info about the dealer where you intend to take van to and a possible appointment before you call.

The transmission is under the powertrain warranty (which is longer than OEM warranty) 5 years, 60,000 miles (I think).
If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings (click "your account" box) it will show up at the bottom of your posts. The build date is on the edge of the driver's door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Skish, what ended up happening in your case?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Pacifica and at first I loved it. I bought it with high miles so limited to what they will warranty.

I have been getting that jolt as well. It shot me up (speed up) and I almost hit the car in front of me. (Terrifying ) recently the car will do the same as someone mentioned. I will be on a incline and park. Then when I try to leave it just rev’s the engine and nothing until I turn off the car and re start it. This is an on going issue that I’m reading and it really stinks that we have to go through this with a newer car.

I rely on my car for work and this can’t keep happening. It’s not safe ! @ChryslerCares

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I purchased a 2017 Pacifica and at first I loved it. I bought it with high miles so limited to what they will warranty.

I have been getting that jolt as well. It shot me up (speed up) and I almost hit the car in front of me. (Terrifying ) recently the car will do the same as someone mentioned. I will be on a incline and park. Then when I try to leave it just rev’s the engine and nothing until I turn off the car and re start it. This is an on going issue that I’m reading and it really stinks that we have to go through this with a newer car.

I rely on my car for work and this can’t keep happening. It’s not safe ! @ChryslerCares
If your van has under 60,000 miles, the powertrain (transmission) should still be under warranty. If so, call the number in post #106 and see if Chrysler will work with the dealer to fix it.

If you have more than 60,000 miles, see how much the dealer would charge to reset transmission adaptations software. That tended to work for several thousand miles at a time on my van. Another fix mentioned in the forum is a transmission valve body part. That would probably be more expensive to replace.

In June 2020 at about 54,000 miles the dealer considered replacing the transmission valve body, but Chrysler had them replace the transmission under warranty. It is fine so far, but I think it is too soon to tell if the replacement transmission will have a problem.

A free option you can try that has worked for some people is in this thread. (Post 28)

If you put your van info in the signature line of account settings it will show up at the bottom of your posts and will help us answer your questions easier. The build date is on the edge of the driver's door. This is more significant on 2017s since there was more variation in the early 2017 models.

You can download more extensive owner's manuals from the Mopar website if desired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think getting @ChryslerCares involved for a start will help. It's now a hot link so just click on it and message them. I also recommend taking it to another dealership because it's sounds like the one you're currently taking it to sucks. You might also want to search for threads with the transmission keyword and see what others have done to remedy the issue.
I was having the same issue with my 2017 touring L. Was time for oil change and told my dealer what the transmission was doing and the service technician said he did a program update and it has not done it since. Obviously there was a directive from Chrysler on how to fix this. This was happening at between 15 and 20 thousand miles. Have 34 thousand miles on vehicle now and no issues with the transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@SciTchr I called the number in your post 106 yesterday, and after a lengthy phone call, I was unfortunately assigned the same case manager as when @ChryslerCares escalated a case for me 9 months ago. I will likely cancel my appointment because it ended with a tremendous amount of frustration for me the first time.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts